AMEX Benefits

Stella1250

Anybody who booked a Cunard cruise using either an AMEX Platinum or AMEX Centurion card should contact your TA or Cunard. My husband was reading some info on our TA site yesterday, and he came across the AMEX box. He called, and we received an additional $300 OBC and a bottle of wine for using our card to secure the booking. Had we not noticed this and called, we would not have gotten the benefit.

Quite correct tv24.  Priority Check-In and/or Boarding, 'on Cunard line' is a benefit for Grill guests and certain levels for  other guests of  Cunard world club. The boarding benefits have no relation to the type of credit card we use at the time of booking. 

However , having said that, yes there are indeed some benefits attached to certain credit cards when booking Cunard ,  as I've 'only just found out'. I've just been given a discount  when I paid my deposit  for a future Cunard cruise, because I hold/used a M&S  (Marks & Spencer) credit card.

I was not/never ever been aware of this before.  So annoying,  why are we in the uk not made more aware of this. 

Edited by Bell Boy

8 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Quite correct tv24.  Priority Check-In and/or Boarding, 'on Cunard line' is a benefit for Grill guests and certain levels for  other guests of  Cunard world club. The boarding benefits have no relation to the type of credit card we use at the time of booking. 

However , having said that, yes there are indeed some benefits attached to certain credit cards when booking Cunard ,  as I've 'only just found out'. I've just been given a discount  when I paid my deposit  for a future Cunard cruise, because I hold/used a M&S  (Marks & Spencer) credit card.

I was not/never ever been aware of this before.  So annoying,  why are we in the uk not made more aware of this. 

Bell Boy:  Don't feel alone or discriminated against.  To be honest, one needs to do a lot of research to learn about the full array of benefits that accrue to Amex card holders.  This means spending a reasonable amount of time on line.  Same thing for my bank's master card.  They don't make it easy for you, probably because they are trying to keep you from cashing in on the full benefits,  Good luck!

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Unfortunately as it's a TA site, it's against our guidelines to post a link or name the site.

I'd understand that if the benefit was conditional on booking through the company but these benefits only require using the card with any agent.

7 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I'd understand that if the benefit was conditional on booking through the company but these benefits only require using the card with any agent.

That may be the case but the link posted was to a TA site.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, Bell Boy said:

Bell Boy, did you book direct with Cunard to receive discount with M&S credit card?  Have never heard of this and certainly never been offered when using my M&S card.

Many thanks for the tip!

13 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

Try your TA or Amex. Either should show the benefit. Perhaps just going to an online cruise TA site and looking for it would give you the info.

I looked on AMEX..no luck. But thanks for your response.

10 hours ago, siobhancreanor said:

Bell Boy, did you book direct with Cunard to receive discount with M&S credit card?  Have never heard of this and certainly never been offered when using my M&S card.

Many thanks for the tip!

Yes, Booked direct with Cunard, I'd never heard of it either ( been sailing Cunard for almost 30 years)  The Agent over the telephone asked ,do I hold  "Any Credit Cards"....When I mentioned M&S amongst the list, she said if I use it for the deposit I could qualify for a discount ( I think it was an additional 5% ? ) 

She also went to say, that I needn't use the same card when paying the balance. 

Occasionally Amex offers $100 back if you charge $500 toward a cruise booking (valid on Carnival's "Worlds Leading Cruise Lines" which is most or all of the Carnival portfolio).  Look in Amex Offers in your online account. 

The terms suggest that it only works with a new booking but I've received the rebate by paying toward final payment or by buying a sufficient block of OBC, most recently at the beginning of this month. 

I have the blue Amex Everyday Cash card (I abstain from cards with an annual fee) and this offer shows up once or twice a year. 

8 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Occasionally Amex offers $100 back if you charge $500 toward a cruise booking (valid on Carnival's "Worlds Leading Cruise Lines" which is most or all of the Carnival portfolio).  Look in Amex Offers in your online account. 

The terms suggest that it only works with a new booking but I've received the rebate by paying toward final payment or by buying a sufficient block of OBC, most recently at the beginning of this month. 

I have the blue Amex Everyday Cash card (I abstain from cards with an annual fee) and this offer shows up once or twice a year. 

Yes--I have taken advantage of that in the past--very nice!

Looks like the current one might be for only certain Amex cards like their Platinum.

I just found a place where you can find the info about this promotion. If you go into Trip Advisor Cruises and find your cruise, right under the different cabin categories is an American Express box. Click on it and a dialogue box opens up explaining the promotion. It does include $300 OBC per cabin, a bottle of wine and priority check in and embarkation. Very interesting.