Tipping Question

does anyone know what the tipping standard is for the cabin steward...waiter and bus person / asst, waiter...per day for each...and do we need to go to guest relations and tell them not to ad it to our sea pass acct...that we will be paying them cash at the end of the cruise...thank you in adavnce

But in all serious..  Tip as much or as little as you think you should with the quality of service (from your room steward, servers, etc.) you received..  Nobody can tell you how much to tip as we don't know your bankroll or tipping habits.  But just remember, if you turn off your auto grats, you're tipping from square one..  Keep them on, you're already tipping $14.50 per person, per day....

Edited by ScottVV
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, EaganCruiser said:

does anyone know what the tipping standard is for the cabin steward...waiter and bus person / asst, waiter...per day for each...and do we need to go to guest relations and tell them not to ad it to our sea pass acct...that we will be paying them cash at the end of the cruise...thank you in adavnce

Time for the popcorn.

The standard gratuity is $14.50 per person per day.  So if you are tipping less than that (unless you had bad service), you are shorting the workers on the their tips.  So $261 for 2 people on a 9 night cruise.

And are you going to tip  the people working the buffet?  And how will you tip those who you do not directly interact with, but are part of the tip pool?

The best advice, in most peoples' opinions, is to leave the grats in place, and they tip extra for service above and beyond.

But do what makes you happy and what you can live with as a human being.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

"I don't believe in tipping.   I believe in OVER tipping."

- Vincent Antonelli

Image result for vincent antonelli my blue heaven tipping

Best.  Movie.  EVER!!!  "OK how about this? You sell me my double scotch, and you sell my friend his double scotch, but instead of putting his double scotch on his tray, you put it on mine and I'll pay you for both. By the way have I told you that you look lovely in red and blue... Pam?"  Lol

Edited by ScottVV
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, EaganCruiser said:

Why would you try to deny all the behind the scenes people that serve you. Paying in cash is a great disservice to all those  you don,'t see.  Your waiters and cabin steward are required to turn in your tips to the pool if you remove auto tips. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, EaganCruiser said:

Don’t listen to the bullies that say you’re a bad person for tipping cash only. It’s a perfectly

acceptable option (one that I employ always)

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, sft429 said:

Hard to get the employees to genuflect when you don't hand over the tips in person.  

Wow...  Can you be more ignorant?

Edited by ScottVV

Just remember.....Tips on the ship, are not based on USA customs but rather a custom of ships sailing.  They are not based on European standards, Asian standards or any other nationality standard.  Ships have a tipping cultural different than every place else you might visit, or encounter in your lifetime.  Tipping in person, only complicates things for the crew.  The amounts are not really that high, and they are spread out to all those that serve you.  When you tip in cash, the crew still will share those tips. 

You want to tip in person.   That's nice for you.  It's not nice for them.  Makes you feel good.  Makes them wonder all week, if they will get a tip. 

You can do what you want, but at the end of the day, when you hand the money over, you will not know what happens to it, because once it leaves your hand, it is no longer our business to know.  So save the employees the hassle and just tip extra when you want to.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

Wow...  Can you be more ignorant?

So you don't think there is any self-gratification involved at all when someone insists on tipping in person?

5 minutes ago, sft429 said:

So you don't think there is any self-gratification involved at all when someone insists on tipping in person?

^^  This is completely different than what you said before...  Yes, I would as well to show him/her just how much I appreciated their effort for __________ (Fill in the blank for service)..   But I'd never expect someone to "Bow" in front me of me to receive a tip..  I bartended for years and if I had to bow to get a tip, I wouldn't last 5 minutes...  Which is what you originally said about having them "Genuflect" in person....

Edited by ScottVV

3 minutes ago, sft429 said:

A tip is something earned, not given out of obligation, tipping in cash has nothing to do with self gratification, and everything to do with showing my gratitude to an individual 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

No..  I think you may think you're better than they are... 

You got that out of my post?  

Sarcasm definition is - a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain. 

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē/
noun

1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite
  • Like 1

Maybe just once we can not go off on a tangent and not tell people how they should spend their money.

To the OP- I think it is appropriate for you to tip as much as you would like to in cash- or keep the tips auto or on prepay. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sft429 said:

You got that out of my post?  

Sarcasm definition is - a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain. 

i·ro·ny1
/ˈīrənē/
noun

1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite

Watch....

<Sarcasm font> Hard to get the employees to genuflect when you don't hand over the tips in person. </Sarcasm font>

Now, I would see you're being "Sarcastic" and see the "Irony" you're trying to display..  However comma you didn't come off like either, so yea...  I did get that outta your post.

18 minutes ago, sft429 said:

So someone or something is forcing you to read this?

Did anyone force you to read and respond to my post?  It was in jest...due to the fact that tipping posts pop up and go on and on and on and...you get the idea.  Not to mention all the people who get their feathers ruffled by them.  Maybe if I had posted a gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn at the movies it would have been better received? :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1