Port of Tampa, RCI Terminal

We are thinking about booking Rhapsody, out of Tampa, for next February. It is only a 7 day cruise. I checked, and Brilliance has a 5 day cruise, also out of Tampa, that disembarks the same day that Rhapsody sails. I am trying to find out how far apart the ships might be, but can't find a terminal map anywhere. Are they a comfortable walking distance, with luggage aprt?

10 minutes ago, packercruising said:

Thank you! Maybe do a B2B on Rhapsody. 🙂 Same itinerary, though.

We did a side-to-side once between Rhapsody and Brilliance.  Went to the aquarium (between terminals 2 and 3) on changeover day, they store luggage for free. 

• Like 1

Terminal 3 and 6 are only about one ship length apart.  There wasn't enough room to put two ships between them when we were in 6 with Brilliance and 3 had the ship going to Cuba in December.  Sailed out of 6 and returned at 3.  We stayed at Embassy and took the trolley down the length of the pier.  Walk from trolley to a ship is also about a ship length (and mostly on the road), so you would be better off walking direct than going out to street, waiting for trolley and then walking back to pier.  Trolley isn't designed for luggage but driver will help lift bags up there.

Tampa has a really good guide to the piers, including ship schedules: https://www.porttb.com/cruise-terminal-6

Trolley info is here:  http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/#/home

We are on Rhapsody right now (just boarded) and brilliance is right next to us currently. Not sure if they’re always in same positions or not, but itd be an easy walk  (we are at terminal 6) 

Edited by Holmie

On 3/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, Host Clarea said:

We did a side-to-side once between Rhapsody and Brilliance.  Went to the aquarium (between terminals 2 and 3) on changeover day, they store luggage for free. 

That was nice to store the luggage. We did a side-to-side in Port Canaveral a few years ago and every aspect of it was on our own. We had to go from the old terminal to new terminal ( not walkable ) but RCCL told us is was a few steps away.

It worked put. We had parked offsite. We ended up taking the offsite shuttle back to our car, putting a few things in the trunk, and then waiting at the  offsite facility to shuttle us to the new terminal.  We didn’t have a need to be off very early  so we had a fairly leisure breakfast, and then departed the ship.  We also arrived at the second ship  on the early side and were able to get on the ship as soon as boarding opened. 

I would do it again, and in Tampa, it seems to be super easy.  I may look into it rather than our usual back to back’s in Tampa. 

M

On 3/22/2019 at 9:47 AM, LeeW said:

Terminal 3 and 6 are only about one ship length apart.  There wasn't enough room to put two ships between them when we were in 6 with Brilliance and 3 had the ship going to Cuba in December.  Sailed out of 6 and returned at 3.  We stayed at Embassy and took the trolley down the length of the pier.  Walk from trolley to a ship is also about a ship length (and mostly on the road), so you would be better off walking direct than going out to street, waiting for trolley and then walking back to pier.  Trolley isn't designed for luggage but driver will help lift bags up there.

Tampa has a really good guide to the piers, including ship schedules: https://www.porttb.com/cruise-terminal-6

Trolley info is here:  http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/#/home

We will be off Rhapsody on Sat 4/6.  I was planning to take the trolley from whichever terminal we dock at, to Embassy Suites to pick up the Avis rental car, but I was concerned about taking our 2 bags onto the trolley, even on a Sat. morning.  Any opinion on whether that will be an issue?  I assumed the trolley wouldn't be filled with commuters on Sat, but might be filled with cruisers instead.  We're in no rush, so maybe we just wait for the next trolley if one appears full.  Any estimate on distance, if we choose to walk to Embassy instead?

And, we'll be going back to Brillance on Mon 4/15, and I anticipated doing the trolley then too.  Maybe the baggage will be an issue that day, and we should see if Avis has a shuttle to the pier instead.

Thanks for your opinion on my choices.

1 hour ago, SECdawg said:

Florida departure boards are not very responsive. Leave next Saturday and was hoping to get some feedback fairly soon to decide whether to book at port or off site.

That's not been my experience, the folks on the Florida board are usually pretty quick to respond.

8 hours ago, lighthousewoman said:

We will be off Rhapsody on Sat 4/6.  I was planning to take the trolley from whichever terminal we dock at, to Embassy Suites to pick up the Avis rental car, but I was concerned about taking our 2 bags onto the trolley, even on a Sat. morning.  Any opinion on whether that will be an issue?  I assumed the trolley wouldn't be filled with commuters on Sat, but might be filled with cruisers instead.  We're in no rush, so maybe we just wait for the next trolley if one appears full.  Any estimate on distance, if we choose to walk to Embassy instead?

Trolley only had about 6 people on it when we got off Brilliance and that was a Thursday morning.  They have the ability to load wheelchairs (kind of like fold-down ramp on a bus) but not set up for luggage.  Driver just manhandles luggage up there (I gave her $5 tip).  Runs about every 20 minutes or so (check their website for your dates).  

Embassy is to your right at that trolley stop, Marriott left.  When we were there they had a tiny Avis office next to the entrance since the whole ground floor was being redone.  Lines were out the door on the morning we sailed (at least 10 people), with only one person being served at a time.  Single driver was there getting cars from an offsite garage and bringing them back.  With only one person in front of me it took almost an hour to get our car.  The Marriott has a Hertz desk that you might want to consider instead of Avis.

Edited by LeeW
more

19 hours ago, SECdawg said:

Does anyone have experience with off site parking in Tampa? We are looking at "Tampa Cruise parking on Channel side.

Thanks

Donna

we  just use a nearby hotel that offers parking for the duration.   never had to pay more than $130 for a  night in a King room.  there are many to choose from.  

15 hours ago, LeeW said:

Trolley only had about 6 people on it when we got off Brilliance and that was a Thursday morning.  They have the ability to load wheelchairs (kind of like fold-down ramp on a bus) but not set up for luggage.  Driver just manhandles luggage up there (I gave her $5 tip).  Runs about every 20 minutes or so (check their website for your dates).  

Embassy is to your right at that trolley stop, Marriott left.  When we were there they had a tiny Avis office next to the entrance since the whole ground floor was being redone.  Lines were out the door on the morning we sailed (at least 10 people), with only one person being served at a time.  Single driver was there getting cars from an offsite garage and bringing them back.  With only one person in front of me it took almost an hour to get our car.  The Marriott has a Hertz desk that you might want to consider instead of Avis.

Thanks, this is so helpful. Unfortunately, I prepaid Avis so I don't want to change companies.  I hate waiting but when we pick up the car we have no time constraints to leave Tampa.  But, on Monday, I think we'll try to be at the counter when they open at 8 am, as I would rather get to the terminal early and sit waiting to board the ship than stand in line at Avis.  I'm glad to hear the trolley shouldn't be an issue with our luggage, either day.