The Food Republic -- Question

Greenpea2

The NCL website says this restaurant is open for dinner and on selected days, for lunch. Has anyone had lunch there? I'm wondering if the lunch menu is the complete dinner menu or if it is different/fewer items. Many thanks in advance.

I've had lunch there on 2 different cruises. The lunch schedule is unpredictable, though. It's best to check the dailies for lunch times as far as if it will be open (port days vs. sea days).

The dailies that I have for Escape show lunch (11:30a - 1:00p) on a port day and (12:00p - 1:30p) on a sea day. 

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I've had lunch there on 2 different cruises. The lunch schedule is unpredictable, though. It's best to check the dailies for lunch times as far as if it will be open (port days vs. sea days).

The dailies that I have for Escape show lunch (11:30a - 1:00p) on a port day and (12:00p - 1:30p) on a sea day. 

Thanks, Two Wheels, I will do that. Was the menu the same as for dinner?

Just now, CoffeeGoddess said:

It's the same menu whether it is lunch or dinner.  From my experience lunch is usually only available on sea days.

Cool. Thanks! Not sure if we would do dinner or lunch, but figured I'd find out about the menu.

13 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

TBH, I don't remember. I usually try different things and just pick whatever item catches my eye on the screen. I don't even remember the name of the items....they taste good, though. :classic_tongue:

When I initially checked out the menu I thought "ew, I don't think that would be my thing". Pork belly (or any pork except bacon) is not something I like, neither is sushi and most seafood (except fish fry, and shrimp/lobster/crab). But recently I looked it over again since so many rave reviews have been posted. There are actually a number of items I def want to try! Glad I gave it another chance.

1 minute ago, dexddd said:

Are you in a suite?  They seem to give 1/2 off the first night for dinner.

Yes, we will be. But I want to eat at Le Bistro that first night as a special celebration. Figures, right?! Oh well, we have the dining package and I have 2 Platinum Plus dinner certs so I don't mind paying for one specialty meal. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

59 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

When I initially checked out the menu I thought "ew, I don't think that would be my thing". Pork belly (or any pork except bacon) is not something I like, neither is sushi and most seafood (except fish fry, and shrimp/lobster/crab). But recently I looked it over again since so many rave reviews have been posted. There are actually a number of items I def want to try! Glad I gave it another chance.

Pork belly is bacon....just better. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Pork belly is bacon....just better. 🙂

I like thin crispy bacon, though. With most of the fat gone. Pork belly is very fatty and when I have seen it, thick pieces or slices. Just doesn’t appeal to me.

8 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I like thin crispy bacon, though. With most of the fat gone. Pork belly is very fatty and when I have seen it, thick pieces or slices. Just doesn’t appeal to me.

Give it a shot, cooked properly, melts in your mouth.  Lots of good choices at Food Republic though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Give it a shot, cooked properly, melts in your mouth.  Lots of good choices at Food Republic though. 

Maybe in the dumplings...might have to do a shot of tequila first, ha ha,  The scallops, teriyaki chicken, prawn sausage and more sound really good! Now I am hungry...

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It has very limited lunch hours. Many people show up and get turned away. If you are not seated and ordered at opening, service is slow. 

Good to know. We will shoot for dinner some night.

For lunch or dinner on the Escape, we can highly recommend Pincho Tapas.  Loved everything we had there.  We have been on Escape 4 times, the first 3 times with the old Food Republic menu.  It was our favorite place to eat on Escape.    In our opinion, the new FR menu is just not as good as before so we recommend you try Pincho Tapas too.

7 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

For lunch or dinner on the Escape, we can highly recommend Pincho Tapas.  Loved everything we had there.  We have been on Escape 4 times, the first 3 times with the old Food Republic menu.  It was our favorite place to eat on Escape.    In our opinion, the new FR menu is just not as good as before so we recommend you try Pincho Tapas too.

Thanks, Sand and Seas--but we will be on the Bliss. No Pincho Tapas on that ship. Sounds like FR will be good, though.

2 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Thanks, Sand and Seas--but we will be on the Bliss. No Pincho Tapas on that ship. Sounds like FR will be good, though.

The Bliss is a beautiful ship!  Just got home from her earlier this month.  Have a great cruise 🙂

I had lunch there on Escape and Bliss.............. I can't remember the differences but want to say menu different.  I don't know if it was just timing and when Bliss rolled out with different menu, Escape also change.

Things changing all the time is what keeps CC alive.