Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

Ancient Mediterranean Isles – Chairman's Voyage
May 21- May 28, 2022
Rome to Barcelona

You will begin in Rome on May 21, 2022 and, over eight days, will sail to Barcelona, arriving on May 28. You will traverse the Mediterranean Sea, a region rich in history and culture. Admire Palermo's opulent Royal Palace, a UNESCO site, and the remnants of Roman rule in Syracuse and Cagliari. Experience the cultural treasures of Valletta and explore the white-washed villages of Menorca.

Itinerary: 8 Days – Rome to Barcelona

Viking Cruises

DAY

DESTINATION

DESCRIPTION

Day 1
May 21

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Embark your ship and settle into your stateroom.

Day 2
May 22

Sicily (Palermo), Italy

See Palermo's UNESCO World Heritage Sites, from the Royal Palace of Palermo to the cathedral.

Day 3
May 23

Sicily (Syracuse), Italy

Explore the ruins at the Archaeological Park of Neapolis, or the ancient streets of Ortigia.

Day 4
May 24

Valletta, Malta

Built by the Knights of Malta, Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Day 5
May 25

Sail the Mediterranean Sea

Follow in the wake of legends that were born on the waters of the Mediterranean Sea.

Day 6
May 26

Sardinia (Cagliari), Italy

Travel Sardinia's expansive farmland lined with vineyards and olive groves.

Day 7
May 27

Menorca (Mahón), Spain

Explore the influence of British occupation in Mahón; sample a glass of locally produced gin.

Day 8
May 28

Barcelona, Spain

Disembark the Viking Mars. Consider extending your stay and visit Barcelona's cultural gems and explore the narrow streets of the Gothic Quarter.

As part of your reservation on this special voyage, we are pleased to offer you the following, with our compliments:

• Stateroom
  • Included Shore Excursions, as with all Viking sailings
  • Economy Airfare
  • Transfers
  • Pre-paid gratuities
  • And, in appreciation of your patience, we are adding a Silver Spirits Beverage Package for this voyage.

RSVP and Booking Instructions
To simplify the booking process, we have held your original stateroom assignment and will arrange your air based on your most recent Guest Information Form. Your new booking number is located at the top of this message.

Yes...very nice but most disappointing that it's this year and not next. I already have a (rebooked) cruise for May that falls during the Invitational, so that would have to be moved (again). The itinerary does not thrill me near as much as what was offered on the Venus. Then, the other thing is I have little interest in flying to Europe for only 8 days and surely won't fly long haul anymore economy class. So I looked at what could be butterflied with this cruise, and the only thing possible (since it appears there is nothing before the 21st on the Mars) is to do the 15-day "Trade Routes of the Middle Ages" which begins in Barcelona on 5/28 and ends in Bergen on June 11. That makes it a very nice trip and offers the chance to visit Normandy since the cruise calls at Le Havre. You can see the Mars schedule by scrolling down on this page:  https://www.globaljourneys.com/ship/viking-cruises-viking-mars  

All the above said, the timeframe is not to my liking especially ending in mid-June. This is not the best time to be away from my house and property for several reasons. Then, of course, there is the issue of the conflict with my already booked cruise. I will mull this over but suspect I will not be going. I was really hoping they would do something next year. The November '20 letter indicated that, once rescheduled, plenty of advance notice will be given to book whatever they come up with. Now, however, it's only 3 months notice. 

Fantastic that they remembered us, but I'm thinking this particularly trip will sail without me. 😟

Edited by OnTheJourney

15 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

May 21- May 28, 2022
Rome to Barcelona

Yep...unfortunately doesn't work well for me at all. Additionally, not sure I'm ready for something this extensive yet, i.e. international travel / flights, etc. given the continuing uncertainties of the covid situation. As stands now, I have no flying planned till October and am quite comfortable with that. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

7 minutes ago, TexasTraveler54 said:

Lucky for me - this fits between March and July cruises and stops in ports I have never visited.  Not happy about no business flight option, but plan to go anyway.

Have you already called Viking Air?  Are they not offering Business Class upgrade? If so, that would be a bummer. I am so excited about this.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ptkelley said:

Has anyone been able to see the Invitational Cruise on MVJ?  

I looked. Nothing there. Get this one....a document that my TA just sent me indicates I owe Viking $6,880 by 2/20 for this cruise. Really???  Why would business class air not be an available upgrade? I think providing so little advance notice is poor. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

21 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Hope to see many of you there!

Have fun. Unfortunately I think I'll pass on this. Biggest thing I have to straighten out is the nearly $9k bill I'm supposed to pay for this. Has to be a mistake. Going to Rome with Viking in January, so I think I can easily wait till then. Hopefully the covid situation will be significantly lessened by then with less worry about possible quarantine, etc. Hate to pass this up but I'm not inspired for several reasons. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 minute ago, JDincalif said:

We certainly will!🥂

LOL!  I'm just not into flying all that way for only a week. The only way I'd do this is to tack the "Trade Routes" cruise on the end of it and add another 15 days. Plus, if upgrading to B-class is not an option, then I really have no interest. Promised myself a few years ago I'll never fly long haul again in economy. 

42 minutes ago, ptkelley said:

Has anyone been able to see the Invitational Cruise on MVJ?  I cannot.  Perhaps operator error. thx. 

The Viking rep we spoke with said that details of this voyage would be locked for 24 hours, so perhaps we'll see details tomorrow.

Well done Viking!!!  Our Inaugural cruise is from May 21 to May 28.    It is from Rome to Barcelona aboard the Viking Mars, with a very nice itinerary.  Thank you Chairman Hagen for you and your organization for honoring your commitment.  We look forward to it, and hopefully if your schedule permits will look forward to seeing you onboard.     JohnE B

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I need to see more details and find out what could be done with our conflicting cruise (that has already been resheduled twice). 

The Viking agent dedicated to assisting invited guests mentioned in the Chairman's letter was very helpful in providing information and in getting our May cruise rescheduled for the third time! The surprising upside for us is that the rescheduled voyage - same itinerary, different dates- will be less expensive even though we're adding pre- and post-cruise stays and upgraded staterooms. We'll even have leftover cruise credit from the original Viking Sky vouchers to add some extra adventures on the rescheduled trip. 

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

leftover cruise credit from the original Viking Sky vouchers

Nope...we shot the works with that money - used it to book one of Viking's Mississippi river trips next September. DW and I are still not happy with this short notice - 2 weeks only to decide on it?? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Yeah, true enough. That's why I feel all tied up trying to decide it. Spring is a very busy time for me with home, property maintenance, pool, etc. so lots of different factors are involved with planning for a trip during the time this thing is scheduled. Typically we try to avoid travel as summer weather approaches, and none during the summer months. (That time is reserved for swimming!!!) The other thing I grapple with is all that flying time and hassle for the sake of 8 days unless extending it. I could add the Trade Routes cruise to make it a butterfly (in Viking's parlance) but that makes it 23 days total and not getting home till June 11 - not particularly liking that either. 

Edited by OnTheJourney