Someone convince me to spend over $400 on the RCI Amazing Secret River excursion

fl-girl

We head out on Allure in a matter of days and I can't find a single excursion that sounds awesome to us in Cozumel. Problem is we aren't really beach, booze or shopping people, so that cuts out 95% of Cozumel's "fun." We are spending money on excursions at other ports and wanted our Cozumel excursion to be a little more affordable, but the only thing I can find that looks fun/different is the "Amazing Secret River and PDC" excursion that will be $436 for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 teens). I know, I know... I'm being cheap, but is ONE day in a cave really worth that much money? I'm hoping to find someone who did it and LOVED it and who wants to sell me on forking out this much money for this excursion. My kids haven't been to Mexico before so I hate to just stay on the boat. We're from FL and my kids hate the beach so have no interest in a beach club day. 

Anyone want to amaze me with a story of secret river awesomeness? I'd be forever grateful. My bank account, however, may not be.

We had a wonderful time on this excursion last year!  The caves were fascinating.  Water a bit cold but they provide wetsuits.  Lunch at the small beach resort afterward was excellent.  But only 2 of us so more affordable.

Do a ship excursion to Tulum. Ruins are interesting but views are fabulous.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. My hubby and I have been to Tulum before and we're heading up to some ruins when we go to Costa Maya. I'm glad to hear the excursion is worth it though - thanks crewsweeper! 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, crewsweeper said:

We had a wonderful time on this excursion last year!  The caves were fascinating.  Water a bit cold but they provide wetsuits.  Lunch at the small beach resort afterward was excellent.  But only 2 of us so more affordable.

Do a ship excursion to Tulum. Ruins are interesting but views are fabulous.

Researched this excursion recently...two people on our roll call have done it before and said it is a once in a lifetime experience. We booked it, but it is only two of us going in May. We are taking four teens on Allure in July...not sure if we would spend that amount on six of us. Plus you know you will want to buy the pictures they take at $99! I feel your pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well damn - we finally decided to fork out the dough and book the excursion - got the kids all excited about it and we sat down and it's GONE FROM THE LIST! My guess is it has sold out 😞

Soooooo.... is the Chaak-Tun trip as good? Or is it a waste of money? I'm so so so bummed. This is just so typical of our luck 😞 

Any advice?

maybe look into trikes cozumel and ride around the island.   

We are doing a snorkel and deep sea fishing on a small boat with Fishing with Pedro.  Probably the same cost as what you would pay for the underground secret river (which was also on my list to do but we are doing ruins the day before in belize and that is a long  two days).  Pedro is taking us fishing, then to el cielo to the beautiful quiet beach where there are star fish and a few friendly rays.   Then we will snorkel on the way back.  

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Why?

Why indeed....because the ship's tour is sold out and the OP could probably find a private tour for less money that goes to the same place that isn't sold out.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mac66 said:

Why indeed....because the ship's tour is sold out and the OP could probably find a private tour for less money that goes to the same place that isn't sold out.

Oh - well I think the OP is probably on their cruise right now from their posts.

However since they are sailing on the Allure they would have the added hassle of getting  a taxi to and from the tender pier from International if they try to do the excursion on their own. I have seen the ships have to wait too often for the designated charter tender (which the ship excursions use which goes straight to the cruiseline pier) to risk trying to do a mainland excursion on our own from Cozumel.

we normally do private excursions but wouldn't  risk it in this case.

27 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Oh - well I think the OP is probably on their cruise right now from their posts.

However since they are sailing on the Allure they would have the added hassle of getting  a taxi to and from the tender pier from International if they try to do the excursion on their own. I have seen the ships have to wait too often for the designated charter tender (which the ship excursions use which goes straight to the cruiseline pier) to risk trying to do a mainland excursion on our own from Cozumel.

we normally do private excursions but wouldn't  risk it in this case.

Just offering it as a suggestion to the OP as a way to do the secret caves.  You are free to do what you feel most comfortable.  Some people have no problem booking private tours in Coz.