Easter Church Service on Easter Morning?

Charles48

We will be on the Royal Princess on Easter Sunday, which will be a great way to spend Easter! But we wonder if there could or would possibly be an informal service held that morning? I'm guessing that it would depend on if several passengers wanted it and if there was a passenger that would be willing to lead it...??? Has anyone been on a ship on a religious holiday where a worship service was held?

Edited by Charles48
left off a word

My family and I sailed on the Golden Princess to the South Pacific from Australia over Easter in 2017 and they had a wonderful service on board in the Vista Lounge.  It was multi denominational and led by the CD at the time.  I can't recall his name but he was a very charismatic speaker and evidently a Christian.  I seem to recall a Catholic Priest also shared at the service and they served communion.  As my father, who sailed with us, is a retired Minister, he had offered to assist if needed but it was already arranged.  The Vista Lounge was quite full too.  It was advertised in the Patter but probably not obvious to others if you're not looking for it.

• Like 2

Princess stopped having dedicated people onboard for religious services many years ago.

If there is someone onboard be it a  passenger or as stated crew/CD etc that want to conduct a service they can.

We have sailed on a few Easter cruises and and have had an impromptu non denominational service a couple of times.

Best to contact the CD and or a member of the cruise staff asap to see if they have anything planned once onboard.

It may depend on whether Easter is a sea day, a port day, or an embarkation/disembarkation day.

They usually have a service every Sunday if it's a sea day, and they have had one on Easter on every cruise I've been on. It will be led by a crew member or a volunteer passenger. They do not always have a Catholic mass - they would have one only if a passenger priest volunteered.

They probably would not hold a service on an embarkation/disembarkation day even if it were Easter.

On a sea day, it would depend on the time in port. If it's a half-day port day in the afternoon, they may hold a service in the morning. If you're in port all day, they would probably not hold a service - you can always attend a service in port. I've attended services at churches in port several times when Sunday was a port day. In addition to the religious benefits of attending service, it's a great way to meet locals in an environment where you're not a tourist. As a Presbyterian, I have attended Church of Scotland services in Scotland and in Gibraltar. The hospitality is overwhelming.

If you will be in port on a Sunday, I recommend doing some online research in advance to find the location and times for the service. Also I have sent emails to the pastor to verify information in advance of my cruise.

Easter will be a Sea day.

If there are clergy on board as passengers then it is most likely there will be a formal service or mass depending on the faith of the clergy. Princess does not place clergy on board.

If no clergy on board there will most likely be a non-denominational service conducted by one of the crew members. If held it will be listed in the Princess Patter received Saturday evening.

Have a nice trip to Mexico.

Trivia: Did you know Mazatlan means Place of the Deer?

Our very first cruise our first sea day was on Easter back in 2005 with our then 10 year old twin sons aboard Diamond.  They had a nice Easter service in one of the lounges and we enjoyed it much.  I'm sure they are continuing this practice.  Enjoy your cruise.  We're aboard the Royal April 6th as well.

Was on the Caribbean  Princess last Easter and it had a wonderful  nondenominational  Easter Sunday service which was organized  by the passengers .  We so enjoyed our next  door cabin neighbor practicing  the hymns he was going to sing for the service  on his balcony. Joe had a wonderful  voice .Hope you get to experience  Easter service on Princess . 

59 minutes ago, JEH said:

We so enjoyed our next  door cabin neighbor practicing  the hymns he was going to sing for the service  on his balcony.

wonder how the other people on the surrounding  balconies

felt about someone singing out on the balcony loud enough for them to hear ??

sorry ...

now, that being stated, we are going to do the UBD on our upcoming cruise and hope

that doesn't offend our next door cabin mates ... too much

Edited by voljeep