Substituting someone else if husband can’t go

cwmcaa

My husband’s mother just had a cancer diagnosis this week.  Our cruise leaves this Sunday, but if surgery is needed immediately he will need to be here for her.  We did not buy insurance (yes, that is our fault). Her first oncology appt is tomorrow and we will know the plan then but curious if anyone knows the policy of substituting another person for him, our daughter would be available to go in his place with me.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You can change a passenger up to 24 hours before the cruise.

Thank you for your quick reply.  That is what I found online also when I did a quick search but was afraid there might have been a policy change. 

2 minutes ago, cwmcaa said:

Thank you for your quick reply.  That is what I found online also when I did a quick search but was afraid there might have been a policy change. 

I would not push the 24-hour thing too close either.  I don't kbow how well they abide to the 24-hour time.

2 hours ago, cwmcaa said:

Agree, we will know tomorrow after her appt and will make the decision then.  That will give us 3 days to do all the switching if necessary. 

Three days is plenty.

I am sending healing vibes to your mother in law.  

• Like 1

Just a quick update, my mother in law is being treated without surgery so we feel comfortable with him leaving this week.  Thank goodness on both counts, even though substituting is possible I was imagining a host of issues that could have happened to complicate the process.  Thank you all who gave me insight and advice.

• Like 3

We did it a couple of years ago, just over the 24 hours and the only hangup we had was at check in.  There were 2 different list/manifests and they didn't have the name change on one of them.  We were super patient and understanding, because we were the ones who made this difficult.  They were very helpful and we got it all figured out and had a great vacation.

6 hours ago, cwmcaa said:

Just a quick update, my mother in law is being treated without surgery so we feel comfortable with him leaving this week.  Thank goodness on both counts, even though substituting is possible I was imagining a host of issues that could have happened to complicate the process.  Thank you all who gave me insight and advice.

cwmcaa,

thanks for coming back and letting us know the prognosis.  When I read your original post,  I didn't have any insight about changing names.

I have dealt with in-laws health issues and can somewhat understand your stress and the stress that other members of the family may be dealing with.

Each family handles it differently and there is no all size fits all approach.

Sounds like you handled it with aplomb.

Thoughts will be with MIL.

Edited by gatour

7 hours ago, cwmcaa said:

Good to hear. Mother is 2 times Breast Cancer survivor. Enjoy the Cruise!

On 3/21/2019 at 3:28 AM, little britain said:

The cut off is when the manifest is sent to the ship. No changes allowed after that. This can be 48 hrs beforehand. I’d work on 48hrs rather than 24, esp if it is a Sunday departure. Bestwishes to MiL. 

All something someone said on the internet which is totally make believe

On 3/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, cwmcaa said:

My husband’s mother just had a cancer diagnosis this week.  Our cruise leaves this Sunday, but if surgery is needed immediately he will need to be here for her.  We did not buy insurance (yes, that is our fault). Her first oncology appt is tomorrow and we will know the plan then but curious if anyone knows the policy of substituting another person for him, our daughter would be available to go in his place with me.

Thanks

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers!!