Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

John, was this idea actually suggested by Viking? If so, I don't recall seeing it. I presume the most recent communication was the letter by Mr. Hagen back in March.  

The idea of a river trip is also a good one but, as you say, it wouldn't accommodate  the potential number of Sky passengers. I guess a good first step would be to ascertain - as best as possible - the level of interest, since it may have waned from what it might have been previously. As Viking's schedule continues to expand now that cruises are resuming, I'd think that planning for a revised invitational trip doesn't become any easier with all the other complexities that have to be dealt with. 

I had read somewhere that Viking was launching a new ship in 2023, so I thought it might be an opportunity then. To my knowledge Viking has not communicated anything else other than Mr. Hagen’s letter in March.  I am sure with the travel demands picking back up now that it will be a difficult task to accommodate anything, hence that is why I thought about the new ship sailing. Let’s hope they let us know what the plans are soon.   Johneb2 

19 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

Let’s hope they let us know what the plans are soon.

I agree. I'm one that enjoys spontaneity during a trip, but prior to any more extensive journey at least, I like to research and plan well in advance. Next year is filling up quickly with either ideas for trips or else ones already rescheduled from previously canceled. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

I agree. I'm one that enjoys spontaneity during a trip, but prior to any more extensive journey at least, I like to research and plan well in advance. Next year is filling up quickly with either ideas for trips or else ones already rescheduled from previously canceled. 

I hear you OTJ !    I can't imagine what you went through and have enjoyed all your thoughts and comments on CruiseCritic.  Love that you still have a bit of a sense of humor as well.

Here's hoping that some day you will venture out there again - hopefully on some new Viking Ship initiation cruise (maybe Neptune?  maybe Mars?).

Definitely keep us posted and don't be a stranger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

don't be a stranger.

Hi CC,

At 4100+ posts, I guess I'm around fairly often (some might say TOO often...lol)  We did cruise once after the Viking Sky incident - Canada / New England on the Summit out of Cape Liberty. It was October '19 and so sort of a 'test' to see how we'd feel about being back out there. Actually went fine although the ship did encounter two storm systems 😳 so we could have lived without that. Thankfully the captain revised the itinerary to avoid nearly all of the potential bad sea conditions.

For Viking, so far we have the 'Classical Antiquities' cruise booked on the Sky in '23. Really looking forward to getting back on her, and then the "America's Great River" the same year on the Viking Mississippi. That itinerary sounds great too.

Thanks for your kind words!! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 5/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Hi CC,

At 4100+ posts, I guess I'm around fairly often (some might say TOO often...lol)  We did cruise once after the Viking Sky incident - Canada / New England on the Summit out of Cape Liberty. It was October '19 and so sort of a 'test' to see how we'd feel about being back out there. Actually went fine although the ship did encounter two storm systems 😳 so we could have lived without that. Thankfully the captain revised the itinerary to avoid nearly all of the potential bad sea conditions.

For Viking, so far we have the 'Classical Antiquities' cruise booked on the Sky in '23. Really looking forward to getting back on her, and then the "America's Great River" the same year on the Viking Mississippi. That itinerary sounds great too.

Thanks for your kind words!! 

We have booked the Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land aboard the Sky in January 2022.  We are in the stateroom next to where we were on our incident trip.  It might be interesting to see my wife's reactions if we encounter any storms on that cruise, considering her fears she endured on the NL  trip.   We do have a river cruise scheduled for September (Porto - Portugal), which will be our first cruise since our memorable trip.  I don't foresee any rough water on that cruise 🙂      JohnEB

• Like 1

I'll be interested to get your review of Antiquities. That looks like a great itinerary. We've never been anywhere in that area. Thought about booking the same room we had for NL but then decided to try a PV2 room (5035), so still close to where our other room was. Haven't done a river cruise with Viking yet, but would like to at some point. Never been to Portugal either. Wishing you - and all of us - smooth sailing on future travels!  

2 hours ago, johneb2 said:

We have booked the Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land aboard the Sky in January 2022.  We are in the stateroom next to where we were on our incident trip.  It might be interesting to see my wife's reactions if we encounter any storms on that cruise, considering her fears she endured on the NL  trip.   We do have a river cruise scheduled for September (Porto - Portugal), which will be our first cruise since our memorable trip.  I don't foresee any rough water on that cruise 🙂      JohnEB

We’re on that January cruise, too! No stateroom assignment yet, though, since we just squeaked in before it was completely sold out. Funnily enough, our one other Viking cruise was also on the Sky, although not on the infamous voyage you were on.

5 hours ago, johneb2 said:

We did this a few years ago, one of our best ever trips, enjoy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hi Haworth...I recall you saying this previously. Wish it was sooner rather than 2 years off yet. 

We have nothing other than a golf trip in May 2022 booked, we are the Club and Lady Captain of our golf club in 2022, delayed 12 months by Covid, we do have a Viking booked for Jan 2023, fingers crossed for that one

Yes...I seem to recall you mentioning about the golf club. That's something I never really got into. Went a few times with my Dad and older brother a LONG time ago. We were all so good (ahem...) that we had to let other people play through!  Haven't done it since, except for mini golf!!  

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2021 at 1:47 PM, Twitchly said:

We’re on that January cruise, too! No stateroom assignment yet, though, since we just squeaked in before it was completely sold out. Funnily enough, our one other Viking cruise was also on the Sky, although not on the infamous voyage you were on.

We are in stateroom 5048.  Let us know when you get a stateroom assigned.   JohnEB

32 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

We are in stateroom 5048.  Let us know when you get a stateroom assigned.   JohnEB

Will do. Hopefully they’ll have the CruiseCritic meet-and-greet back up and running by then. 

On 5/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Today, I sent an email to Chairman Hagen in reference to the Viking Sky Survivors cruise.  True to form, and their high standards, I received a phone call back explaining the details for the delays, and highlighting the fact that Mr. Hagen is very sensitive to our wishes for this cruise to come off, and how he wants it to be of high standards with no chance of cancellation.  I was on the phone with his office for almost 20 minutes and was impressed the way they are treating this situation.  It was explained to me a lot is going on in the background to make this come off.  The challenges of Covid-19 have made it extremely difficult as many ports and excursions are still not available and are not sure when that will happen.  In addition Viking is committed to our safety from Covid-19.  I was also told that the Viking Sky "Survivors" would be the first to know about it with notifications sent to them, and their travel agents exclusively.  Right now Viking Agents do not have any insight information on this cruise since it is being formulated at the "highest" level.  All in all, I felt satisfied and left with the impression that we will be hearing more on this as the cruising opens up again.  Thank you Viking, and Chairman Hagen for your generosity, and professionalism in handling this.   JohnEB

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this John. Things are most definitely not opening up as fast as any of us would wish but it is of course for the best in this uncertain time. I read today that a UK cruise has been denied a Scottish port stop that had been previously agreed. All is still very fluid and subject to change and not just here in the UK.

The UK Viking office is excellent, I've always dealt with them directly and they ALWAYS respond promptly, efficiently and with accurate answers!

We very much look forward to this cruise. It will be a great opportunity for us to reestablish contact with those who we were so abruptly torn from. I do agree with previous posters though; I feel sure all of us have busy schedules and trips planned and we really do need as much notice as possible. We have our third attempt at a Baltic Cruise booked for May 2022 and I am really hoping that the Chairman's cruise won't coincide with that.

Thanks for posting John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 6:30 PM, johneb2 said:

I felt satisfied and left with the impression that we will be hearing more on this as the cruising opens up again. 

Sounds encouraging. See what they come up with. Depending on when and where, if it conflicts with a trip we already have rebooked / rescheduled, it could be a tough decision depending on cancellation penalties, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, JDincalif said:

The author has also posted a Spotify playlist to accompany the book -

That's cool. Wonder if he is here anywhere on the CC threads?  May have seen him several times in and around the ship during the cruise. 

Edited by OnTheJourney