extended balconies

raye70

I had an extended balcony on my most recent cruise. Cruise was port intensive. We hardly sat out there.  Unless you sail in a warm climate with lots of sea days,  it isn’t worth it. Also, it is not available when the window washer is working.

We were in ph on last cruise and that is when we noticed them and we do enjoy reading on balcony.  . I would have loved it  with all the sea days we had  in the Pacific on Marina

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Mechanical...drips onto the open part of the veranda.

1-riviera-6501.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&

As we can see in this photo, the mechanical window washer services Decks 12 & 14 whilst the extended veranda cabins are on deck 7, so I'm not sure what you mean....

7 hours ago, StanandJim said:

1-riviera-6501.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&

As we can see in this photo, the mechanical window washer services Decks 12 & 14 whilst the extended veranda cabins are on deck 7, so I'm not sure what you mean....

The veranda sticks out far enough so that whenever the mechanical window washer is above you the water drips onto the open part of the veranda.  We unknowingly got wet.  On a clear day, we got wet.  Those cabins are category B3.  With a big veranda, you might think that the cabins should be a higher category. That is until you get wet.  

We didn't have a problem with the window washer from above. There was a note in our cabin when the washing would occur. I don't remember how many times the washing occurred on our Miami-Papeete itinerary aboard Marina but it was usually done on shore days when we weren't in the cabin anyway. As far as washing our window, it was done while the cabin was being cleaned.

• Like 1

This was our B3 - 7008 -which we did not get to use on our 2 sea days last November, unfortunately, as we had rough and cold weather on those 2 days (sailing to and from the Canaries).  But I did sit out there late one afternoon.  I'm sure it would be wonderful in warmer weather.   This cabin is the last one, so it has the railing on 2 sides - front and one side so you can look down the side of the ship.

286.JPG

287.JPG

288.JPG

daveispar,

Had 7009 from Papeete to Lima, really couldn't use it after we left French Polynesia.  When the ship gets to cruising speed, the spray will leave most of the deck 7 balconies in the front pretty wet.  When you are crossing the Atlantic, your balcony will be useless.  You probably be o.k. once you hit South America.  

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

daveispar,

Had 7009 from Papeete to Lima, really couldn't use it after we left French Polynesia.  When the ship gets to cruising speed, the spray will leave most of the deck 7 balconies in the front pretty wet.  When you are crossing the Atlantic, your balcony will be useless.  You probably be o.k. once you hit South America.  

Noooooo!   I have 7008 booked for our next cruise.  I did research and nowhere did it mention that the balcony got wet.  We did have a forward cabin on deck 7 (not as far forward as 7009) once and there was a lot of spray but other posters who have stayed in these cabins 7008, 7009  said they didn't get sprayed.    I may have to change cabins if this is the case.  

The faster the ship travels, the more spray you get.  Wind doesn't help.  Transoceanic crossing is usually done at their top cruising speed.  My friends who were at the aft section of deck 7 never mentioned their balcony was wet when we complained about our wet balcony.  Question for you is, how often you didn't get sprayed when the ship was traveling at 17 knots.  Traveling around in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean, these ships may not even go over 15 knots.  This problem will probably only occur during your crossing of the Atlantic.  It will be o.k. once you reached Brazil.  Anyway, it will be cool and windy during your crossing so you will probably not spend much time on the balcony.   

10 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

The faster the ship travels, the more spray you get.  Wind doesn't help.  Transoceanic crossing is usually done at their top cruising speed.  My friends who were at the aft section of deck 7 never mentioned their balcony was wet when we complained about our wet balcony.  Question for you is, how often you didn't get sprayed when the ship was traveling at 17 knots.  Traveling around in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean, these ships may not even go over 15 knots.  This problem will probably only occur during your crossing of the Atlantic.  It will be o.k. once you reached Brazil.  Anyway, it will be cool and windy during your crossing so you will probably not spend much time on the balcony.   

We'll be going Miami to Rio.