Booked Our First Interior - Any Hints - Tips - Tricks?

805Trent

So the wife and I just booked our first interior room on a 4 day Baja cruise. Options were limited so we took an aft 6th deck to avoid any possible overhead deck noise. We've always had balconies but wanted to expand our cruising experience and figured we could tolerate 4 days with an interior if its not to our liking. So looking for a little help from those that have sailed with interior cabins on what tips, tricks or hints that can be shared to making the most of the interior cabin on Carnival. Bring extra lights? A Fan? A Picture of a port hole ;-) Also, can you request a room fridge? just looking for anything you guys or gals would be willing to share that enhanced your stay in an interior cabin,. Much thanks in advance and happy sailing !!!

One of the crew told us he puts his TV on the ship channel that has a view of the front of the ship so he knew when it was light or dark outside.  We had that room type once and the darkness is a real struggle!  

• Like 7

There are three methods regarding light in the room overnight.  The first, which provides the most light, was just mentioned by turning the TV on to the bow channel.  The other methods are to turn the bathroom light on and either leave the door ajar, or if you just want a little light, close the door shut.  This way, light will still come into the cabin under the door and will act as a night light shining on the carpet.

• Like 5

You won't have a couch, so make sure you put everything away so the vanity stool and chair become places to sit, and not just catch alls to dump stuff on.

I like setting the tv to the lido deck camera.  That way you know when it's light out, but you also know when the deck is starting to fill up, if you want to get up there and get a chair. And you also know when the towel animals invade if that's important to you.

Setting an alarm for the latest possible you want to get up helps.  That way you'll have some idea of what time it is.  

Some ships have fridges in their interior rooms- the Splendor and some Sunshine rooms do, the Fascination doesn't. 

The Fascination had some motion lights under the closet- if you walked in front of them, they would come on and that was enough light to get to the bathroom in the dark, so we didn't leave the bathroom light on.

The biggest thing is find quiet spots to hang out elsewhere on the ship, so you're not sitting in your room thinking about how small and dark it is.  If you're only in there to sleep and get ready, it's more than sufficient for that.  Also, if you like naps, use the darkness to your advantage in the middle of the day

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

You won't have a couch, so make sure you put everything away so the vanity stool and chair become places to sit, and not just catch alls to dump stuff on.

I like setting the tv to the lido deck camera.  That way you know when it's light out, but you also know when the deck is starting to fill up, if you want to get up there and get a chair. And you also know when the towel animals invade if that's important to you.

Setting an alarm for the latest possible you want to get up helps.  That way you'll have some idea of what time it is.  

Some ships have fridges in their interior rooms- the Splendor and some Sunshine rooms do, the Fascination doesn't. 

The Fascination had some motion lights under the closet- if you walked in front of them, they would come on and that was enough light to get to the bathroom in the dark, so we didn't leave the bathroom light on.

The biggest thing is find quiet spots to hang out elsewhere on the ship, so you're not sitting in your room thinking about how small and dark it is.  If you're only in there to sleep and get ready, it's more than sufficient for that.  Also, if you like naps, use the darkness to your advantage in the middle of the day

Great insight, I have to say that the nap part is appealing after a day ashore. Also finding a quiet spot is a great idea too. Told the wife we need to learn gin rummy or dominoes I guess. Good or bad, the experience will be part of the journey 🙂 Thank you 

• Like 3

My husband and I have taken some 40+ cruises and we almost always book an interior cabin.  We are active people, so we are seldom in the cabin.  Many on cruise critic would never consider booking an interior, but we actually sleep better because of the darkness.  We'd rather book an interior and go on another cruise, rather than limit ourselves to just one a year. We don't cruise for the actual cabin, but rather for the ports.

Hope you enjoy yourselves. 

• Like 8

We've been in interior cabins before and really didn't miss having a view (we've never had a balcony -- so that's a different story). All the tips mentioned above are good.

We slept more soundly in an interior cabin than we did in a window cabin. So, if you're used to waking up from natural light cues, be sure to set alarms so you won't miss out on morning activities you want to do.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, naxer said:

I had my first interior on the Glory last month.  I really didn't notice a difference in terms of how it affected me or my cruise. 

just got off the Glory last month on the Journey cruise ... dont know I could do 12 days interior ... but good to know 

5 minutes ago, Yuridog said:

My husband and I have taken some 40+ cruises and we almost always book an interior cabin.  We are active people, so we are seldom in the cabin.  Many on cruise critic would never consider booking an interior, but we actually sleep better because of the darkness.  We'd rather book an interior and go on another cruise, rather than limit ourselves to just one a year. We don't cruise for the actual cabin, but rather for the ports.

Totally agree with everything you said.  Especially a great night sleep.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 805Trent said:

just got off the Glory last month on the Journey cruise ... dont know I could do 12 days interior ... but good to know 

When I got off, you got on.  That Journey cruise was all the crew was talking about during my cruise.  It started giving us a complex. lol  Actually, when I got off I did a side to side and got on another ship for another 7 day cruise in an interior, so it was 14 days for me.  It was fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, naxer said:

When I got off, you got on.  That Journey cruise was all the crew was talking about during my cruise.  It started giving us a complex. lol  Actually, when I got off I did a side to side and got on another ship for another 7 day cruise in an interior, so it was 14 days for me.  It was fine.

You give me hope Obi Wan !!! 😉 .. Journey Cruise was amazing!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Yuridog said:

This.  We booked an interior once for a quick, spur-of-the-moment NCL cruise many years ago.  Enjoyed it so much, we now almost always get an interior.  It's dark and cozy for sleeping, and we spend most of our waking time in port or on deck.  Plus, there's the satisfaction of saving a wad of cash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, naxer said:

I had my first interior on the Glory last month.  I really didn't notice a difference in terms of how it affected me or my cruise. 

We will be in an Interior on the Glory in May. At first I really wanted atleast a port hole or something so it didn't feel so closed in, but now I think I'm looking forward to darkness and the good sleep. 

Our last cruise was our first interior, for the price it is worth it.  The only time it felt small was when we were getting ready for dinner at night. Our solution my husband would go up to Alchemy after I got out of the shower, win-win!

• Like 1

As a family on a tight budget, interior cabins allow us to cruise. Maybe one day we'll be able to splurge on a balcony, but we really don't mind it. I like the darkness, I always have lights off and shades closed at home. My wife always calls me a vampire LOL. I have a very hard time sleeping during daylight, I need the room to be as dark as possible.

Probably the only extra lighting you'd need is if you want a night light of some kind. Unless you like it really bright in the room, the cabin lights are sufficient. I take my portable fan no matter where we vacation, including cruises. I can't sleep in silence and we like the white noise. That and sometimes I'll get warm enough to use it for actual cooling. My wife will use it to circulate the hot/humid air in the bathroom after a shower. I don't know how many power outlets you're used to since we've never stayed in a balcony, but we've only ever had one (at the vanity desk). So I always take a 3-way adapter and a long extension cord. The extension cord lets us move the fan next to the bed or in the bathroom, or charge our phones away from the desk. I prefer the adapter and cord over taking a bulky power strip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yuridog said:

We , too book only inside cabins, after many years of booking only balconies. We are retired now, and we decided if we wanted to continue to cruise, but with a much more limited budget, we would have to cruise in inside cabins. We spend very little time in our cabin, so it’s fine, but I do miss pre-dinner cocktails or early morning coffee on a balcony. But cruising is very important to me as a retirement vacation plan, so inside cabins it is. That, or not cruise at all, because OV or balcony rates do not fit our budget. We even have a B2B planned for April 2020 for our 50th Anniversary. That is definitely something we could never do with OV or balcony rates. We do set the TV to the bridge station to get the sunrise. And leaving the bathroom light on with the door close does give you a sliver of light from under the door. Remember to shut your bathroom door because if not, the rocking of the ship will cause your bathroom door to keep swinging open. We bring heavy duty magnetic hooks for metal cabin walls, that we bought at Home Depot to hang wet swimsuits on. Most insides have refrigerators, but we found them to always be too warm, even when leaving outside cabinet door open. Our solution is to have the room steward fill the ice bucket twice a day, and we put it in refrigerator (with lid off ice bucket). It works like an old fashion ice box. I do miss having at least a couch to sit on in an inside cabin, so we just shower, dress, and sleep in cabin. There’s no place to relax, except on the bed. 

• Like 3

We've done interior, window & balcony.  While I love a balcony, I find that I really don't spend a huge amount of time out there.  Interior cabins are of course less expensive and great for a good night's sleep or an afternoon nap.  I use a battery powered, motion activated nightlight for bathroom trips.  You do need to be organized, since you don't have the sofa, but we've never had issues with storage.  Suitcases & large backpack go under the bed.  Small backpacks hang on the wall hooks.  All else goes in the desk drawers & closet.  We aren't in the room a whole lot.  For me the downside is if you want to watch tv during the day.  We end up laying in bed & may end up with a nap we hadn't planned. 😉  I think they do stay a lot cooler than the balcony cabins, just because you don't have all that glass & sunshine.

• Like 1

Love interior cabins.  As others have said the sleep is wonderful.  I liken it to buying the least expensive house in the best neighborhood, always a smart move:)  Cannot wait to retire and take nice long cruises!

• Like 2

We always did interiors when I was a kid traveling with my parents. The only interior DW and I have done was in RCI Empress, that room was tiny. Barely bigger than the bed. DW said it's the best she's slept in a cruise ship. On fantasy class I think OV and interior are the same size. Finding a nice place in the ship that is quiet is the key. In the Empress they had great seating areas around the atrium with windows, the library on fantasy class ships is a great option. 

$1 plug in night lights, collapsible containers for dirty clothes and toiletries, magnetic hooks for the walls if metal from dollar tree. We too have had balconies, ov and interior cabins.  Interiors are fine.  We are not in the room a lot.  Also, sometimes we sneak in a nap from 2pm to 3:30pm.

Edited by Hotdog 52
addition

10 hours ago, paper1122 said:

We always did interiors when I was a kid traveling with my parents. The only interior DW and I have done was in RCI Empress, that room was tiny. Barely bigger than the bed. DW said it's the best she's slept in a cruise ship. On fantasy class I think OV and interior are the same size. Finding a nice place in the ship that is quiet is the key. In the Empress they had great seating areas around the atrium with windows, the library on fantasy class ships is a great option. 

I actually found that Carnival has the largest of inside cabins. Next would be RCCL, and then the smallest is NCL. I really don’t mind the no window, but I really would like a couch to sit on. 

• Like 1