Tell me everything about leaving from New York

allyfrizzle

Good luck with the connection - don’t stress out too much.  Another option is to get to the airport in DTW early and ask to standby for an earlier flight.  Tell them your concern and my guess is they will try to accommodate you if possible.  I would also call the airline 1st thing in the morning or the night before to see if they will change your flight.  Be nice to them and they are more likely to bend the rules.  BTW - we are driving from Michigan this weekend for our Eescape cruise on Sunday.  Flights are too expensive last minute.  Have fun!

• Like 1

I am an airline pilot and I can safely say that, other than San Francisco, LGA is one of the most delay prone airports I have ever had the displeasure of flying into.  You aren't leaving yourself any wiggle room at all.  If flying in the day before isn't an option for you, fly in as early as possible the day of. 

The last thing you want is showing up to the airport and being slapped with a 2+ hour delay because of traffic management/flow control. New York ATC will go into a SWAP (Severe Weather Avoidance Program) at the slightest hint of weather issues.  Lines of storms can and do often block the arrival corridors into LGA/JFK/EWR.  While the weather at the actual airport may be ok, arrival corridors may be blocked.  

Trust me and do yourself a favor -- fly in earlier!! New York doesn't take much to go into a delay program.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

My cruise on the Escape is leaving on April 7th from New York. I'm familiar with leaving from Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami... but never New York.

I'll be flying into LaGuardia that afternoon around 12:30, and NCL will be organizing my transfers to the port. I've not heard any details about that part. Will I get details as the cruise gets closer?

What do I need to know about this port? I've read that I probably want to check out the Statue of Liberty during embarkation. But what else? Anything unique about boarding? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!

You might want to read this......

16 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Personally I would pay the $200 to get on an earlier flight

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Odds are that NCL will hold the ship for the group(s) coming from the airport using their air & transfer program, but will likely be late for lunch onboard & possibly just in time for the muster/safety drills prior to sailing ... pack some snacks and/or energy bars & TSA-compliant food

12 hours ago, markf said:

I live  in Metro NY and stuff happens--especially on Sunday--parades  close  streets, traffic  is a  way of  life.

16 hours ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

you booked your air through NCL as well as your transfer.. You can stop stressing now.. LOL

I called NCL yesterday and they said I could change the flight but there was a $200 fee.

I called back today and re-iterated what I was feeling and they changed it with no fee. Leave Detroit 7:00, land at LGA at 8;48.

This gives me so much more peace of mind!

Thanks for the advice about the flight. I thought it was fine. But apparently it was not, lol.

So back on track about leaving from NYC... dress warm (check... I'm a Detroiter, so used to cold weather). Check out State of Liberty and the crazy bridge, check. Anything else?

• Like 10

1 minute ago, allyfrizzle said:

I called NCL yesterday and they said I could change the flight but there was a $200 fee.

I called back today and re-iterated what I was feeling and they changed it with no fee. Leave Detroit 7:00, land at LGA at 8;48.

Thanks for the advice about the flight. I thought it was fine. But apparently it was not, lol.

So back on track about leaving from NYC... dress warm (check... I'm a Detroiter, so used to cold weather). Check out State of Liberty and the crazy bridge, check. Anything else?

Excellent!  I'm really glad you did that and a big bonus NCL didn't charge you anything!

Don't worry about your flight time!  Trust NCL knew what they were doing when they booked it for you... anyway, out of your control.  Just think, instead of sitting around for hours at the Pier waiting to embark you will get to pretty much walk straight on! Ha!  Sounds like a way better plan to me lol

We go on this same Cruise but not till July 14th!  So excited.. we have never been to New York and can't wait to see and explore!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great news that they changed it. Arriving at LGA at 12:30 PM just seems too tight for me—they'd probably make sure you get to the pier on time for departure, but it's better to not have to worry about it. Plus, with your new flight, you'll most likely be onboard and enjoying lunch by 12:30 PM.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JillinCalgary said:

Don't worry about your flight time!  Trust NCL knew what they were doing when they booked it for you... anyway, out of your control.

Now thats funny!

40 minutes ago, markf said:

you  di  the right  thing--have  a fun trip

It just took two phone calls. The first rep mentioned this same flight yesterday (leave @ 7, land at 8:48) but she talked to her supervisor and said there was a $200 change fee. Today, I didn't mention any fees and neither did the rep I spoke to. I logged into AA to check my flight and it's already been updated on their site and I picked my seats as well. I haven't gotten official change letter from NCL but she said give it 24 hours.

• Like 1

I’m certainly glad you were able to change to the earlier flight without a fee.  No sense in spoiling your first cruise with all the worry about whether you would make it to the ship on time.  Now you have some wiggle room, and you can enjoy a nice lunch onboard the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get an earlier flight.  So when you get on board, in addition to looking for the Lady of the Harbor and watching for the bridge as you go under it, RELAX.  Whew!.  Maybe have a iced tea or hot tea, depending on weather, or your favorite alcoholic beverage.  That's it for my recommendations!

I'm on this sailing with you and so glad you got your flight time changed. I would not have been able to handle the anxiety. Logistics are the most stressful part of any cruise for me. As soon as I am safely on that ship, I can FINALLY relax and get into "vacation mode". As for sailing out of NYC on the Escape, my advice for sail away, if it's cold outside, is to actually go to the Garden Cafe. It has great views and you can get a snack at the same time! If the weather is nice, any of the top decks will have good views.

Since you are doing NCL transfers from the airport, you won't have to worry about navigating the city at all and they will drop you right at the pier. The area where you leave your bags with the porters outside if VERY tight and can get very congested. Also, you need to take an elevator from there up to the security/check-in area and the elevators can be quite crowded. But once you are up into the terminal, getting through security and check-in is usually pretty quick and easy. If you get there on the late side, just prior to the start of boarding, it can be hard to get a chair to sit and wait, so be prepared to stand, depending on what time you arrive. Boarding usually starts for the earliest groups right after 11:00. Since you have the earlier flight now, you should be on board in time for lunch at O'sheehan's shortly after it opens at 11:30.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

Excellent. So glad you were able to change it! Now relax and have fun! I am leaving from NY next February and will be keeping my eye on the weather. I live in NJ and drive in, but you never know in Feb. If necessary I will go in the day before! Whatever I have to do to get on board, lol.

• Haha 1

One NYC port tip, perhaps never to replicated (?), was when we sailed out of NYC last July 2018...

As the City skyline was fading in the distance, looking back from the windows in the buffet, a whale breached the surface...twice!  That was pretty incredible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Glad to hear you got it changed.  They would have had to sedate me if we were arriving that late.

Lol. I have to take a zanax to fly comfortably anyway! With a tight schedule that might not be enough!

• Haha 1

Happy to hear you were able to get the flight changed. I was nervous for you reading through the first page.

I've only sailed out of NY once. LGA was a traffic nightmare with the construction. Took about an hour to go from the airport to our hotel in Long Island City which is about 5 miles away. Most of that time was just pulling out from the airport. From the hotel to the cruise terminal the next day was about an hour and 20 minutes and is still only about a 5 mile trip.

From there it was probably the smoothest check-in process we've ever done. Took about 5 minutes in line for security, we walked right up to the counter with no lineup to check in and get our cards, and then walked right onto the ship. We were maybe 15 minutes from pulling up to the terminal to being on board.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IronRobi said:

From there it was probably the smoothest check-in process we've ever done. Took about 5 minutes in line for security, we walked right up to the counter with no lineup to check in and get our cards, and then walked right onto the ship. We were maybe 15 minutes from pulling up to the terminal to being on board.

That's awesome to know! I'm looking forward to it.

18 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

If you get there on the late side, just prior to the start of boarding, it can be hard to get a chair to sit and wait, so be prepared to stand, depending on what time you arrive. Boarding usually starts for the earliest groups right after 11:00. Since you have the earlier flight now, you should be on board in time for lunch at O'sheehan's shortly after it opens at 11:30.

I'll be sure to wear my comfy shoes. On my boarding document, it says I begin boarding at noon. I'll bring snacks in my carry-on just in case we're hanging around for a long time.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:14 PM, Laszlo said:

Wow, if you had 30-40 signed up and ONLY 12 showed up......thats very lame

Just now, allyfrizzle said:

That's awesome to know! I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be sure to wear my comfy shoes. On my boarding document, it says I begin boarding at noon. I'll bring snacks in my carry-on just in case we're hanging around for a long time.

The boarding time is just a suggestion. NCL tries to stagger the boarding--but it is not written in stone. If you can get there earlier, you will board earlier--no one checks for your time.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Laszlo said:

The pier in NYC is pretty long. Depending what deck you are on you will board either forward or aft. After you get thru security and check in they will tell you where to board

16 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Going through the Manhattan Terminal will make you appreciate the Florida ports you previously experienced. 🙄

Hey Laszlo and Randy...why don't you both come and hop on the January 19th 2020 14 day Bliss cruise...we can then commiserate together about leaving from Manhattan 😉 (Truth be known though it isn't really all that bad....*sometimes* :classic_biggrin: )

3 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

Hey Laszlo and Randy...why don't you both come and hop on the January 19th 2020 14 day Bliss cruise...we can then commiserate together about leaving from Manhattan 😉 (Truth be known though it isn't really all that bad....*sometimes* :classic_biggrin: )

Hey Red Sol

I would love to but hell will freeze over before my wife goes on another 14 day out of NYC in the winter LOL. We are going to Bermuda October 6th on the Escape and we are looking at a 10 or 11 day on the Epic out of San Juan in February. Going south on our cruise on the BA was OK, but the last two days coming back were miserable Lol