Lodging walking distance to beach, restaurants, bars - FLL

jdemps

We're headed to Ft Lauderdale Feb 2020 for a cruise to Cuba and would like to stay for a few days prior to cruise in FLL.  Anyone know what the best area to look into for lodging that is walking distance to beach, local restaurants & bars, etc?  Not interested in being by chain restaurants if there are areas more like that.  Cost isn't a factor, we just like areas where we are close to all the fun.  I have in my mind it would be about $250 per night for hotel room or about $800 per night for a home rental but whatever it is, it is.

We're open to hotels or rentals and there will be 6 adults.

Thanks for the advice!

Take a look at www.sunny.org, the official Fort Lauderdale tourist website to familiarize yourself.  There are 3 tourist areas: 

• 1 - along the beach and intracoastal
  • 2 - downtown (Las Olas Blvd) 
  • 3 - along 17th Street near the port. 

All the areas have a variety of restaurants.  All are served by the Sun Trolley (www.suntrolley.com) for cheap ($1/ride or $3/day pass) transportation.  Beach/intracoastal and downtown hotels plus those at the 17th Street Bridge are served by the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) for both transportation and touring. 

Is your budget $250 per couple or for all 6 adults?  February is high season - and especially the President's Day week beginning Feb 14 - in Fort Lauderdale so I would reserve (with a reservation that can be cancelled with no penalty) as soon as possible and then keep looking hoping for a price decrease.

If you decide to go with an apartment, be aware that many, if not most, condos restrict short term rentals.  Make sure that you aren't at risk of showing up and being denied entry or being told to vacate mid-stay.

The W Hotel

The Conrad

Ritz Carlton

Westin Beach Resort

Right off the top of my head, those would be the best walkable to Casablanca, Coconuts, Beach Place, Bos, etc. 

Keep in mind they are across the street from the beach but the views are not obstructed.

We stayed at the Riverside on Las Olas a couple weeks back.  Nice place and great area.  Tons of restaurants close by.  It is a ways from the beach, but the trolley mentioned above goes right by and there is a water taxi stop steps away.  We took the trolley to the beach and walked back.

Check out Hollywood Beach. It's the most walkable beach area. Plenty of restaurants, bars, live music, and right on the beach. The broadwalk is awesome.  Plus there is a water taxi pickup so you could jump on that and get to other areas or just enjoy the ride. 

There is a lot of boutique hotels on the broadwalk and also the Margaritaville Resort which is awesome. 

Edited by BNBR

Thanks everyone!  The Bomb Cyclone Blizzard knocked out my internet until just now so just seeing responses.

The Hollywood Beach area sounds perfect.  I will start there looking for a beach house to rent or hotel rooms.  We would never rent a condo as one person responded warned, we like to have an entire place to ourselves not share walls or we would just get a hotel.  

Have a great day!

20 minutes ago, jdemps said:

Thanks everyone!  The Bomb Cyclone Blizzard knocked out my internet until just now so just seeing responses.

The Hollywood Beach area sounds perfect.  I will start there looking for a beach house to rent or hotel rooms.  We would never rent a condo as one person responded warned, we like to have an entire place to ourselves not share walls or we would just get a hotel.  

Have a great day!

Sweet.  You'll have a great time.  It's got a broadwalk, so no cars or traffic, just bicycles and people walking around enjoying the sun and beach.  You don't have to cross a street to get to the beach and the beach itself is nicer than Fort Lauderdale.  Can rent bicycles if you want.

Margaritaville has the 5' O Clock Somewhere bar right on the water, fire pits, sand, and it's also where the water taxi stop is.  I would look for something in that general area or within a reasonable walk to it as that area is central and where most stuff is "going on" especially in the evenings.  The bandshell stage is right in front of it with regular live music Weds - Sun from 7 - 9PM.

Consider what you want to do on the beach and what you are bringing, Margaritaville has the best pool area, bars and they also provide you with a beach umbrella and chairs if that's important to you.  Just something to keep in mind when comparing.  But as said, there are plenty of smaller boutique type places for great prices all over that area.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jdemps said:

Have a great day!

That is why I posted the Riptide, right on the boardwalk in Hollywood, Fl.

We are huge fans of the A1A strip.  We love Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort, the Westin is nice also.  There are tons of restaurants nearby, and shopping.  Las Olas isn’t far, and then of course the beach is right there.  We do not stay anywhere but on the strip, it’s so much fun.....beautiful at night.  Our fav is Hilton FLL Beach Resort because every room has a balcony. 

Here is our view from our balcony....

https://www.hiltonbeachcam.com/

Enjoy your stay....do your homework no matter where you stay, 

😊

Edited by Esmerelda