Need to buy Drink Package on Royal Caribbean?

Just to reiterate...No, you don't need the drink package.

The last time I checked the drink package was on sale for $44/day (though that may have changed) . At $44/day it would be $308/person for the week.  If that's not an issue go for it. Generally speaking both people in the cabin have to buy it (though there are ways around that).

If that is an issue economically be aware that water, juices, iced tea, coffee etc are available for free (with the cost of the cruise).   You can carry a water bottle or insulated mug and fill them up as you go.  You can also get ice out of the coke machines without buying the drink package. 

Also be aware that you can carry two bottles of wine (per cabin) on board.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mac66 said:

The last time I checked the drink package was on sale for $44/day (though that may have changed) . At $44/day it would be $308/person for the week.  If that's not an issue go for it. Generally speaking both people in the cabin have to buy it (though there are ways around that).

If that is an issue economically be aware that water, juices, iced tea, coffee etc are available for free (with the cost of the cruise).   You can carry a water bottle or insulated mug and fill them up as you go.  You can also get ice out of the coke machines without buying the drink package. 

With fees that $44/day becomes $363/week per person. Not a crazy amount of money if you enjoy drinking on vacation, which I do lol. On the other hand, my next cruise is a 14 night transatlantic, $1453 for two adult drinks packages, way too much for us. I plan to drink, but will make do with less. 

Health-wise, I'm more concerned with the amount of sugar in my drinks than the alcohol. There tends to be a lot of the former and not so much of the latter (at least in the fru-fru drinks by the pool).

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am curious, however, about the level of concern expressed by a post about whether a drink package makes sense — when posted on a thread started about whether packages make sense.

Funny, people get defensive when you say they are most likely alcohlics if they choose to buy a drink package while on vacation.

I am curious as to how you thought the post you made, in which you said, about the drink package " if it does make economic sense for you,  you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem!" would not offend people.

(for the record---I do not buy the pacakge.  I usually use 1-2 of my Diamond coupons for a alcoholic drink which i asked to have mixed very weak and the other 1-2 on Cokes if at all----but I don't think others who enjoy more while on vacation are anything other than people on vacation.  My horse just is not that high)

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 3

I’m not a heavy alcohol consumer at home.  Normally I may 3-4 (if that) per week.  I do, unfortunately, drink a lot of soda.  Generally the cost difference between the soda package and the deluxe package equates to roughly 3 alcoholic drinks per day, and fewer if you also eat bottled water, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice, smoothies, etc.  We had never bought the alcohol package, but will be for our next cruise.  We had the soda package before, but by the time you add a few mixed drinks or beers to the tab, you’ve spent nearly as much, if not the same,had you simply purchased the alcohol package.  To some, it’s not a matter of breaking even or being cost effective.  It may be a matter of being a tool of limiting/controlling  their out of pocket expenses.  For example, if they spent $500 for a package, they pretty much know that there won’t be any surprise expenses for drinks while onboard and they won’t accidentally exceed what they have budgeted for.  

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I did not say that it did not make economic sense - just that,  if it does make economic sense for you,  you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem: which, for a man, is defined as more than 4 drinks a day or more than 14 drinks a week (lower limits for a woman).  

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I never suggested anyone was an alcoholic.

Just how high is your horse?

Did you not tell them they have a drinking problem?   Just say you are sorry and move on.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You really need to be a serious drinker (verging on having what might well be called a drinking problem) for a drink package to make economic sense. Do the math, count the drinks, consider the limitations (daily caps, no service to the already inebriated, port days ashore, etc.) and remember to add in the gratuities before going for it.

That's BS - there are no daily caps, we were never not served because we know our limits and weren't trying to ask for more when we knew we'd reached it and even with the one day we had more than enough in Cozumel we never felt we hadn't broken even.  We drink more on vacation but we don't have problems with it, we loved not having to sign every receipt, we got great service, my husband loved the fresh OJ every morning too, my son and his GF got sodas as well and we all made good use of the package.  We liked trying some things we didn't finish because we didn't like or for me they were too sweet but even just relaxing by the pool deck all day we weren't ever going crazy but easily reached enough drinks to break even or beyond.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

With fees that $44/day becomes $363/week per person. Not a crazy amount of money if you enjoy drinking on vacation, which I do lol. On the other hand, my next cruise is a 14 night transatlantic, $1453 for two adult drinks packages, way too much for us. I plan to drink, but will make do with less. 

Health-wise, I'm more concerned with the amount of sugar in my drinks than the alcohol. There tends to be a lot of the former and not so much of the latter (at least in the fru-fru drinks by the pool).

Yeah we've talked about if we'd do it on a longer length cruise - because while we indulge on vacation, we don't indulge for days on end on longer cruises BUT we really love not having to sign the receipts too and we'd weigh total cost against that.  I lost my sweet tooth so can say I feel I broke even without soda, juice, coffees or anything other than water bottles, vodka&water drinks and beer at playmakers.

5 hours ago, mac66 said:

You can also get ice out of the coke machines without buying the drink package. 

We loved this about the Freestyle machines for getting ice and water as I need to make sure I'm always hydrated and carry a yeti cup with me.  Having them in the WJ and on the promenade on Indy was great!

Since we had the drink package they would always hand us bottles of water when we asked for water which was fine but I like my water cold and it was a fight to get ice so the freestyle machines were awesome!

33 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I never suggested anyone was an alcoholic.

Just how high is your horse?

" if it does make economic sense for you,  you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem!""

the above quote, posted by you (which I quoted previously and you cut that part above, interesting) absolutely suggests that those who get the package are alcoholics.  

THAT is what people responded to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

" if it does make economic sense for you,  you  probably fall into the definition of having a drinking problem!""

the above quote, posted by you (which I quoted previously and you cut that part above, interesting) absolutely suggests that those who get the package are alcoholics.  

Exactly, thanks xxHadleyxx!  

We buy it to not worry about what we order and when we order or what we drink or don't.  We've found we usually exceed the cost or break even but even if we didn't we still felt the convenience well worth it. This has been on 8 night or shorter cruises and we'll probably continue to have this as part of our cruise budget as for us this just adds to our enjoyment - not the drinking but the not thinking about it every time you order, not having to sign, etc.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Perhaps with a better grasp of the English language you would understand that having a drinking problem and being an alcoholic are totally different things.   Saying that someone falls “into the definition of having a drinking problem” does not in any way suggests that she/he is an alcoholic.

I am sorry that you seem upset by my stating certain facts and opinions concerning drinking  - which you advise do not apply to you - so I do not understand your persistence in pursing this theme any more than I understand your insistence on misquoting me;   in either case I see no reason to continue this interchange.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, navybankerteacher said:

You really need to be a serious drinker (verging on having what might well be called a drinking problem) for a drink package to make economic sense. Do the math, count the drinks, consider the limitations (daily caps, no service to the already inebriated, port days ashore, etc.) and remember to add in the gratuities before going for it.

REALLY????

So a fresh squeezed OJ and two specialty coffees, a couple of drinks during the day at the pool  Wine with dinner and an evening drink equals having a drinking problem?

REALLY????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps with a better grasp of the English language you would understand that having a drinking problem and being an alcoholic are totally different things.   Saying that someone falls “into the definition of having a drinking problem” does not in any way suggests that she/he is an alcoholic.

Maybe you need to learn English, or maybe you speak English and not AMERICAN.

"Having a drinking problem" is a euphemism for being an alcoholic.

• Like 3

I am undecided about whether the drink package is worth it for me.

I have a glass of wine with dinner and one before bed (helps me fall asleep) every night.    I have a bottled water and two cappucinos in the morning, one diet coke at lunch, and I drink 3 or 4 bottled waters throughout the day.

I have had th beverage packages on other cruises as an added perk.   But I am not sure if I will do it on my upcoming cruise as it is $450 for nine days.  That's a lot of money.  I think I can do better on my own - coffee card and 3 night dining package with wine discount.  I can buy water in port and avoid soda.

Edited by AnnaNicole

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Maybe you need to learn English, or maybe you speak English and not AMERICAN.

"Having a drinking problem" is a euphemism for being an alcoholic.

Yes, a euphemism used by those careless in  use of language, or simply ignorant.

An alcoholic has a defined condition : alcoholism is essentially an addiction - a physical and psychological dependence upon alcohol, with clearly defined symptoms.  A drinking problem can be one of many things: anti-social behavior after drinking, slurred speech, reduced reaction time, reduced inhibitions.

While alcoholism might be seen as an extreme problem resulting from both genetic disposition as well as over-consumption, it is so extreme that just calling it a drinking problem is comparable to calling a murderer  someone with difficulty in interpersonal relations.

OP:  You have not yet even ONCE accepted the fact that people buying the package can well do so for economic purposes. My wife will have at most a mimosa and 2 glasses of wine at dinner. But we can get her bottled water, higher-end decaf teas, smoothies, and juices throughout the day. I cannot usually drink many sugary drinks, but I am looking forward to having a week-long chance to sample the types of coffees and expresso drinks I never want to buy at home--I expect to have 2 to 3 a day, plus bottled water, a lite beer, wine, and a double single malt Scotch. Coupled with the ease of not having to sign all the time (it was fun spending 30 mins at GS during our last formal night dinner b/c the theater waiter had traded my card for someone else's), it can make for a more enjoyable experience.

Here is a suggestion: Accept that a better statement could be "If you find that it makes economic sense only because (or gives an excuse for) you engage in binge drinking, you might have a drinking problem." 

And accept that some people will still resent your haughty judgmental attitude. But at least this suggestion corrects that your generalization is clearly way too broad.

34 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

OP:  You have not yet even ONCE accepted the fact that people buying the package can well do so for economic purposes. My wife will have at most a mimosa and 2 glasses of wine at dinner. But we can get her bottled water, higher-end decaf teas, smoothies, and juices throughout the day. I cannot usually drink many sugary drinks, but I am looking forward to having a week-long chance to sample the types of coffees and expresso drinks I never want to buy at home--I expect to have 2 to 3 a day, plus bottled water, a lite beer, wine, and a double single malt Scotch. Coupled with the ease of not having to sign all the time (it was fun spending 30 mins at GS during our last formal night dinner b/c the theater waiter had traded my card for someone else's), it can make for a more enjoyable experience.

Here is a suggestion: Accept that a better statement could be "If you find that it makes economic sense only because (or gives an excuse for) you engage in binge drinking, you might have a drinking problem." 

And accept that some people will still resent your haughty judgmental attitude. But at least this suggestion corrects that your generalization is clearly way too broad.

Humm.. Just politely pointing out that the OP is not the one suggesting or mentioning "Drinking Problems".  The OP simply ask the question if it is possible to get/purchase drinks onboard without having to buy a package.

To the OP, I feel bad for you, Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I'm sure this was not the reaction you were expecting😉

We probably scared them off.

dp

Edited by dpostman

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

An alcoholic has a defined condition : alcoholism is essentially an addiction - a physical and psychological dependence upon alcohol, with clearly defined symptoms.  A drinking problem can be one of many things: anti-social behavior after drinking, slurred speech, reduced reaction time, reduced inhibitions.

So, you were able to observe and properly diagnose someone as having a drinking problem based off of a post and your bias.

Interesting.. I wonder if I made a diagnosis that someone that is judging someone over a post on a drink package choice would be a good “teacher”..

see what what I did there, I made a judgement of you based off of a few posts. 

To the OP, I hope you were able to glass over all of the judgements on this post and make a decision that works for you..

45 minutes ago, dpostman said:

Humm.. Just politely pointing out that the OP is not the one suggesting or mentioning "Drinking Problems".  The OP simply ask the question if it is possible to get/purchase drinks onboard without having to buy a package.

To the OP, I feel bad for you, Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I'm sure this was not the reaction you were expecting😉

We probably scared them off.

dp

Yikes! Thanks--I will edit!

Edit: Crappola! It won't let me. Sorry, OP!!!

Edited by mayleeman
Editing issue

14 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

I am undecided about whether the drink package is worth it for me.

I have a glass of wine with dinner and one before bed (helps me fall asleep) every night.    I have a bottled water and two cappucinos in the morning, one diet coke at lunch, and I drink 3 or 4 bottled waters throughout the day.

I have had th beverage packages on other cruises as an added perk.   But I am not sure if I will do it on my upcoming cruise as it is $450 for nine days.  That's a lot of money.  I think I can do better on my own - coffee card and 3 night dining package with wine discount.  I can buy water in port and avoid soda.

You can also pre-buy water for the room if you don't want to lug it on - yes you pay more but I loved having it in the room and keeping it in the fridge to pull out as needed!  I have to drink water a lot to stay hydrated, more than most people, so I got bottles when I was out and about on the ship and had the bottles in the room too.  I had the beverage package too so with a little more work I could have just stock piled the bottles they hand you on ship but those are small and the ones I ordered for the room were nice to know at the end of the night I didn't have to hit a bar for water.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:04 AM, navybankerteacher said:

This thread was titled “Need to buy a drink package on Royal Caribbean”

There is no suggestion that such a “need” could only be economic, and not a cruise line requirement.

Actually, the OP specifically asked if he only wanted 2 drinks for the entire cruise did he need to buy a package.  Or would he be permitted to buy them individually.  This was not about breaking even, or economics, or getting drunk.  It was about whether a package was required to have a drink at all, it was about logistics.  The proper answer should have been as others had given, a simple no, it is not required. 

I'm sure you aren't so stupid as to not understand why you irritated people or that it wasn't intentional.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, a euphemism used by those careless in  use of language, or simply ignorant.

While alcoholism might be seen as an extreme problem resulting from both genetic disposition as well as over-consumption, it is so extreme that just calling it a drinking problem is comparable to calling a murderer  someone with difficulty in interpersonal relations.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.  You made a bad post, don't try to justify it.

• Like 1