HAL perks?

sable1

It has been several years since cruising on HAL,  been on Princess and Oceania which have great perks for frequent cruisers.  So I am wondering if there are any special things offered and hints that I should know about.  Thanks in advance.  Sailing Rotterdam in August.

Joanne

HAL offers such good smaller ships and great itineraries, that we sail them regardless of the perks. So  one will probably find HAL is not competitive with the larger ship cruise lines, who may need to offer more inducements. 

One of the more favorite perks after 4 star status: "free laundry", but well priced laundry packages are available for all passengers.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

@sable1, all Mariners receive a tile and the Mariner’s luncheon FWIW.

As your status moves up, there are some decent benefits - discount on wine packages, mini bar purchases, free laundry, discount on specialty dining, priority embarkation & disembarkation, etc.  It’s all listed on the HAL site (I’ve probably forgotten some) and you can decide if it’s worth while or not 😉 

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL offers such good smaller ships and great itineraries, that we sail them regardless of the perks. So  one will probably find HAL is not competitive with the larger ship cruise lines, who may need to offer more inducements. 

One of the more favorite perks after 4 star status: "free laundry", but well priced laundry packages are available for all passengers.

I am in agreement on the merit of the smaller ships....But take a good deep breath...and read the  annual report... " sale of ships" CCL  is basically  getting rid of ships under 2200   !!!    In a year or so   I suspect all the 1200  ships will be history as they shoot for an economy of scale.       Keep your options open.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I am in agreement on the merit of the smaller ships....But take a good deep breath...and read the  annual report... " sale of ships" CCL  is basically  getting rid of ships under 2200   !!!    In a year or so   I suspect all the 1200  ships will be history as they shoot for an economy of scale.       Keep your options open.

Already looking at Fred Olsen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly! You're saying that "in a year or so" HAL will have gotten rid of Maasdam (1,258), Veendam (1,350), Rotterdam (1,404), Volendam (1,432), Zaandam (1,432), Amsterdam(1,380), Zuiderdam (1,916), Oosterdam (1,916), Westerdam (1,916), Noordam (1,924), Eurodam (2,104) and Nieuw Amsterdam (2,106) leaving a fleet of two; Koningsdam (2,650)  and Nieuw Statendam (2,650)   Better get those tickets folks! :classic_cool:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly! You're saying that "in a year or so" HAL will have gotten rid of Maasdam (1,258), Veendam (1,350), Rotterdam (1,404), Volendam (1,432), Zaandam (1,432), Amsterdam(1,380), Zuiderdam (1,916), Oosterdam (1,916), Westerdam (1,916), Noordam (1,924), Eurodam (2,104) and Nieuw Amsterdam (2,106) leaving a fleet of two; Koningsdam (2,650)  and Nieuw Statendam (2,650)   Better get those tickets folks! :classic_cool:

If I read the  annual report   CCL, the parent company is getting rid  of ships under 2200    It  appears looking to for an economy of scale  .  Fewer ships , less labor, but more passengers and  a shift to   on board  revenue expansion options.    

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

If I read the  annual report   CCL, the parent company is getting rid  of ships under 2200    It  appears looking to for an economy of scale  .  Fewer ships , less labor, but more passengers and  a shift to   on board  revenue expansion options.    

Thanks for your response Mr. Park Ranger, we shall see

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for your response Mr. Park Ranger, we shall see

Just for grins....we both worked in the same relative field  Before I was a Ranger  I was a  DC/ in the fire world, retired and ran a international corp as CEO.....  retired again and so on ..........(Never Could Hold a Job)  still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up !!!!   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Just for grins....we both worked in the same relative field  Before I was a Ranger  I was a  DC/ in the fire world, retired and ran a international corp as CEO.....  retired again and so on ..........(Never Could Hold a Job)  still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up !!!!   

I do like the Grumman S2-T Turbo Tracker wild fires air tanker in your avatar

• Haha 1

They have to unload those older, aging ships first.

So far, their track record of selling ships that they have put on the block has not been stellar.

Probably a good thing for those who want to cruise

on those older, smaller ships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Since Seabourne is also part of CCL, this is in sharp contradiction with the news of the new Seaborne vessels built for 264, so not 2640!

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/3844/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alphen said:

Since Seabourne is also part of CCL, this is in sharp contradiction with the news of the new Seaborne vessels built for 264, so not 2640!

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/3844/

Actualy,  no.      The CCL business model is well established    First introduce the customer to cruising at the Carnival  econ level.  Then over the years sophisticate the taste of the passenger.   up through Princess, Cunard, Hal. to Seaborne       Being able to  step by step, get away from the crowds as one ascends in the system  and is willing to pay more for a more and more inclusive/ exclusive/ personal experience.     So no, it is an affirmation of that business plan of developing a passengers taste for better and better things.      Celeb is doing it with their Azamar brand.     Oceania and Regent is another  smaller ships 650-1200 .    In both cases, these brands are created for  refugees, as it were, from the" Mass Market" of monster ships who want something better.   As ships grow larger and larger.... people will  seek out smaller and smaller for a better and better experience........MOST important   They see what they  did not get at the $65 a day level compared to the  value of a $ 200+ a day as very much worth the money.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Joanne, hi!  We were on the Rotterdam last year, with Garrit & Maureen and our son and one of theirs.  We cruised from Rotterdam to Boston and saw Iceland & Greenland.  It was awesome.

Sorry I can't really answer your question, as it was only our 3rd HAL cruise and we're peons on every cruise line except Oceania.

Speaking of which, would you and J be interested if the gang got back together to cruise when Allura launches?

miss you both!

debra

Hi Debra,

So good to hear from you.  Definitely interested in cruising with you all again.  Depends what month.  In  Feb. we are sailing from Cape Town to Singapore on Nautica.  Trivia won't be the same without our Team. 

Do you still have my email?  oceania 2008 @ yahoo .com

On 3/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, Hawaiidan said:

What about Princess ships:Costa  ,  P& O ??   Are all   ships that    are under  2,200 also leaving CCC ????  

Who  does anyone think is  going to buy all (some of them aging)  those ships?   along  with Seabourn ships   :eek:

image.png.dbcf8e71be558f12d569d3424a664d6b.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

44 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Possibly the report refers to just Carnival ships?

I know little  about Carnival ships  but aren't man y (most ?)quite BIG in comparison to    HAL's older   ships?   Perhaps  Carnival  Corp thinks them large enough to keep ?  🙂

image.png.681210490afd50706d024512471a4f92.png

Edited by sail7seas

8 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I know little  about Carnival ships  but aren't man y (most ?)quite BIG in comparison to    HAL's older   ships?   Perhaps  Carnival  Corp thinks them large enough to keep ?  🙂

image.png.681210490afd50706d024512471a4f92.png

Depends on if you do the count on 2 pax per cabin or 4.  If the former, Carnival has several ships under 2200 pax

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Depends on if you do the count on 2 pax per cabin or 4.  If the former, Carnival has several ships under 2200 pax

OR    one in a  cabin as some of us  sail  solo.  yikes

Ithink the size  of the ship   determination in this matter comes  back to gross  tonnage

Yes, number  of    guests  factors    into revenue and   profit /loss

image.png.e004897319c027d965ff30344d87f4a1.png

Edited by sail7seas