*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

Ok well room upgrade was not possible so here we are making lemonade out of lemons.  Had them remove the table to create more space, plus the robes which we never use to free up a shelf, etc.  I will in future suggest to our travel agent to warn folks that cabins on Eurodam are smaller than older HAL ships which we are used to sailing (3 * Mariners here) - having that information beforehand would have prepared us better since we had not sailed Eurodam prior to today.  However, might not have made much difference in the grand scheme of things as there was a huge line at the guest relations desk of Verandah guests complaining their cabins were too small!  Eurodam is definitely built with smaller staterooms than the Signature or Vista Class.  Very disappointed in the don’t care attitude of the Guest Services employees, but the dining room and room steward staff have been top notch as usual.   Que Sera Sera.  Other than cabin size the ship is lovely, I am actually one of the few who appreciate the redesigned Crows Nest.  Some pics from the Thermal Suite:

A005CAD4-AE4B-4162-93CF-C075FFA7052A.jpeg

1D0DDE8E-AC62-4CD9-803B-2B45A71EF332.jpeg

4114B5C9-9717-495D-B20C-0594ADA0D8D9.jpeg

1734803C-4E89-4E60-9B2D-E55A44675703.jpeg

Edited by seamist

Now for the hottest topic on the board lately....is there really a $10 charge for a 2nd entree?  Answer......YES.  Please note the small print on the bottom of the dining room menu:

74CFF608-1DD5-427E-8611-04F703FEEE79.jpeg

I did not make it top side to the sail away, was a bit chilly so we just went to dinner.  The Captain has informed us the next couple of days heading toward Honolulu are going to be a bit choppy.  We are heading into a front moving across which will make the seas a bit rougher than usual, so I suspect I will be hanging around the Thermal Suite 🙂.   Tonight’s program:

B50C199B-05A7-45B6-B9C2-87C0D882D8BF.jpeg

I am sorry to hear you were not able to move.  Is the ship full?  It seems they were advertising the cruise up until the time it left.  Thank you for the pictures.  It is nice seeing the ship and it is helpful to see the drink menu/prices.  Enjoy the thermal suite.

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I am sorry to hear you were not able to move.  Is the ship full?  It seems they were advertising the cruise up until the time it left.  Thank you for the pictures.  It is nice seeing the ship and it is helpful to see the drink menu/prices.  Enjoy the thermal suite.

No, they are apparently willing to sail with empty cabins, the price they were quoting us to move was 3 times what the last upsell price quote was prior to leaving home.  We would rather spend that money on Thermal Suite, excursions, another whole cruise so that’s that. 

You are very welcome and thank you!

Thanks for posting.  Sorry about the room.  Regarding the robes, as we never even wear them we took them off the hangers and folded them and put them on the shelf in the cupboard, when we got home we were surprised to see an extra charge on our visa credit card, I called HAL and they said it was for a robe.  It took six weeks to get the money credited back.  We also get the room stewards to clean out the mini bar.  In future we are going to ask for a noted acknowledgement that the mini bar has been cleaned out by the stewards and we will give the room stewards the robes too.  Love the pictures.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Let me get this straight in my head.  You arrived 10 am and waited until noon to board.

Why not have arrive at 1 and been onboard at 1:15?

David

That way you get to be among the first to board!  Nice to walk the almost empty ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, seamist said:

No, they are apparently willing to sail with empty cabins, the price they were quoting us to move was 3 times what the last upsell price quote was prior to leaving home.

We disembarked Eurodam yesterday, and a few crew members commented to us they would be sailing with a “few hundred” less passengers on your 28 day cruise. It would be interesting to inquire again after 4-5 days if they would sell you an upgrade for a more reasonable amount.

i had to chuckle at your comment about verandah passengers lining up at Guest Relations to complain about cabin size. What the heck can the employees do about it?!

We had terrific weather the entire trip, and hope you do as well. Have fun!

7 hours ago, BEAV said:

We disembarked Eurodam yesterday, and a few crew members commented to us they would be sailing with a “few hundred” less passengers on your 28 day cruise. It would be interesting to inquire again after 4-5 days if they would sell you an upgrade for a more reasonable amount.

i had to chuckle at your comment about verandah passengers lining up at Guest Relations to complain about cabin size. What the heck can the employees do about it?!

We had terrific weather the entire trip, and hope you do as well. Have fun!

We were on the sailing before yours and was curious about the weather you experienced. We had horrible weather and seas until we got to Ensenada. We only made two ports (overnighting in Honolulu where we had mega winds) and when we tied up in Hilo the ship moved like we were still at sea. It even took me another week home to finally get my land legs back. Upside, we relaxed and enjoyed our cabin and really liked our first time on the Eurodam.

7 hours ago, BEAV said:

Thanks for taking us along with you..... and for the terrific photos, menus, and dialog. 

Why I asked was because embarkation was not pleasant.  With so many 4 & 5 Star Mariners, it took a long time for other very loyal HAL guests to get onboard.  

This was predictable because the longer the cruise, the more ***** are going to sail.....but 2 & 3 Star Mariners have high expectations and they sometimes are disappointed.

David

28 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Thanks for taking us along with you..... and for the terrific photos, menus, and dialog. 

Why I asked was because embarkation was not pleasant.  With so many 4 & 5 Star Mariners, it took a long time for other very loyal HAL guests to get onboard.  

This was predictable because the longer the cruise, the more ***** are going to sail.....but 2 & 3 Star Mariners have high expectations and they sometimes are disappointed.

David

Thank you.  Yes, we did have to wait for all those 4 and 5 stars to board, and when they were calling letter E before they ever got to a Group One a few groans were heard!  Still, we’ve waited longer so wasn’t too bad 😁