DIffuser and essential oils

Has anyone ever taken their small portable plug in diffuser on a cruise? I will not be taking my daily regular diffuser but I use this small plug in one when we stay overnight at a hotel?image.png.31cebad2dbdc371c86e5bd9cdbae55c0.png

I know I should have no problem taking essential oils on the airplane (already traveled to California with oils) and hopefully the cruise ship. Just not sure if this plug in diffuser will get me sent to the naughty room.

1 minute ago, teachingforme said:

I understand about the heating element issue. But my flat iron and blow dryer both having heating elements so they should be confiscated each time?

Does anyone have personal experience with this?

There are exceptions for hair appliances.

From: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. 

I took mine, put it in a gallon size plastic bag and put them in the middle of my packing cube with shorts in it ant there was no problem. It was such a nice thing to have on the cruise and something I will always pack to help keep us healthy amongst all the germs.

• Like 1

This is one trend I do not get.  I work with about three women who use essential oil diffusers and the smells drive me crazy.  The odor doesn't stay in their office.  It wafts out into the hall way and occasionally I can smell it in my office.  Not everyone wants to smell it. 

Since it plugs in, I'd say it can be confiscated.  Also, if they don't have "heating elements" how exactly do they heat the oil?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a personal note, I have to say, I agree. They are used in my office as well & frequently are aggravating if not downright offensive. What makes people think we all want to smell this in shared spaces? They belong in private areas only (like the OP’s cabin). Sorry for the rant, but my allergies are easily set off.

As for your plug, I also suspect it may land you in the naughty room if you get someone smart who understands what it is & how it works. But you may just as likely not get that person, and be fine. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people love their essential oils and others love perfume and cologne. And some like no smell at all.

I always travel with some of our favorite oils. I will have to decide if I want to pack the mini diffuser. Lavender helps my son fall asleep quickly and into a deep restful sleep.

5 hours ago, schmeed said:

From: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. 

Looks like covered on this. OP, leave it at home

• Like 1

People need to be more conscious of what they use in public.  If it’s in you room and you enjoy it go ahead.  It’s just the smell of heavy perfume in the elevator early in the morning.  Why does someone pour that stuff on so early?  I am a big fan of aroma therapy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, motherof said:

I have a small, USB-powered travel diffusor. No heat - just misting. No problem with it on Anthem.

What is it misting, oil?  Does the oil leave residue on surrounding surfaces?  As a person with allergies, I am just wondering how these work as I know lavender is a popular oil and I am allergic.

42 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

What is it misting, oil?  Does the oil leave residue on surrounding surfaces?  As a person with allergies, I am just wondering how these work as I know lavender is a popular oil and I am allergic.

Agree, know many allergic similar. Bad enough when use to stay in smoking rooms when had them, now something else left behind...

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

About half a cup of water with one drop of oil, in my case. The mist is very fine, and there is no residue. I'm very sensitive to artificial fragrances, so I have to be very careful about the sourcing of my oils. They've become so popular that many have been adulterated with something less pure, and I'll start sneezing if they are used around me. 

The ones I use evaporate quickly, and I can't smell them within an hour after diffusing.

Lavender - I'm not allergic to it, but I can't sleep if I've been exposed to it within an hour of bedtime. But I have opposite reactions to a lot of things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, motherof said:

About half a cup of water with one drop of oil, in my case. The mist is very fine, and there is no residue. I'm very sensitive to artificial fragrances, so I have to be very careful about the sourcing of my oils. They've become so popular that many have been adulterated with something less pure, and I'll start sneezing if they are used around me. 

The ones I use evaporate quickly, and I can't smell them within an hour after diffusing.

Lavender - I'm not allergic to it, but I can't sleep if I've been exposed to it within an hour of bedtime. But I have opposite reactions to a lot of things.

Thanks for the explanation.  I know on our recent Anthem cruise, a lot of the younger families were talking about bringing essential oils and were giving their kids elderberry syrup before the sailing to help keep kids healthy.  Didn't seem to help as lots got the flu or upper respiratory infections on our sailing.

Many of the essential oil diffusers use ultrasonics to turn the water into a mist, not heat.  These types are acceptable, but  ones that use heat to evaporate the oil, just like plug in air fresheners are not allowed.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BND said:

This is one trend I do not get.  I work with about three women who use essential oil diffusers and the smells drive me crazy.  The odor doesn't stay in their office.  It wafts out into the hall way and occasionally I can smell it in my office.  Not everyone wants to smell it. 

Since it plugs in, I'd say it can be confiscated.  Also, if they don't have "heating elements" how exactly do they heat the oil?

I diffuse daily in my class. My students love the smell and it helps with stinky 5th grade body odor. I have to wonder about the quality of the oils your work mates are using if it is that strong. I spend good money for pure oils and never have had a person in the hall way complain. I also tend to use more citrus in my class to help freshen the room.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maria1122 said:

People need to be more conscious of what they use in public.  If it’s in you room and you enjoy it go ahead.  It’s just the smell of heavy perfume in the elevator early in the morning.  Why does someone pour that stuff on so early?  I am a big fan of aroma therapy.

Agree, I roll on my feet or wrist so you have to get up close and personal to smell it on me. I rather smell natural smell than those who over perfume.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:15 AM, wsbond said:

I took mine, put it in a gallon size plastic bag and put them in the middle of my packing cube with shorts in it ant there was no problem. It was such a nice thing to have on the cruise and something I will always pack to help keep us healthy amongst all the germs.

LMAO about keeping us healthy amongst all the germs.

While the aromas may help you to relax, the aromas that are generated most likely do not keep you healthy from germs.

• Like 1