6 am flight or red eye?

Bridetobe88

We are cruising out of Port of Miami on a Sunday, and originally booked a Saturday morning flight to Fort Lauderdale that left at 7:30 am and arrived at 1:30 pm. We have a wonderful (splurge!) hotel booked in South Beach for Saturday night. The airline changed our flight itinerary and we are now flying out at 6 am Saturday and arriving at Fort Lauderdale at noon. To make the 6 am flight, we'll have to get up at 3 am. I'm a little frustrated because the original flight was late enough that we would be able to function and early enough that we would have the afternoon to enjoy in Miami. There's a big difference between getting up at 3 am vs 4:30 am! We don't go to bed until close to midnight usually, and especially with the excitement, of our trip probably won't sleep much, so I know we'll be dead tired. Our airline will allow us to change our flight at no cost due to the itinerary change, and I am toying with the idea of switching to the red-eye to Miami. It departs midnight on Saturday and arrives in Miami at 5:50 am. I know we are going to be exhausted either way, so part of me is thinking well maybe it's better to be exhausted by a gorgeous pool or beach. The pros for the 6 am are that we may get a little bit more sleep if we can snag a few hours before leaving for the airport and a couple on the plane. The cons are that if we don't, the little bit of afternoon we'll have may be spent exhausted and not enjoying our gorgeous hotel. The pros for the red eye are that we get to spend the whole day in Miami. The cons are that we will be dead tired and can't check in until 4pm, so any napping would have to take place by the pool or on the beach. What would you guys do? For the record, I am usually able to sleep on planes and my husband sometimes can if he's tired enough. 

Unless flying first class with lie flat seats than a red eye is out of the question. 

But this is really not that big of a deal. Its only 90 min earlier and while you don't say when or from where in TX you are starting there is a chance it might change again.   You are seriously over thinking this.  If it changed form 7:30am to 3pm then that's an issue...but 90 min earlier is just a bonus as you will be in FL earlier.

34 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

Unless flying first class with lie flat seats than a red eye is out of the question. 

But this is really not that big of a deal. Its only 90 min earlier and while you don't say when or from where in TX you are starting there is a chance it might change again.   You are seriously over thinking this.  If it changed form 7:30am to 3pm then that's an issue...but 90 min earlier is just a bonus as you will be in FL earlier.

I live in Denver, actually - just updated my profile location. I appreciate your response, but I wasn't asking whether or not I am overthinking it. I enjoy planning and only get to go on one big trip per year, so I will happily continue to "overthink" things! I do see everyone's perspective about the pros of the 6am, which is why I'm still strongly considering keeping my flight. Just thought it was worth hearing from others who have taken red-eyes, as I have only taken one before in my life.

Edited by Bridetobe88

I'd do the red eye.  Even if you take a nap at the hotel for a couple hours or by the pool or whatever.  I do the red eyes from Vegas all the time.  Tired in the morning but I perk up and get through the day just fine.

We normally take a 6AM flight to FLL. Contact the hotel to see if you can get an early check in time. We get a hotel the night before we fly out so we don't have to get up so early to drive straight to the airport. It is much more relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in CA so when flying to the East coast for whatever reason, I will always choose a red eye.  I don't really sleep on the plane, but I'd rather arrive first thing in the morning and have the whole day ahead of me than arrive late afternoon and be scrambling to get to wherever I need to go.  I find that adrenaline kicks in and I don't feel the tiredness so much, plus it helps with the jet lag since I can go to bed at "normal" bedtime for the time zone since I'll be exhausted by then!

I currently have three separate trips planned either ending or connecting through Florida, and I've scheduled them to all be red eyes.  There's absolutely zero reason to waste daylight hours on a plane when I can get that part done while the world sleeps.

I hate a redeye more than anything but in this case, I would pick the redeye.

You can check in as soon as your room is ready.  I've checked into hotels as early as 8AM and have gotten a room.

You are also allowed to use the hotel pool as soon as you arrive.