Sunrise Progress

matt082600

31 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The ship will be fine, don’t let the negative nellies bother you.  She was fine before this work begun and will be fine after.

Fully agree Jimbo. We sailed on her twice as the Triumph and had great cruises on her. Looking forward to our Sunrise B2B in September. :classic_cool:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Fully agree Jimbo. We sailed on her twice as the Triumph and had great cruises on her. Looking forward to our Sunrise B2B in September. :classic_cool:

Me too.  $500 million isn't chump change, I'm sure the ship will look beautiful.  

Since when is identifying someone as a cheerleader a  derogatory term. I was a cheerleader in school, a sought after position and label I thought. Your allegiance to Carnival seems strong. Sorry but you lost me when you said Carnival has better entertainment than Royal, especially the Oasis ships. And you do not have to make one reservation, you're welcome to wait in the standby line. That being said, it is something you get used to. All the mega ships, NCL and RCCL do it, for crowd control. I also found it annoying the first time but things change. 

I hope you are correct that Sunrise is very nice and we have a great time in Cuba. I am sure it will be fine. But I would like it to be more than fine. As the TV commercials say, sometimes fine is not alright.

16 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

You are pretty fond of that word. You used it in this thread, at least once. (In addition to  this comment) :classic_wink:

If you must do a word check, please be sure you get the number right.... I actually do not know...  I think I referenced it as someone who makes negative comments for the sake  (and solely for the sake) to show negative light.  I have never understood the rationale for that, most here are just to speak their peace on cruising on Carnival, good and bad, I know you are.  How many times saying a word makes it a fondness?     

Edited by jimbo5544

Triumph , let me say that again , Triumph just doesn't sound like Sunrise to me . Although she is soon to be  Sunrise. Perhaps She takes the new name to hide from her pass ?  Most of us know she will definitely be improved but never actually new .

Her reputation is buried deep into the bowels of the ships soul. 

But I'm sure hoping Sunrise will build a new reputation indeed. Will I cruise on her , sure. As most of us will . But we will never forget her past. Will you ?

20071114_space_zps589ce545.JPG

Edited by BoDidly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tinkr2 said:

Since when is identifying someone as a cheerleader a  derogatory term. I was a cheerleader in school, a sought after position and label I thought. Your allegiance to Carnival seems strong. Sorry but you lost me when you said Carnival has better entertainment than Royal, especially the Oasis ships. And you do not have to make one reservation, you're welcome to wait in the standby line. That being said, it is something you get used to. All the mega ships, NCL and RCCL do it, for crowd control. I also found it annoying the first time but things change. 

I hope you are correct that Sunrise is very nice and we have a great time in Cuba. I am sure it will be fine. But I would like it to be more than fine. As the TV commercials say, sometimes fine is not alright.

Of course you can wait in the stand by line, take the cheap seats (not sitting together).  I was not giving you advice on doing it, just relatedly experiences and thoughts.  If you referenced me as a cheerleader as a complement,I stand corrected, I am not sure how I misinterpreted that....  I think I said I preferred the different types of entertainment that Carnival offers across ships as opposed to either waiting in the standby line or preplanning what I want to do 4 months from Tuesday when I am sailing on the mega liner (hypothetically of course).  

I don't think my sailing on cruising on Carnival as allegiance, I sail one lines and post here on other lines.  Carnival just consistently offers a really good product at a good price, and no other cruise line comes close when it comes to having FUN on a cruise.  Their product's best asset is their people, not their ships or the new ride, go cart track or off broadway show, I hope you see that when you cruise.  I would be happy to discuss the merits of both sides of the discussion, please start a thread and we can do just that.  Lastly, my cruising experience has taught me that if you (or I) go into a cruise expecting mediocrity, or it being fine, the result will match that.  Come back after your cruise and let us know your thoughts....I will be doing a review of her from my cruise, if you want to check something out in advance, just ask. 

19 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Triumph , let me say that again , Triumph just doesn't sound like Sunrise to me . Although she is soon to be  Sunrise. Perhaps She takes the new name to hide from her pass ?  Most of us know she will definitely be improved but never actually new .

Her reputation is buried deep into the bowels of the ships soul. 

But I'm sure hoping Sunrise will build a new reputation indeed. Will I cruise on her , sure. As most of us will . But we will never forget her past. Will you ?

20071114_space_zps589ce545.JPG

LOL, you must have searched long and hard for this pic.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, you must have searched long and hard for this pic.

Actually it was one I made up years back, recently found it going through old photos for another thread that I thoroughly enjoy. BTW your humor is improving 👌 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Actually it was one I made up years back, recently found it going through old photos for another thread that I thoroughly enjoy. BTW your humor is improving 👌 

It is my greatest wish (to improve it, that is...my humor).  Which ship was it you were referencing again?

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

. . .back to the discussion about the actual SHIP on this thread. . .  :classic_tongue:

We sailed on Sunshine after the Destiny makeover and liked it a lot.   Thought Carnival did a nice job overhauling an old ship.  New restaurants and all.  

We're going on Sunrise to Bermuda in May so I'll post a brief review on our thoughts once back.  I'm looking forward to it and am happy to have an aft wrap cabin/balcony.    

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:15 PM, Qchell said:

They are going to be practically gutting the ship and revovating it completely.  It's the same thing they did with the Sunshine.  I don't remember what her name was before the transformation, but all the public areas, etc. were completely revamped, moved around, new venues added, old ones removed.  If you do a search for Sunshine renovation you will get an idea of what they are about to do with the Sunrise.  

The Sunshine was the Destiny before conversion.

I sailed on the Sunshine when she came to New Orleans after her conversion. I found the public areas were much smaller due to the addition of more cabins. But the Serenity Deck was sublime!

I'm looking forward to cruising on her in about 153 more days.   we booked when it was still the Triumph, before the announcement, so I wasn't worried then. I'm even more excited now that we'll get to experience some new features.  I can't wait.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, shof515 said:

marketing  to increase bookings

By renaming the ship, Carnival is advertising the ship as "BRAND NEW" and other similar wording.

Exactly. I was told by my PVP that it was a brand new ship. I was a little bummed when I found out it was just the Triumph being updated. I liked the Triumph just fine but she was definitely showing her age. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

Exactly. I was told by my PVP that it was a brand new ship. I was a little bummed when I found out it was just the Triumph being updated. I liked the Triumph just fine but she was definitely showing her age. 

I won't get into a whose is bigger discussion, but there is a difference between a normal update and a $200 million upgrade with changes the vast majority of the innards and skin of the skip, truly apples and oranges.  I have experienced the first of these changes with the Destiny and Sunshine.  The Sunshine far exceeded my expectation and she is consistently one of the highest  rated for Carnival Week to week.  Look at what the Sunrise will have rather then what the Triumph did have.  

On 3/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, sw33twif3 said:

The Sunshine was the Destiny before conversion.

I sailed on the Sunshine when she came to New Orleans after her conversion. I found the public areas were much smaller due to the addition of more cabins. But the Serenity Deck was sublime!

Interesting, which areas were these (other than the main show room) that you found to be smaller?

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I won't get into a whose is bigger discussion, but there is a difference between a normal update and a $200 million upgrade with changes the vast majority of the innards and skin of the skip, truly apples and oranges.  I have experienced the first of these changes with the Destiny and Sunshine.  The Sunshine far exceeded my expectation and she is consistently one of the highest  rated for Carnival Week to week.  Look at what the Sunrise will have rather then what the Triumph did have.  

I'm sure there is but there is also a huge difference between an upgrade and "brand new". Either way I'll be happy to be on a cruise period. It's been/going to be too long before I find myself on a cruise again.  I just don't like being told I'm getting brand new when I'm getting refurbished. In this case it wouldn't have made a difference. I chose the ship because she was going to Cuba and she fit the dates I wanted. But if I was paying extra to experience a brand new ship I would be fumming. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get to see the finished product. We shall see. I just don't think the PVP's should be telling customers she's a brand new ship. She's not. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cloudninecat said:

I'm sure there is but there is also a huge difference between an upgrade and "brand new". Either way I'll be happy to be on a cruise period. It's been/going to be too long before I find myself on a cruise again.  I just don't like being told I'm getting brand new when I'm getting refurbished. In this case it wouldn't have made a difference. I chose the ship because she was going to Cuba and she fit the dates I wanted. But if I was paying extra to experience a brand new ship I would be fumming. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get to see the finished product. We shall see. I just don't think the PVP's should be telling customers she's a brand new ship. She's not. 

Will not belabor the point, but renaming ships is common practice (as well as reusing the names like Mardi Gras with new builds.  Let us know your thoughts about your cruise and the ship when you return.

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interesting, which areas were these (other than the main show room) that you found to be smaller?

The entertainment areas, such as the lounges for karaoke. Promenade area much smaller with a hallway that can get crowded in the evenings.

And the Triumph curse continues . A fire broke out March 21/ 2019  aboard the cruise ship Carnival Triumph during the dry dock in Cadiz, Spain.  Workers evacuated !No injuries were reported !cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-sunrise-fir

1 hour ago, sw33twif3 said:

The entertainment areas, such as the lounges for karaoke. Promenade area much smaller with a hallway that can get crowded in the evenings.

Interesting view, which of course we are all entitled to our own.  Isn’t Karoke  and where the band plays in evenings on Ocean Way which is new and bigger, isn’t the Serenity area 3 levels bigger, isn’t the Havana area where there used to be a long ago swim up bar area new, isn’t adding the Steakhouse on 4 and the Piano bar on same floor new and bigger, isn’t having Jiji’s and Cucina which are new better, isn’t having a water park for the kids new?  I guess it is all a matter of perspective.  I respect yours...