Norwegian to pay $ 2 million in damages ......

tallnthensome

I agree that the passenger should have been taken to the hospital ASAP but.....

After the ocean liner finally docked two days later, on Nov. 17, 2016, Ow Buland was transported to Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach and in cardiogenic shock upon arrival. The man’s extensive treatment included the implantation of four stents, spending five days on a balloon pump and life support, as well as a return trip for a defibrillator installation in his chest, according to the outlet.

....I think that the patient had a pretty bad heart before the cruise started. 

• Like 1

I bet there is insurance

31 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Why would they have to raise prices? i bet there is insurance..but i agree with someone else here, NCL will probably file for an appeal and then offer a settlement 🙂

Interesting.  A young man had a heart attack on the cruise I was on last week (NCL Pearl) and did not survive.  I was NOT there to witness all that went down, so I can't 100% confirm that this is fact, but I was told that they *DID* try to administer CPR/AED and they couldn't revive him.  I'm not sure how much time passed before they started CPR or AED,  as every minute is crucial.  As someone who works in patient care and is part of an on-call emergency team that does CPR/AED on a regular basis, I wish I could have been on the scene to help.  Over the intercom they said "Code Alpha on the Sports Deck", which I had no idea what that meant until later in the cruise when I heard what had happened.  I thought that "Code Blue" was the universal term for cardiac arrest/not breathing, but maybe its just a universal term across US hospitals/clinics.  Had I heard "Code Blue", I would have run up there.  Not saying that my presence would have made a difference in saving his life.  Just wish I could have helped had I known.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I bet there is insurance

Why would they have to raise prices? i bet there is insurance..but i agree with someone else here, NCL will probably file for an appeal and then offer a settlement 🙂

I'm just kidding about raising prices for this although Del Rio will probably find a way for us to pay for it. Raise the Go-Carts on the Bliss by a $1 a ride! LOL! 

C'mon guys.  I know some will praise NCL no matter what.  The issue is not who had a bad heart.  The issue is the neglect the doctor did aboard the ship.  This is the second medical judgment against NCL recently. The first was their own worker who lost an arm because the Dr kept saying the infection was not an alarm.  The arm could have been saved if a proper diagnosis was given.  Yet after many trips to see the doctor over growing concern, the doctor said there was nothing to worry about and he could wait several days until the ship ported.  Yes this man probably did have a bad heart to begin with which was more of a reason he should have been booted/flown off the ship ASAP.  What's the point in having a ship doctor if they cannot perform a proper diagnosis to save a life, arm, or major body damage.   A doctor with basic knowledge could have known in both circumstances, the patient must leave the ship immediately.

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I bet there is insurance

This falls under P&I (property and indemnity) insurance, which is a mutual insurance between ship owners.  So, essentially, NCL, like all ship owners, are self-insured.

• Like 1

What is the OP's point for posting this?

Does OP have an opinion on the matter of their own? Or is this basically a troll to start another typical  legal and medical "debate" on a cruise forum full of people who, for the most part, are completely unqualified to comment upon either aspect of the topic due to lack of formal education nor specific knowledge of the facts related to the case?

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I agree that the passenger should have been taken to the hospital ASAP but.....

After the ocean liner finally docked two days later, on Nov. 17, 2016, Ow Buland was transported to Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach and in cardiogenic shock upon arrival. The man’s extensive treatment included the implantation of four stents, spending five days on a balloon pump and life support, as well as a return trip for a defibrillator installation in his chest, according to the outlet.

....I think that the patient had a pretty bad heart before the cruise started. 

Time is muscle. The longer his heart attacked continued the more damage it did to his heart. The blockage in one vessel will cause damage to the surrounding ones. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Does OP have an opinion on the matter of their own? Or is this basically a troll to start another typical  legal and medical "debate" on a cruise forum full of people who, for the most part, are completely unqualified to comment upon either aspect of the topic due to lack of formal education nor specific knowledge of the facts related to the case?

It's just some news on Norwegian Cruise Line that came up ....... I'm a 2000 post troll just out to annoy you. You can leave now ..... 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I have a formal education in the matter, do I need your permission to post?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I bet there is insurance

5 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I bet there is insurance

I would assume NCL's team of attorneys offered the passenger an option to settle for far less to avoid a trial ? Will it be more difficult for NCL to appeal due to the fact Royal was ordered to pay out even more in that case mentioned in same article ?

2 million to NCL is like a dollar to the rest of us, they wont even feel it... What they'll feel even less is the amount they actually end up settling for after their appeal. FDR will nickel and dime the snot out of us in the meantime, but it will have nothing to do with this case.

• Like 1

I'm just wondering if the patient has any recourse after diagnosis - 2nd opinion via telemedicine?  Take me to Jamica? And is that treatment he needed likely available near the current location of the ship?  I can imagine the suit if he died enroute to a hospital via a helicopter evacuation if that was an option.

I wonder what kind of testimony they had that in any way proved that the damage was from not receiving treatment vs what caused the heart attack in the first place. 

Plus, if the doctor failed to administer proper care it is malpractice.  But, if they didn't have the ability to then the cruise line is negligent.  It just seems like it is going to set a precedence where they won't even bother to administer any treatment in severe cases like this and just automatically air lift the passenger off the ship to the nearest hospital at their own dime.  And, they will stop allowing people on cruises who look like they are in poor physical condition unless they sign a medical waiver.

I was on a Celebrity once and we could still see the lights of Cozmel  , we were that close...a boat that was normally used for diving groups pulled up under our balcony and a person was carried in a stretcher from our ship...we later learned that she died on the way back to Cozmel...I always wondered why a helicopter wasn't called especially since we were so close to shore at the time.

3 minutes ago, myjillian said:

I was on a Celebrity once and we could still see the lights of Cozmel  , we were that close...a boat that was normally used for diving groups pulled up under our balcony and a person was carried in a stretcher from our ship...we later learned that she died on the way back to Cozmel...I always wondered why a helicopter wasn't called especially since we were so close to shore at the time.

Most likely that there wasn't a helicopter in the area that had a crew trained to hover over a moving ship, or to land on a moving ship.  The closest Mexican navy SAR base is 130km from Cozumel, but I'm not sure they have a SAR helicopter based there, it is mainly a boat base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I wonder what kind of testimony they had that in any way proved that the damage was from not receiving treatment vs what caused the heart attack in the first place. 

Plus, if the doctor failed to administer proper care it is malpractice.  But, if they didn't have the ability to then the cruise line is negligent.  It just seems like it is going to set a precedence where they won't even bother to administer any treatment in severe cases like this and just automatically air lift the passenger off the ship to the nearest hospital at their own dime.  And, they will stop allowing people on cruises who look like they are in poor physical condition unless they sign a medical waiver.

Is about medical records not so much testimony.  There are procedures to administer immediately to a heart attack victim.  When the patient got to land, the doctors were shocked to learn the patient was casually treated and not in need of emergency action.  This allegedly caused permanent damage to the patient's heart.  Medical evacuations happen all the time on cruises.  This patient should have been evacuated immediately.

This happens on land too.  Imagine going to a doctor for symptoms and you are misdiagnosed and told to go home and relax.   Your issue gets worse and you are rushed to the emergency room and you almost die.  The first doctor is subject to litigation based on a misdiagnosis that could have caused death.

My job as a first responder requires physicals every year.  Every year there is somebody who does not fast or follow directions and drinks a tiny bit of coffee  before the physical.  Their blood pressure is so high that the doctor calls 911 and want to take them to the hospital.  The person asks why because they are fine.  But the doctor knows rates at certain levels are emergency and need to be treated immediately.  Same thing if you visit a doctor and he calls the hospital to admit you immediately even if you may feel fine.  The doctor is doing what they are trained to do.  Emergency health issues require emergency care.  The cruise lines are not really equipped for such things.  Either the doctor was really bad or the equipment they used was really bad.  Either way they are liable for alleged damage to this person.  Now we don't know how bad the damage was/is to justify such a large amount.  However the medical records must have convinced enough people to justify this verdict.  Bottom line is you don't take chances with a heart attack.  10 out of 10 doctors who would diagnose a heart attack would put them in the emergency room ASAP.  Why or how the cruise line doctor could not diagnose this is the problem.  Even borderline cases, the doctor should yield to play it safe and get the patient to the emergency room ASAP.

Edited by david_sobe

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Is about medical records not so much testimony.  There are procedures to administer immediately to a heart attack victim.  When the patient got to land, the doctors were shocked to learn the patient was casually treated and not in need of emergency action.  This allegedly caused permanent damage to the patient's heart.  Medical evacuations happen all the time on cruises.  This patient should have been evacuated immediately.

This happens on land too.  Imagine going to a doctor for symptoms and you are misdiagnosed and told to go home and relax.   Your issue gets worse and you are rushed to the emergency room and you almost die.  The first doctor is subject to litigation based on a misdiagnosis that could have caused death.

My job as a first responder requires physicals every year.  Every year there is somebody who does not fast or follow directions and drinks a tiny bit of coffee  before the physical.  Their blood pressure is so high that the doctor calls 911 and want to take them to the hospital.  The person asks why because they are fine.  But the doctor knows rates at certain levels are emergency and need to be treated immediately.  Same thing if you visit a doctor and he calls the hospital to admit you immediately even if you may feel fine.  The doctor is doing what they are trained to do.  Emergency health issues require emergency care.  The cruise lines are not really equipped for such things.  Either the doctor was really bad or the equipment they used was really bad.  Either way they are liable for alleged damage to this person.  Now we don't know how bad the damage was/is to justify such a large amount.  However the medical records must have convinced enough people to justify this verdict.

Thanks.  I'm just curious as to what NCLs plan to correct this for the future is.