Nieuw Statendam engine problems?

frankc98376

2 hours ago, niceguyneastbay said:

That is very vague.  Please share what happened with your experience with the Captain. 

No, it's not , let's leave it with the fact that a lot of pax were not happy with him, this was a 35plus day  cruise to Tahiti etc. and back..

Interesting to find this out. Will be on the Nieuw Statendam next year on a Norwegian cruise and visiting the town near where this Viking Sky ship is undergoing the evacuation. Still hopeful as these things do happen and it's unfortunate but we can't stop living. We just have to be reminded to be humble every now and then and consider the bigger things in life and realize how good we sometimes do have it. Hope everyone on the Viking Sky is okay!

In case anybody was wondering:

Nieuw Statendam Diesels4 diesel engines make MAK - type 12 VM43C 12 cyl. V-type of 12.800 kW. each-total output 51.200 kW. at 514 rpm

Viking Sky Diesels: 4 diesel engines make: MAN 2 type 9L32/44CR - 2 type 12V32/44CR - Total installed power: 23.520 kW at 720 rpm

Source: http://www.nedcruise.info

Suggestion.

Often vessels that have mechanical power losses, have a chronic history of it.  Often reading through CC reviews for a particular vessel could uncover a trend.

During a terrible cruise on Oceania Regatta last fall where we missed 3 ports, and the ship was only sailing at 15 knots, not its normal 18 knot running speed, many of us guests sat in the computer area and read pages of CC reviews as far back as 2011. The captain and management aboard refused to answer questions about why we missed half our ports.

We uncovered many instances of this vessel having power outages and resulting loss of power and of course, missed and shortened ports. Look for trends of missed ports, late arrivals. CC members often comment on this in their reviews.Suffice it to say that our party will not be cruising Oceania again, also given the much lowered food quality and staff reduction levels.

Thankfully the passengers and crew of the Sky are ok.

But questions will be asked by many, including the Viking insurer, about other engine failures in this class of Viking vessel.

Do a bit of research before hand, we in our party, sure wish we had checked the CC reviews of Regatta, we never would have booked.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jennifire7 said:

We were on the cruise.  We received port charges back and $50 per person. 

It never felt unsafe and the Captain updated us frequently with what was happening.  

Pretty good.  We've missed Half Moon Cay several times and never received more than a glass of bubbles. 😉

I was on this cruise and Captain O’Driscoll did a great job keeping passengers informed and did what he felt was right for our safety. We were credited for taxes and other fees as well as $50 per “person” (not cabin) for missing HMC. There were really no other impacts. Nieuw Statendam is a gorgeous ship with a great captain at her helm...I wouldn’t hesitate to sail on her again. 

I was also on this cruise and found the Captain very friendly and approachable.  He announced the power outage in the early morning (you could hear warning sirens coming from the bridge as he spoke) and he gave frequent updates.  Ventilation was restored very quickly so were were never uncomfortable.   His decision to skip HMC was, IMHO, the correct one.  It was disappointing but at the time we did not have all engines on line.  

When he announced his decision he gave complete reasoning.

I do question why a new ship would have engine failure. It should not have happened.  But I am happy with the $50pp and the port fees credit. 

3 hours ago, coffee59 said:

I was also on this cruise and found the Captain very friendly and approachable.  He announced the power outage in the early morning (you could hear warning sirens coming from the bridge as he spoke) and he gave frequent updates.  Ventilation was restored very quickly so were were never uncomfortable.   His decision to skip HMC was, IMHO, the correct one.  It was disappointing but at the time we did not have all engines on line.  

When he announced his decision he gave complete reasoning.

I do question why a new ship would have engine failure. It should not have happened.  But I am happy with the $50pp and the port fees credit. 

Noel O'Driscoll is a great Captain.   I sailed with him a few weeks ago.  We are Blessed to have him as a Captain. The problem must have been solved or repaired as she is at sea and hopefully at HMC.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, VMax1700 said:

I believe that Noel O'Driscoll is Master at the moment.

I was on this cruise that had engine problems.  You are correct that Noel O'Driscoll is currently Master.