Pricing

I booked the Horizon in late Jan for Easter 8 day cruise. Mid priced balcony for two and then investigated the cost if my daughter and her son joined us. Same category cabin showed rates of $97 each for them plus port fees.  New ship—high demand week.

If the prices are truly higher on Carnival, I would book another line.

56 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

.I have never seen the 3rd and 4th person priced so much higher.

I wonder if you have bothered calling to make sure this is not a web site mistake???

not yet... But this isn't the only cruise I've looked at in months...

1 hour ago, becker80 said:

I priced out the same cruise for 4 people in a balcony room and guest 3 and 4 are about 1/2 the price of guest 1 & 2. Maybe it is just a glitch.

Yeah, that's what I said earlier too. The more "expensive base price" cabins give a cheaper 3rd person rate. I'm sure they realize it's a popular cruise time and they know people will pay it if they want to go.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

.I have never seen the 3rd and 4th person priced so much higher.

I wonder if you have bothered calling to make sure this is not a web site mistake???

if it's a glitch, then E-a.com has the same glitch, because they are offering the same pricing.

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I don't understand Carnival's pricing. We usually sail on Princess and RCI, and tried NCL, and all three charge less for the 3rd person than the first two, and even have specials like the 3/4 person free or deeply discounted.

I am looking at a Horizon cruise in April 2020, and our kid's price seems quite exorbitant.... For a cruise line that is supposedly child and family friendly, their pricing policy doesn't seem to be. Anyone care to explain this to me, please?

GUEST 1 $779.00  tax $130.52  total $909.52
GUEST 2 $779.00   tax $130.52   total  $909.52
GUEST 3 $959.00  tax $130.52   total  $1,089.52

I went into the Carnival website and did a mock booking and you are right for the interior pricing.  Very Strange.  However, OV and up has the first two guest at a higher price with the 3rd guest at a substantially lower price.  Perhaps there is a website error and you would benefit from calling directly. Or, book an OV for less that $100 more than interior. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I can reproduce your pricing for your cruise date/ship.  Unfortunately, it looks to be a case of supply and demand - there are relatively few 3-person interior cabins left, but lots (I mean lots!) of 2-person.  There were only two 3-person interiors left in the mid section of deck 2, for example.  At least 10 were offered for 2 person, and probably a lot more available (Carnival only shows you a selection of 10).

I cannot select the 3-person rooms when booking for only two people.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

If ya'll figure it all out....let me know.  The pricing never has made any sense to me - except for the obvious: Holiday/Break times cost more. Other than that - it's all madness. Holland sometimes charges more for inside than outside cabins...! Number of port calls vice sea days (the few the port calls, the less expensive, right??)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acheavacci said:

I went into the Carnival website and did a mock booking and you are right for the interior pricing.  Very Strange.  However, OV and up has the first two guest at a higher price with the 3rd guest at a substantially lower price.  Perhaps there is a website error and you would benefit from calling directly. Or, book an OV for less that $100 more than interior. Good luck!!

thanks. But I'd rather go on Princess for $2,200 inside than on Horizon for $2,900 inside or $3,000 for OV....

7 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’d guess it’s a simple supply and demand pricing strategy. You’re looking to cruise in April when lots of schools are on spring break so the 3/4 person cabins are in high demand so they raise the price because they’re going to get it from someone. Capitalism 101.

I don't know about New Jersey but most Missouri Schools take off in March!!

Mike

6 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

perhaps, I didn't make myself clear. We cannot go for cheaper fares in Jan-Feb, Sep-Nov, because we have a school aged kid.... That's why we always sail during Thanksgiving and spring break, but so far we haven't tried Carnival yet... When I price it (and I've been doing it for several months), this pricing method applies to all the Carnival cruises I look at, whereas NCL, Princess and RCI usually offer discounts for 3/4 persons. 

I did, and it's really not any better and even worse in some cases. For example, we are sailing on the Allure in 3 weeks for $1,600 total for 3 of us. Carnival doesn't even come close to that price.

and the price above is for an inside room on the Horizon, and we are sailing on a balcony on Regal Princess during Thanksgiving for $2,400 (plus free gratuities and $300 obc). It doesn't really compare favorably for Carnival to charge $3,000 for an inside cabin...

My advice would be to go to Royal,..i enjoyed my first experience with them in September!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

it's odd when you price out the Horizon for 4 people in an inside cabin.

1st $829

2nd $829

3rd  $959

4th $639

I've never seen the 3rd and 4th priced differently.

I have. Several times. We always cruise with a party of 4, so I am used to seeing the varying prices for the 3rd and 4th guests. It's all about supply and demand for the occupancy of the rooms. Some rooms hold 2, some 3, some 4, some 5. So if there are fewer 3 person rooms available, the cost for that 3rd person will be more, and then to add a 4th can be less, because there are more 4 person rooms than 3, and they may not have opened the 4 person rooms to be booked by a party of 3, yet. Capacity control. Same reason that the Magic sailing that we booked for next March, for 4 passengers, has the balcony rooms selling for several hundred less than an ocean view. Less ocean view rooms compared to balcony rooms, and I assume that groups of 4 really like having the additional shower/sink, that is in the OV rooms. 

Edited by gtonda
  • Like 1

I don't know who told you carnival was the cheapest ?.but we are taking a grandson who is in school on a cruise  next summer before he goes back.carnival is more expensive I got a 7 day cruise with msc for 800 less than a carnival 6 day for that same week same ports except msc includes their private island as the fourth port versus carnivals 3.sail with someone else instead of trying to figure out why they charge more.i actually like msc better than carnival.i like celebrity more but it's not a kids cruise line in my opinion.

Hmmm. We were on horizon at Christmas. We had 5 in a room. I dont remember the exact Mount, but me and hubby were a high price and the 3 kids were cheap in comparison I no longer have the price breakdown....but on my upcoming 2 sailings (imagination this mo th and breeze next christmas) passengers 3 and 4 in the rooms are a significant savings. 

just an FYI: just booked MSC Meraviglia, Apr 5 2020, inside, decent Western Caribbean itinerary.

Total Booking amount $1,660.13 ($453 per each adult, $293 for child, $154 tax pp).
Not too bad, is it? Better than Carnival.
Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

I would wait to book.  If you currently check for Horizon for April 2019, the 3rd guest is $369.  Seems like a pricing error.  If nothing else, get price protection and look for reduced prices in the future.  Call Carnival to book.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just an FYI: just booked MSC Meraviglia, Apr 5 2020, inside, decent Western Caribbean itinerary.

Total Booking amount $1,660.13 ($453 per each adult, $293 for child, $154 tax pp).

Pricing, yes.  Services and amenities, no.

21 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The price is better than Carnival.

The activities on MSC geared towards kids vs Carnival such as the Camp Ocean kids program, Seuss At Sea, Waterworks Slides, SportSquare, SkyRide, basketball /volleyball courts and overall experience for kids isn't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dlambright said:

I would wait to book.  If you currently check for Horizon for April 2019, the 3rd guest is $369.  Seems like a pricing error.  If nothing else, get price protection and look for reduced prices in the future.  Call Carnival to book.

not sure where you are seeing the $369 pricing at but on CCL's website it still showing $969 for the 3rd guest. At least for an inside cabin which the OP was looking at.