Well Darn, Now What?

sparks1093

With our next cruise coming up in a matter of days DW and I went ahead and booked another cruise. Only trouble it, it's over 500 days away. But I think the worst part is that normally I spend the time between the booking and the sailing researching the ship, looking at photos, etc. but I cannot do that this time because the ship that we booked, Radiance, isn't even in existence yet. Well, not as Radiance anyway, I guess it is as Victory. So if anyone has been on Destiny and Sunshine, how noticeable are the differences? What's to like/not like about the make-over? 

I had a great time on the Victory, and am excited to go on it as the Radiance too. 500 days away is too much for me. I can't even book something that far out, because it is killer. The longest I have done is 7 months out, and the wait was unbearable. Godspeed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I booked my upcoming cruise at 568 days out....it has taken FOREVER.......but we are down to 29 days now.

Anyway, sorry for the arc. Im not sure about the ship, so I can't be of much help there. I hope you find what you're looking for.

• Like 1

We are booked out further than we usually do.  I will still be 2 days short of platinum on our cruise.  I keep looking for an inexpensive 3 or 4 day cruise to take between now and then.  I would love to be platinum on our big cruise this fall. I could cancel FTTF I have booked

• Like 2

Radiance will not be like the Sunshine. Sunshine Serenity occupies 3 decks forward -- deck 11 is a pool with a water fall dropping into it. Deck 12 is where the water fall originates with chairs and loungers behind the water fall and deck 14 has the bar and loungers and clam shells all the way forward. Sunshine also did away with the aft pool on the Lido deck and replaced it with the Havana Bar and the Asian and Italian restaurants.

Looks like Radiance will retain the Serenity as it is on the Victory and will have a mid-ship and aft pool.

Edited by tandemcruzr
Clarification

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

With our next cruise coming up in a matter of days DW and I went ahead and booked another cruise. Only trouble it, it's over 500 days away. But I think the worst part is that normally I spend the time between the booking and the sailing researching the ship, looking at photos, etc. but I cannot do that this time because the ship that we booked, Radiance, isn't even in existence yet. Well, not as Radiance anyway, I guess it is as Victory. So if anyone has been on Destiny and Sunshine, how noticeable are the differences? What's to like/not like about the make-over? 

Actually, I think the Radiance was the ship I heard would sail the Mediterranian at some point, so I was hoping to hear more about it. I sailed it as the Victory back in 2004 and had a lovely time, but it didn’t have everything all the ships have now. I have heard that all the new food venues and bars will be added, so that’s great. BTW, I sailed the Destiny, but never have the Sunshine. My daughter has sailed the Sunshine twice, and said it was fabulous, so they must have improved on the Destiny to please my daughter.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Sunshine 3 years ago and I thought it was just fine.  I'm not a stickler for details as to how much rust was on the ship and if the decor was pleasing to the eye.  The ship was clean, service was fantastic, food was great, entertainment was great and it was a great cruise!  I would sail her again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I literally have no idea what I'm doing 500 days from now. It blows my mind that y'all can book that far out, but hats off to you. I can't make plans like that, but it's awesome you can.

To be honest it's the only way we can book, spur of the moment isn't in the cards right now. Our upcoming Royal cruise was actually booked inside of a year and it was a fluke.

1 hour ago, tandemcruzr said:

Radiance will not be like the Sunshine. Sunshine Serenity occupies 3 decks forward -- deck 11 is a pool with a water fall dropping into it. Deck 12 is where the water fall originates with chairs and loungers behind the water fall and deck 14 has the bar and loungers and clam shells all the way forward. Sunshine also did away with the aft pool on the Lido deck and replaced it with the Havana Bar and the Asian and Italian restaurants.

Looks like Radiance will retain the Serenity as it is on the Victory and will have a mid-ship and aft pool.

I wasn't even aware that the Sunshine had a waterfall. Bummer it won't be on Radiance.

15 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

To be honest it's the only way we can book, spur of the moment isn't in the cards right now. Our upcoming Royal cruise was actually booked inside of a year and it was a fluke.

Truly jealous!

About 2-3 months ahead seems to be our sweet spot. We generally will know our kids' schedules and activities by then, and I'll know whether or not I have a trial at that time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Truly jealous!

About 2-3 months ahead seems to be our sweet spot. We generally will know our kids' schedules and activities by then, and I'll know whether or not I have a trial at that time.

That's one advantage to being an empty nester, I guess:classic_wink:. I just have to worry about my school schedule and that's one of the reasons we booked this particular cruise, classes will be done by then.😊

I'm really interested in booking an 8 day cruise on the Radiance for April 2021, but DH wants to me to wait until after we sail the Sunshine next month before doing that. And I guess I agree with him that we probably should see how we like a ship that size and being on a cruise for 8 days before booking another similar cruise. 

Plus, booking that this early, seeing the number of days until that one might drive me crazy! :classic_laugh:

12 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I literally have no idea what I'm doing 500 days from now. It blows my mind that y'all can book that far out, but hats off to you. I can't make plans like that, but it's awesome you can.

We always book at least a year in advance, usually a year & a half. It's much easier to put that vacation in the calendar that far ahead then just plan around it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

We always book at least a year in advance, usually a year & a half. It's much easier to put that vacation in the calendar that far ahead then just plan around it. 

Same here. I booked my April 11, 2020 50th Anniversary cruise way back in March 2018, as soon as those cruises opened up. When I returned from my March 2 Breeze cruise recently, we decided that Carnival was so much more fun than we had on our RCCL and NCL cruises, and added a week to our 2020 cruise on the Magic, making it a true B2B. I’m now waiting for more 2021 cruises to open up for booking. I guess it helps that we are retired and only have to look at schedules as far as what other plans/trips we may have. I tell my family if they book parties or get together last minute, our attending depends on whether we are traveling. I suggest they plan further ahead if they want us—LOL! 

• Like 1

I booked a cruise for next October on the Radiance out of Norfolk, mostly because it was out of Norfolk.  Not crazy about the port stops, but it will add another Carnival ship to those I have been on.  Never sailed on the Victory.  But I know all about the researching and looking up stuff.  Really trying to look up more on the Horizon, but at least I have 3 cruises within the next 12 months.  

15 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

If you book your cruise 500 days out you know what you'll be doing 😀. I just plan around it. Makes it easier for me with vaction time and finances, etc.

Sometimes I wish I could be less of a planner and more spontaneous. I envy you in that respect. I like the idea of dropping what I'm doing and just going where the wind blows. But there is a part of my brain that takes over and stresses about the details. 😖

But, if all of us were the same, life would be pretty boring.

• Like 1

People think I'm crazy when I book a year out. When I return from one vacation, I book the next! It gives me something to look forward to during our long Vermont winters.  We're just down the road from you!  My goal is to book Boston to Montreal to cruise the Canadian maritimes.   I'd love to not have to fly to ports. Maybe once I retire.......

49 minutes ago, LPYRCRUISER said:

People think I'm crazy when I book a year out. When I return from one vacation, I book the next! It gives me something to look forward to during our long Vermont winters.  We're just down the road from you!  My goal is to book Boston to Montreal to cruise the Canadian maritimes.   I'd love to not have to fly to ports. Maybe once I retire.......

We've found that flying out of Montreal can save us money, even if we are flying to Florida. Of course we're almost equidistant between Burlington and Montreal.