Do "guarantees" get upsell offers?

DaveOKC

Someone just asked me this in another topic and I was not sure of the answer.

We are both on the same cruise and the person who booked a specific cabin (SS category) received an upsell offer to a Neptune, but the person who booked a SS guarantee did not!

Is this unusual or the standard procedure?

I have a VH guarantee. I did just receive an upgrade offer to a VF (which was ridiculously expensive at $99/pp -- I could have purchased it for less earlier if I thought it had value). So (at least some) guarantees do get offers.

Last June I booked a SC guarantee.  I was offered an upsell to the Pinnacle.  I declined.  By the way, we were assigned a SA, just a few doors away from Neptune Lounge.

I understand this is not a recent scenario, but, thought I would throw it out there.  I booked direct with a PC.  

This past November I was booked in an specific obstructed OV and I was not offered an upsell.  There was a lot of availability in higher class cabins.  I booked direct with PC.  This blew my theory that booking direct  gives great assurance of an upsell if there was a lot of availability.

Hello,

Can’t figure out how HAL does it either.  We booked a guarantee for a long cruise where shorter portions can also be purchased.  We have noticed that on our long segment, not many rooms or suites left however, after typing in the shorter segments there are plenty of all room types and better rooms available especially in suite categories.  We are anxious to find out what we get, they are really trying to sell rooms now at a discount to TA’s.  

Good Luck and happy sailing!  Sandipalms

On 3/7/2019 at 3:45 PM, DaveOKC said:

Someone just asked me this in another topic and I was not sure of the answer.

We are both on the same cruise and the person who booked a specific cabin (SS category) received an upsell offer to a Neptune, but the person who booked a SS guarantee did not!

Is this unusual or the standard procedure?

I heard back from my PCC and was told that there were no active upsell offers and they wouldn't be going out until about 14 days prior to cruise. I was also told I could pay to upgrade to a SB or SC and keep my Explore 4 for $700pp. Needless to say, I declined. PCC sent me a list of about 12 cabins that were left. 

The only thing I can figure is maybe they oversold SS guarantees so they needed to open many of those up but who knows. This will probably remain a mystery.

8 hours ago, Snowesha said:

I heard back from my PCC and was told that there were no active upsell offers and they wouldn't be going out until about 14 days prior to cruise. I was also told I could pay to upgrade to a SB or SC and keep my Explore 4 for $700pp. Needless to say, I declined. PCC sent me a list of about 12 cabins that were left. 

The only thing I can figure is maybe they oversold SS guarantees so they needed to open many of those up but who knows. This will probably remain a mystery.

This does not sense to me (I am not doubting you, but rather your PCC).

First, I know first hand that not everyone gets an upsell offer when they go out in the first wave (it has happened to me).  I have no idea (nor does my PCC) why this is.  Maybe they are trying to limit the number of calls, or perhaps there is some measure they use (like how much you paid for your cruise).

Second, I was offered  earlier this week but before the upsells came out (on the same cruise) to upgrade myself from a SS to a SC Neptune for  the difference between what I paid for the SS six months ago ($1034) and the current SC price ($1449) - thus $415 (I declined).  So, unless you only paid $749 for your SS guarantee, the $700 upcharge does not make sense.

A thought - you might try calling your PCC today (I assume he/she is not working on the weekends) and when you get the voicemail, transfer to the PCC who is covering for them today.  Then simply ask them what it would cost to upgrade yourself to a SC Neptune.  Its worth a shot and you might be surprised what happens (at least you would verify what your PCC is telling you) - please let us know the results if you do this.

Good Luck!

Wondering, if you have a PCC who isn't working weekends, can't you just call the

HAL reservations number and talk to an agent about a possible upsell? Or are they not allowed to talk to a client who has a PCC? That would make no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Wondering, if you have a PCC who isn't working weekends, can't you just call the

HAL reservations number and talk to an agent about a possible upsell? Or are they not allowed to talk to a client who has a PCC? That would make no sense to me.

Well, I guess you could just do that, but I thought that my PCC has a person that she mentions on her voice mail to ask for.  I only did this once and it worked great - very helpful person.

I do not think that the "upsell department" works weekends, so you may not get anyone to address your question, but it cannot hurt to try this approach. 

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

This does not sense to me (I am not doubting you, but rather your PCC).

First, I know first hand that not everyone gets an upsell offer when they go out in the first wave (it has happened to me).  I have no idea (nor does my PCC) why this is.  Maybe they are trying to limit the number of calls, or perhaps there is some measure they use (like how much you paid for your cruise).

Second, I was offered  earlier this week but before the upsells came out (on the same cruise) to upgrade myself from a SS to a SC Neptune for  the difference between what I paid for the SS six months ago ($1034) and the current SC price ($1449) - thus $415 (I declined).  So, unless you only paid $749 for your SS guarantee, the $700 upcharge does not make sense.

A thought - you might try calling your PCC today (I assume he/she is not working on the weekends) and when you get the voicemail, transfer to the PCC who is covering for them today.  Then simply ask them what it would cost to upgrade yourself to a SC Neptune.  Its worth a shot and you might be surprised what happens (at least you would verify what your PCC is telling you) - please let us know the results if you do this.

Good Luck!

Hi Dave- Just curious, do you have the Explore 4? That seems to be the hang up for me I think.

48 minutes ago, Snowesha said:

Hi Dave- Just curious, do you have the Explore 4? That seems to be the hang up for me I think.

No Explore4 for me but that should not be a problem on the upsell (they just make us all pay $X more.  

Could be a problem on the refaring though, as they usually want you to give up any promotions (understandable I guess).  

I noticed this at the bottom of my PCC’s email this past week.

*Please Note: The Office of the Personal Cruise Consultants is closed on Saturday and Sundays - effective March 2nd, 2019.*

My PCC typically didn’t work weekends anyway so I didn’t think anything about it but it appears to be a new standard. 

7 minutes ago, Ricktan said:

I noticed this at the bottom of my PCC’s email this past week.

*Please Note: The Office of the Personal Cruise Consultants is closed on Saturday and Sundays - effective March 2nd, 2019.*

My PCC typically didn’t work weekends anyway so I didn’t think anything about it but it appears to be a new standard. 

I believe prior to this, they had one PCC working weekends.  I suspect they rotated.

It took a little persistence but this morning I am finally in a Neptune Guarantee at no additional charge. I did give up some of the explore 4 perks but through negotiating was able to get future cruise credits plus keep some of my OBC. I am thrilled and excited to say the least. Thank you everybody for the advise and encouragement! I don't even mind the fact that it is a guarantee (I was in a SS guarantee anyway). 26 days and counting!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Got our upsell offer a few hours ago and JUMPED on it!  Inside to Verandah!!!  I am happier than I imagined!

Congratulations!!  Thanks for the update.  It is helpful to all of us.  Have a wonderful cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I booked Guaranteed Inside during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.  Price went down by 50% in January so I had my TA call HAL and (only after making a 2nd call to get a yes) we were upgraded to a Verandah cabin and actually given the cabin #.  We were mid-ship on the Verandah Deck overlooking the lifeboats but it was free.  Plus HAL threw in two $100 Beverage cards and a dinner in the Pinnacle.

I was so happy with HAL before even sailing with them the first time.