Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

8 hours ago, map70065 said:

I can always spend more time in Barcelona and not get tired of it.  Unfortunately for this trip that's not going to happen.

Never been...that's why I was looking forward to the original Chairman's cruise itinerary, being that we had booked the Iberian Explorer as a B2B and so would have had some time in Barcelona, plus 4 days pre-cruise in Rome on our own (never been there either). That whole itinerary looked awesome. I'm less enthused about this one and so still have no idea what to do yet. 

14 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Our TA forwarded this summary of pre- and post-cruise options received from Viking.

JD....just talked to Viking by calling the dedicated number. Most interesting that once the Umbria extension is filled, that's it. Currently 15 rooms still available. As I mentioned in a different thread, seems unfair that not everyone has even gotten all the info yet. Best course of action, I believe, is to accept the invitation if for no other reason than to buy time. The sailing is under risk-free, so no problem canceling prior to 14 days before. No tripmate insurance offered of course cause there's no dollar value to insure. I'm told that any additional expenditures on our part would become part of risk-free future credit (?)  

So here's the Umbria facility they are using.. https://castellomonterone.com   Are you telling me that an 18-room hotel is the ONLY thing that Viking will be using for potentially 930 people that might be accepting? Most people won't  have the chance to do the (only) pre extension offered. Something doesn't seem right about that. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

🙂

Our responses passed each other in cyberspace, so I'm editing this one because most of it became irrelevant.

Congratulations to your family on your daughter's achievement.

Edited by JDincalif

JD....LOL!!!  Crossing in cyberspace for sure. Tried to reply with a quote but didn't work. Now I'm even more confused since the agent at V.. just told me that the (pre) Umbria and (post) Barcelona are the ONLY ones available. I assumed this was true because you have them highlighted. Most confusing for sure. Also interesting - the hotel they're using in BAR has over 200 rooms, and yet Viking must have blocked out only @ 70 of them. So then, from what you're indicating, probably the Rome extension is available also (?)  This is nuts. Either way, they somehow have to be able to accommodate potentially hundreds of people who will likely want extensions given the short length of the cruise. I'm betting they are scrambling trying to find what might be available and maybe waiting to see how many pax start to accept the invitiation, THEN might go looking for additional venues to host extensions. Just my speculation however. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

So...did you select the ones highlighted?

We've booked the Madrid post-cruise extension. We considered the pre-cruise options, but since we really want to savor the Mars we decided to travel directly to the ship, hoping to (probably minimally, but still) limit Covid exposure opportunities prior to embarkation.

6 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

(probably minimally, but still) limit Covid exposure opportunities prior to embarkation.

This is a valid point. We're doing the same relative to our cruise next month. Had planned several nights pre-cruise at Baltimore Inner Harbor, but then not only due to possible increased covid exposure but also having to get a covid test 2 days before the cruise, I'll cancel the hotel. Speaking of which, how does that pre-cruise testing work with Viking? That could influence our decision as well. Haven't researched Viking's pre-cruise testing procedure. Do you know? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/covid-19-testing.html

So sounds like the pre-cruise covid test is done prior to your outbound flight. So then, in the meantime - before embarkation - it's possible to wind up positive. As such, once you embark and have the PCR test done, IF again positive, you could be removed from the ship and not get to cruise at all. Do I have that sequence right? Whoa......  Is there no other test required between pre-cruise prior to flight and then the PCR onboard?  

3 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

No point in mastering it now and having to unlearn it later.

True enough, but at least the way it's done currently - being all we have to go on - has to at least be taken into some consideration as to planning and, in my case, making the yea or nay decision. It can drive you crazy thinking about all the 'what ifs'. 

14 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Our TA forwarded this summary of pre- and post-cruise options received from Viking. Though no descriptions accompanied this, it's easy to get details simply by searching on "Rome" or "Barcelona" on the Viking site, where links to these option descriptions are available. We did so and were able to confirm our post-cruise selection through our TA today.

extension.thumb.PNG.8cde68cea4e5adef2f450a52ad610ffe.PNG

I think I saw a question relating to the codes under the Port Column.   FLR, PEG, BCN, and MAD are airport codes whilst CVV refers to the Port of Civitavecchia.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

FLR, PEG, BCN, and MAD are airport codes

Ahh...ok. Makes sense. Well, see how it plays out. I think we'll probably accept to buy some extra time to consider it. Nothng ventured nothing gained (or lost if then canceling).

Viking will need to come up with more than just one 18-room hotel to accommodate those who want to go to Umbria since I'm suspecting it could be attractive to many. 930 people are being told in the invitation that pre and post extensions WILL be available. Gosh, now that I've flapped about all this, the rooms at the castle are probably already filled 🤔

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, JDincalif said:

Our TA forwarded this summary of pre- and post-cruise options received from Viking.

The extensions just appeared tonight on MVJ. The Tuscany is sold out (not surprising since the chart you shared indicated only 1 room left). I still don't understand this and the agent I spoke to today was not able to explain much about the process. Using small hotels such as is apparently the case, probably all extensions will be gone in a matter of weeks, if not days. 

In any event, I wanted to ask how you managed to get the info that shows the number of rooms left. You probably don't know since you said you got it from your agent. The first Viking agent I spoke with today gave me incorrect info, saying that only 2 extensions (total) are available. I did find the following on the Viking website when looking up Umbria:  Accommodations are subject to change depending on availability; if advertised hotel is not available, a similar hotel will be confirmed.

So I have to wonder if they add extra accommodations as needed?  

Edited by OnTheJourney

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I wanted to ask how you managed to get the info that shows the number of rooms left

Our TA, at our request, got extension information from Viking, and that little table was all she received  We were hoping for more detailed descriptions, of course! - but this allowed us to find sufficient details on MVJ. It was interesting to see that 'seats are limited' isn't always just an advertising ploy!

17 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

It was interesting to see that 'seats are limited' isn't always just an advertising ploy!

Yeah, seriously!  Most interesting will be if they open up additional accommodations for some of those extensions that utilize these small boutique hotels. I just talked to them again about a different issue but again asked about the extensions. Already someone must have booked the Tuscany pre-extension and already canceled, so now there is 1 room available. No point really keeping track of any of this of course since it can change by the minute. Umbria is still available so maybe we'll grab that - nothing lost if we wind up not going since any monies for extensions, air upgrade, etc. will be issued as credit. Speaking of air, they said that there is also a premium economy level available - I didn't know that, having upgraded to business for the previous Chairman's cruise offering. She indicated, though, that with time being short it limits the air options somewhat. I don't usually wait till 3 months before a trip to book air - especially international. Air prices are forecasted to go way up - probably already are as covid situation starts to (hopefully) continue to be relaxed. I saw that RCL just relaxed their masking policies. Other lines will surely follow. 

We are now booked on the Rome to Barca trip and exploring the B2B from Barca to Bergan. This overlaps with our Crystal Endeavor cruise due to depart on 25 May, but we don't expect that one to go. Hedging our bets. Really look forward to catching up with fellow "survivors".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittycrews said:

We are now booked on the Rome to Barca trip and exploring the B2B from Barca to Bergan. This overlaps with our Crystal Endeavor cruise due to depart on 25 May, but we don't expect that one to go. Hedging our bets. Really look forward to catching up with fellow "survivors".

Pleased to read this Kitty, think we're all very excited. JD started a Roll Call here. 

8 hours ago, kittycrews said:

We are now booked on the Rome to Barca trip ... Really look forward to catching up with fellow "survivors".

Pleased to know that you'll be on this voyage. During the Sky journey we were supposed to join you and another couple for a tour of the Saltstraumen in Bodo (and we all remember how that turned out 😉). Hoping that everyone's plans for this trip go off without a hitch. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haworth said:

We have some severe storms currently in the UK and Europe,

WOW!!  That video is terrifying. I just looked up some info - sounds like (at least) two extremely strong storm systems. 5 people dead. Much damage, disruption to travel by rail, etc.

Global warming / climate change. I know this is a controversial issue, but I'm a firm believer. We'll only see more violent and aberrant weather patterns unfortunately.  I was tempted to "like" your post but somehow just seems sort of inapprorpriate. Can't imagine being seated right in the front of that ferry seeing that huge wave approach. Like a scene out of the movie "Poseidon", only for real. 

Edited by OnTheJourney