Tell me everything about leaving from New York

allyfrizzle

My cruise on the Escape is leaving on April 7th from New York. I'm familiar with leaving from Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami... but never New York.

I'll be flying into LaGuardia that afternoon around 12:30, and NCL will be organizing my transfers to the port. I've not heard any details about that part. Will I get details as the cruise gets closer?

What do I need to know about this port? I've read that I probably want to check out the Statue of Liberty during embarkation. But what else? Anything unique about boarding? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with the transfer however the pier is pretty easy.....  https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7655523,-73.9977692,3a,75y,300.86h,76.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2IGEtRAxRbAdy5irBq4M4Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/embarkingdisembarking/

If your at street level walk in and go up one floor. Everything is well marked. NYC skyline will be port side, Statue of Liberty, starboard.....

Edited by Laszlo
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

That's encouraging for a first-timer, thanks...

It was a realistic comment. NYC airports are the worst, there is ongoing construction at LGA, I think you need to be onboard by 2:30. I wouldn’t check luggage.

• Like 1

Yeah, wow! That's a late flight!   Good thing you are doing the NCL transportation. That will help be sure they don't leave without you if things don't go smoothly. Keep fingers crossed that your flight isn't late. Hopefully you purchased trip insurance just in case.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

Yeah, wow! That's a late flight!   Good thing you are doing the NCL transportation. That will help be sure they don't leave without you if things don't go smoothly. Keep fingers crossed that your flight isn't late. Hopefully you purchased trip insurance just in case.

Well now I'm freaking out, haha.

1 hour ago, allyfrizzle said:

My cruise on the Escape is leaving on April 7th from New York. I'm familiar with leaving from Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami... but never New York.

I'll be flying into LaGuardia that afternoon around 12:30, and NCL will be organizing my transfers to the port. I've not heard any details about that part. Will I get details as the cruise gets closer?

What do I need to know about this port? I've read that I probably want to check out the Statue of Liberty during embarkation. But what else? Anything unique about boarding? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

The Statue of Liberty will be on the right side of the ship, try to find a spot on the highest deck to see the Verrazzano bridge. You'll see the bridge up close and the view sb great. The dining room may be closed for lunch, usually 2 pm, however, the buffet /O'Sheenans will be available.  You may want to be on the left side to see mid and lower Manhattan and then shift to the left side to see the statue of liberty. If your flight and cab ride gets you in before the dining room cutoff have a sitdown lunch in the dining room w the Manhattan skyline as your background. The Statue of Liberty sb before the Verrazano so stay outside to see this close view of the bridge. We were on the breakaway's top deck and we were so close to the bottom of the bridge.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

We arrive on April 27 around 9 am at Orlando Airport to leave on the Epic that afternoon, we are taking the ncl transfer. At first, we thought we should arrive a little later, but we realized that we did not want to risk getting there late. Our travel agent told us that the only way the ship would wait for you is if we had arranged our travel plans with NCL, just purchasing the transfer is not enough for them to wait for you. I hope i am wrong.

Edited by spanishguy1970

26 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

Well now I'm freaking out, haha.

I wouldn't freak out just yet. April 7 is a Sunday, and i have been NYC many times to know that on a Sunday the traffic can be a little lighter. I also have to say, that you have organized your transfer with NCL, they took your flight information and agreed to meet you there, to me that is an assurance that they can get you to the ship on time. Good luck to you

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allyfrizzle said:

Thanks in advance!

I would like to help you stop freaking out.

1) Where are you flying from? Is it direct?

2) Most people here will tell you to fly in the day before as a CYA (When I leave from LA/San Juan I am doing this)

3) I live in the DC area and have sailed away from Miami and Mobile most recently. I had flights departing before 7am that arrived with at least a 4 hour gap before final boarding. I had no problems in June 2018 or Jan 2019.

4) If there is anyway to transfer your airline ticket to an earlier flight, I would do it. 2 hours can make all the difference.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I would like to help you stop freaking out.

1) Where are you flying from? Is it direct?

2) Most people here will tell you to fly in the day before as a CYA (When I leave from LA/San Juan I am doing this)

3) I live in the DC area and have sailed away from Miami and Mobile most recently. I had flights departing before 7am that arrived with at least a 4 hour gap before final boarding. I had no problems in June 2018 or Jan 2019.

4) If there is anyway to transfer your airline ticket to an earlier flight, I would do it. 2 hours can make all the difference.

I'll be coming from Detroit, direct flight.

We didn't want to spend so much money to stay overnight at a hotel in NYC, a couple meals, plus transportation to the airport, etc. Plus, as everyone knows, we never know what the flight NCL chooses will be. 

I called NCL and they informed me the change fee would be $200. 

3 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

I totally understand! Did you book your airfare through NCL? If so, no worries. They will get you on that ship. I thought you booked yourself separately.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JennyB1977 said:

I totally understand! Did you book your airfare through NCL? If so, no worries. They will get you on that ship. I thought you booked yourself separately.

I did the free air through them. On the flight confirmation, it states "Note: NCL is not responsible for any flight interruptions out of our control, such as airline flight cancellations, schedule change or weather interruptions, as stated in our brochure." and I think that's what freaks me out the most.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I agree with Jenny.. 

you booked your air through NCL as well as your transfer.. You can stop stressing now.. LOL

Edited by Hockeydad1972
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If something goes wrong from https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

Norwegian Cruise Line Flight Assistance Hotline - While Traveling En-Route

Let's face it, sometimes unforeseen things happen; bad weather, delayed flights and even cancellations. If your flight is changed or a weather-related delay leaves you stuck while you're traveling to one of our Freestyle Cruises®, don't panic. The first thing you should do is immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join our cruise ship. Usually, they can arrange alternative flights at the airline counter, so you can get to your ship or hotel package destination.

After you learn your new flight arrangements, please contact our "Flight Assistance Hotline" at 1.800.456.7179, as soon as possible, with your new flight. The call is toll-free and our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

12 minutes ago, allyfrizzle said:

... Plus, as everyone knows, we never know what the flight NCL chooses will be. 

So you did the air through NCL? In that case you should be fine since they are in charge of getting you there the whole way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

If something goes wrong from https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/airsea

Norwegian Cruise Line Flight Assistance Hotline - While Traveling En-Route

Let's face it, sometimes unforeseen things happen; bad weather, delayed flights and even cancellations. If your flight is changed or a weather-related delay leaves you stuck while you're traveling to one of our Freestyle Cruises®, don't panic. The first thing you should do is immediately advise an airline representative at the airport that you are a guest of Norwegian Cruise Line, and you are on your way to join our cruise ship. Usually, they can arrange alternative flights at the airline counter, so you can get to your ship or hotel package destination.

After you learn your new flight arrangements, please contact our "Flight Assistance Hotline" at 1.800.456.7179, as soon as possible, with your new flight. The call is toll-free and our representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thats all well and good if your flying in the day before but her flight is arriving at 12:30pm and she is flying direct. If the flight gets cancelled last minute for whatever reason, its going to be really tough getting on another flight that is arriving early enough to get them on the ship. If they were arriving at 9am thats a different story.

Personally I would pay the $200 to get on an earlier flight

Its a 10 hour drive from Detroit to NYC

Edited by Laszlo

Just another note about sailing from NY, which you probably are aware of. New York is NOT Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Tampa as you previously sailed out of. Therefore, the first and last two days are cold. Just prepare for that. You may be in the 60s on the first and last day, but that's about it. Pack some warmer clothes if you want to enjoy the awesome views of sailaway from NY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Thats all well and good if your flying in the day before but her flight is arriving at 12:30pm and she is flying direct. If the flight gets cancelled last minute for whatever reason, its going to be really tough getting on another flight that is arriving early enough to get them on the ship. If they were arriving at 9am thats a different story.

Personally I would pay the $200 to get on an earlier flight

Its a 10 hour drive from Detroit to NYC

I would also pay the $200 to get on an earlier flight.  I’d be way too nervous about something going wrong with such a short window between estimated flight arrival time and all-aboard time.

The issue  is  the flight arriving  on time--if  it does you should make it--but I am having anxieyy for you.

I live  in Metro NY and stuff happens--especially on Sunday--parades  close  streets, traffic  is a  way of  life.

Be sure  the  cab uses  WAZE or  Google for the best way to the pier

• Like 1

Just FYI, Sunday - April 7th. at nearby CitiField, it's baseball time for early Spring, NY Mets is playing a home game at 1:10 pm nearby - expect possibly heavier local traffic, although it is in the opposite direction, away from Manhattan's Cruise Terminal, Pier 88.  

Depending on aircraft being flown, I would strongly encourage cross-packing lightly, and avoid checking luggage as it can simply compound matters (in the "unlikely" event of weather, air traffic, flight & luggage delays) ... gate checked carry-on bags are (most likely) not delivered on arrival on the jet bridge or tarmac, but rather directly to the luggage carousal.  

OP is using NCL air & (shared) ground transfer, Waze or GPS-navigation are of no help except to "know" what's ahead as they will likely be in a van and/or motorcoach or bus - and, expect the trip time from LGA to the pier to be a "little" longer, for a Sunday afternoon ... possibly 45 minutes to 1 hour, traffic & weather permitting.  

Odds are that NCL will hold the ship for the group(s) coming from the airport using their air & transfer program, but will likely be late for lunch onboard & possibly just in time for the muster/safety drills prior to sailing ... pack some snacks and/or energy bars & TSA-compliant food.   

• Thanks 1