Sunrise Progress

matt082600

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

first cruise is April 29 out of norfolk, va and will mostly likely be christened there

There are two possibilities for naming ceremony, the day before that in Norfolk,  but much more likely time and place will be New York as the placement cruise to New York ends May 22, and the ceremony would be that day and the first cruise out of New York is May23.  

Edited by jimbo5544

I sailed out of New York when she was the Triumph.    I really like the mega ships and most recently sailed on the Symphony of the Seas.  I thought the Triumph would be too small for me but she was just right.  I am sailing to Cuba in December when she will be the Sunrise.   With the "extreme makeover" that she is getting, it will feel like a new ship.  I hope the Flying Scotsman will still be the cruise director by then.  He was supposed to be on the Dream when we sailed a couple years ago, but he was on vacation.  Looking forward in any event.

• Like 1

On March 21, 2019 at 8:19 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Yes next year and come out as the Carnival Radiance

I am booked on Carnival Radiane next year in one of those new Extended Balcony Grand Suites. So since Sunrise will also have those, I am curious how they will come out. That would give us an idea if we should keep the cabin or switch to a regular Grand Suite. 

12 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

I am booked on Carnival Radiane next year in one of those new Extended Balcony Grand Suites. So since Sunrise will also have those, I am curious how they will come out. That would give us an idea if we should keep the cabin or switch to a regular Grand Suite. 

On another site John Heald said they will be showing different cabins week of April 6.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are two possibilities for naming ceremony, the day before that in Norfolk,  but much more likely time and place will be New York as the placement cruise to New York ends May 22, and the ceremony would be that day and the first cruise out of New York is May23.  

I read somewhere that the naming ceremony WILL occur in Norfolk.  I'll have to look for where I saw it. I  kept that info in my head and was looking for more info since I'm local.

5 hours ago, Shirleybird said:

I read somewhere that the naming ceremony WILL occur in Norfolk.  I'll have to look for where I saw it. I  kept that info in my head and was looking for more info since I'm local.

Lol, I have been wrong before so you could be right.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:04 PM, Shirleybird said:

I do not think Carnival has made its final decision yet.

23 minutes ago, Maraprince said:

If they are looking for a lot of fan fare, I would think NY would be their choice because of the media coverage that would ensue.

MARAPRINCE

And for that reason they start most of the new ships off in NY after they leave Europe.

5 hours ago, Maraprince said:

If they are looking for a lot of fan fare, I would think NY would be their choice because of the media coverage that would ensue.

MARAPRINCE

yes...They just release this:

KELLY ARISON TO CONTINUE FAMILY TRADITION AND SERVE AS GODMOTHER OF CARNIVAL SUNRISE AT MAY 23 EVENT

Follows in the Footsteps of Her Mother, Madeleine Arison, Godmother of Carnival Triumph

MIAMI (March 28, 2019) – As Carnival Sunrise makes her debut following her $200 million transformation, Carnival Cruise Line announced today that Kelly Arison, daughter of Carnival Corporation Chairman Micky Arison and his wife Madeleine, will serve as godmother for the ship at an invitation-only ceremony in New York on May 23.
In what is sure to be a touching moment, Kelly will step into the godmother role previously held by her mother when the ship first entered service as Carnival Triumph, in 1999. In an added stroke of family ties, Kelly’s grandmother Lin Arison served as godmother to Carnival Sunrise’s sister ship, Carnival Sunshine, in 2013.
Carnival Sunrise’s naming ceremony will take place aboard the ship at the Manhattan Cruise Passenger Terminal and will serve as a platform to heighten awareness of the work of the Ehlers-Danlos Society, an organization dedicated to serving those with joint hypermobility spectrum disorders, of which Kelly is a strong advocate. Carnival will be making a donation to the Ehlers-Danlos Society during the ceremony.
“It is truly an honor to carry on my family’s cherished tradition and join the esteemed women who have so admirably carried out their role as a Carnival godmother over the years,” said Kelly. “This ceremony will not only serve as an exciting and memorable way to officially introduce the spectacular Carnival Sunrise to the Carnival fleet but also raise awareness of an organization very near and dear to my heart, the Ehlers-Danlos Society.”
“Carnival Cruise Line is proud and delighted that Kelly will serve in this role as she officially names Carnival Sunrise,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “And given the family ties to this ship in particular, we are planning to include some special guests that mean a lot to the Arison family and have played an important part in the history of Carnival Cruise Line.”
Carnival Sunrise’s inaugural season includes four- to 14-day voyages from Norfolk, Va., and New York to Bermuda, Canada and the Caribbean through September. The ship will then reposition to Fort Lauderdale for a winter season of Caribbean and Bahamian voyages beginning in October 2019 before heading back to New York in spring 2020.
Guests sailing aboard Carnival Sunrise will enjoy a wide range of entertainment options, along with open-air attractions like a new WaterWorks aqua park and SportSquare featuring a suspended ropes course. New dining offerings include Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse developed in tandem with Food Network star Guy Fieri, the Cucina del Capitano family-style Italian restaurant and the Caribbean-themed Red Frog Pub.
All of the ship’s staterooms have been updated with island-inspired interiors featuring bright colors and soothing pastels inspired by the line’s Caribbean itineraries, along with new choices such as luxurious Captain’s Suites adjacent to the navigational bridge offering floor-to-ceiling windows and extended balcony grand suites.

Please join me in wishing a huge Congratulations to Kelly because I know she is reading this and would appreciate your kind support.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

True dat, ......I met her on the Magic christening in Galveston.  I asked if if she worked for Carnival, she said no, she liked basketball so her daddy bought her a team.............

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

And for that reason they start most of the new ships off in NY after they leave Europe.

Not all but you are correct, most are done there.  Been fortunate to have been at all since the Splendor except the Breeze and hope to be at this one also.  

10 hours ago, fuzzy1010 said:

does anyone know if they are going to upgrade the wifi to be more like the Vista or Horizon?

There are several info releases by Carnival management to the TA community over the next two weeks about the ship and features.  I participate in these and will post any info here.

17 hours ago, shof515 said:

Wow!  Glad to know I was correct in my assumption.  May 23 is just one day before my birthday! 😍

We will be sailing on her in early September from NYC and really looking forward to seeing all the changes/upgrades from the Triumph.

MARAPRINCE  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Hmmm.   How will this affect those of us on its first sailing May 23rd I wonder.   

It is, she gets in the day before.  Usually is done that day after everyone debarks, info should be out soon.

12 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Hmmm.   How will this affect those of us on its first sailing May 23rd I wonder.   

Sounds to me you will be in for quite a party, and we expect you to document it all and provide the evidence right here on these boards, thank you very much!

11 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Sounds to me you will be in for quite a party, and we expect you to document it all and provide the evidence right here on these boards, thank you very much!

Of course!   I'll do a write-up upon return--not too long--not too short!    🙂

So it appears this will all happen in the cruise terminal:   Carnival Sunrise’s naming ceremony which will take place at the Manhattan Cruise Passenger Terminal in New York on May 23.

So maybe that's why the first check-in time that could be selected was 12:30?  We're platinum and would normally show up at 11:30ish, but maybe will delay it if the terminal will be partially blocked.   Guess we'll find out!   

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

Of course!   I'll do a write-up upon return--not too long--not too short!    🙂

So it appears this will all happen in the cruise terminal:   Carnival Sunrise’s naming ceremony which will take place at the Manhattan Cruise Passenger Terminal in New York on May 23.

So maybe that's why the first check-in time that could be selected was 12:30?  We're platinum and would normally show up at 11:30ish, but maybe will delay it if the terminal will be partially blocked.   Guess we'll find out!   

We are sailing May 23rd also and got the 11:30 check in time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Luke Saint Joe said:

Jimbo5544, wish we were sailing on the same Sunrise cruise just to meet you & your family. We will, however, be sailing together on the TA from Barcelona to NYC...our first TA!!!

Thanks....only one of my kids and family on this Sunrise cruise.  We will be at the naming ceremony (waiting on details, it may be different then past ones we have been lucky to be invited to).  Hope you have a wonderful TA, we are doing the TA for the Radiance next year, it will be our first.  Also doing the first cruise in Northern Europe on the Mardi Gras for August 2020 and a cruise on the Magic next March.