Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Given the positive slant that is present here with (thus far) all regular participants jumping at the chance to go, I don't think I should put my two cents in this thread any further. It has run its course. I guess I must not be very easy to please as was pointed out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Perhaps you made too much noise and forced a rushed decision?

That thought occurred to me also. What I need to find out is whether or not there is any flexibility with the RSVP. I really feel the need to cruise at least once (haven't at all since the pandemic started) prior to making this decision. We have a cruise booked for mid-March and then the one that conflicts with this one. I still have alot of leery feelings about getting back out there. However, I'm suspecting that 2/21 is the deadline. Worth calling and asking. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Might I suggest OTJ, that you go back to the beginning of this thread when the first Chairman's cruise was announced. You posted extensively then too, airing your many concerns. Perhaps if you reread those posts you might remember why you decided to go and you won't then feel the need to repeat it all again here. It might be the deciding factor you need.

Good luck with that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

You posted extensively then too, airing your many concerns. Perhaps if you reread those posts you might remember why you decided to go and you won't then feel the need to repeat it all again here. It might be the deciding factor you need.

Good luck with that!

LOL. I"m sure the "good luck" part references the MANY pages I'd need to go back through. So much has happened to all of us the past two years, I didn't even fully recall if I started that thread or not. I'm actually far more 'vocal' online than I am in person. Thanks for the suggestion though. Much appreciated. I'll look for what JD set up also. 

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

you might remember why you decided to go

I do...it was solely because of being able to "butterfly" the Iberian Explorer cruise at the end of the proposed invitational. Otherwise, I would not have planned to go. There was some uncertainty as to whether or not pre or post extensions were to have been offered the first time around. The agent I routinely kept in contact with at Viking seemed to think not, but then of course it never progressed to that point. So now, I'm wondering again. The email from Viking did say pre and post extensions will be available. Anxious to see all the details before I can arrive at a decision. 

A quick look at the (sort of) 'roll call' I created shows that we had a full year's notice. Most ironically I just trashed the original letter from Viking a few days ago, so not sure anymore how long we had to let them know. I seem to recall it might have been March (?) 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

go back to the beginning of this thread when the first Chairman's cruise was announced.

Just read through it all. The intial excitement was of course severely tempered by the presence of covid. Then, of course, came the cancellation and I came across some of my entries that indicated a waning enthusiasm as we move farther away from the event. I still admittedly feel this (having, for example, never gone back to any High School or college reunions) and so there is a type of inner struggle as to wanting to get excited about this and yet being content to just forego it.

I'm still a bit stuck on this...quoted from Mr. Hagen along the way:  "We are working on options for an alternative, and equally special, voyage that will be confirmed when we are confident that we can travel with all our guests, regardless of their home country. Of course, when we do, we will provide you ample time to make arrangements and support you in your planning."  This is what I feel is lacking in how it was finally presented. Everyone of my cruising friends and relation that I've mentioned this situation to agrees that it was indeed VERY short notice. Two weeks to say yea or nay is not, in my book, "ample time". Initially, upon reading the recent email I at first assumed the "2022" had to be a misprint. 

BTW...still nothing on mvj. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

23 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Most ironically I just trashed the original letter from Viking a few days ago, so not sure anymore how long we had to let them know. I seem to recall it might have been March (?) 

You're correct - we did receive notice about a full year before the Venus inaugural cruise.

Screenshot_20220208-101856.thumb.png.582a149198935893cd39d0f0a9d6e99b.png

2 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

You're correct - we did receive notice about a full year before the Venus inaugural cruise.

Yes, thanks JD. This is the document I just trashed the other day. Deliberated on keeping but then figured why bother. I like that itinerary better than this one. 

We have accepted the offer, had to juggle a few things but we are in. I am the first to accept that living in the UK it’s much easier to accept a one week cruise, had it been a Caribbean cruise for example I doubt we would have gone.

Hope to catch up with some friendly faces from the theatre in May

• Like 1

Just went on to MVJ - silly of me to have forgotten that you have to enter a new booking number. Otherwise, nothing will happen. So once I did that (and surely many of you probably already discovered this), there was very little additional info. No excursion / extension / flight info available yet. It said air info will be available on 2/20. No date on shore excursions, and for extensions all it said is that there currently are none. A tad disappointing to not have more on it. Planning to call the 'dedicated team' assigned to this and have a list of questions for them. 

23 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yes...very nice but most disappointing that it's this year and not next. I already have a (rebooked) cruise for May that falls during the Invitational, so that would have to be moved (again). The itinerary does not thrill me near as much as what was offered on the Venus. Then, the other thing is I have little interest in flying to Europe for only 8 days and surely won't fly long haul anymore economy class. So I looked at what could be butterflied with this cruise, and the only thing possible (since it appears there is nothing before the 21st on the Mars) is to do the 15-day "Trade Routes of the Middle Ages" which begins in Barcelona on 5/28 and ends in Bergen on June 11. That makes it a very nice trip and offers the chance to visit Normandy since the cruise calls at Le Havre. You can see the Mars schedule by scrolling down on this page:  https://www.globaljourneys.com/ship/viking-cruises-viking-mars  

All the above said, the timeframe is not to my liking especially ending in mid-June. This is not the best time to be away from my house and property for several reasons. Then, of course, there is the issue of the conflict with my already booked cruise. I will mull this over but suspect I will not be going. I was really hoping they would do something next year. The November '20 letter indicated that, once rescheduled, plenty of advance notice will be given to book whatever they come up with. Now, however, it's only 3 months notice. 

Fantastic that they remembered us, but I'm thinking this particularly trip will sail without me. 😟

If you don't mind spending a week in Barcelona (who wouldn't since it is such a great international city).  You can cruise on Viking to Istanbul, or to Athens, or to Venice, or even back to Rome going a different route than the Chairman's Cruise from Rome to Barcelona.   All these cruises depart from Bacelona on June 4th.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Haworth said:

I am the first to accept that living in the UK it’s much easier to accept a one week cruise, had it been a Caribbean cruise for example I doubt we would have gone.

Exactly. We're in the same position only reversed. This is why I'm loath to fly over there for 8 days. I've never done a European trip for much less than 2 weeks. Can't decide till I see the extension options. I think this is going to come down to booking it (so as not to lose it) and then very possibly canceling. Can't imagine any sort of penalties for doing so unless they'd attach a dollar value to it with some sort of surrender charge. No FCC like a regular cruise, so probably can just bag out up until 48 hours before (?)  Anybody know? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Duke...thanks. Considering options. We have Cities of Antiquities booked for January with extensions on both ends, so will have a good amount of time in Rome, plus the Greece extension. Unless we go on this trip, "Cities" will be our first visit to the Meddy. Definitely won't do the invitational if no extension available for Barcelona at the end OR if we'd book the Trade Routes as a B2B, then there is at least a little time for Barcelona before the ship sails.

I have a sneaking suspicion we might wind up keeping our Bermuda sailing that overlaps with this one. Alot closer to home if something were to go wrong in the way of a positive covid test or whatever. Plus no flying needed. Hopefully no bomb cyclones again.....

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Definitely won't do the invitational if no extension available for Barcelona at the end

OTJ,

I know I’m rather late to this discussion, but I’d encourage you to consider doing an extension on your own if Viking doesn’t offer one.  Barcelona is truly an amazing, unique place to visit and very easy to maneuver, on foot or via their subway or taxi.  If an such an extension on your own is too daunting, then I think it would be fairly easy to book a local tour company to arrange entry tickets and take you around for a few days from a hotel of your choice.

You won’t regret deciding to go on this trip!

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

Thanks Mark...definitely looking into all aspects of this, as well as what is involved in rebooking the cruise that conflicts with this, if indeed that is the way I decide to go. My TA, while very nice, does not always get back to me right away, and time is of the essence here to decide. They said they'd offer extensions, so awaiting that info. 

6 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Interesting that there was no date on the RSVP, but then I suppose there really wasn't any dire need to have a quick response since the cruise was a year out from the invitation. 

A possible explanation for the short notice is the potential for post-COVID shipyard delays. Before COVID, most ships easily met , or exceeded delivery times, but COVID has resulted in some delays.

Viking may only recently have received confirmation from the S/Y regarding the delivery date.

In addition, the Star's World Cruise and Orion have kept the scheduling department rather busy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking may only recently have received confirmation from the S/Y regarding the delivery date.

Andy...as usual I have no doubt you're correct. I'm vacillating by the minute on this thing. Some of the tales mentioned on threads referring to people testing positive then having to leave the ship, etc. are most unsettling. Perhaps time to just 'fall back and punt...and live to play another day' on the international stage. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

They said they'd offer extensions, so awaiting that info. 

Our TA forwarded this summary of pre- and post-cruise options received from Viking. Though no descriptions accompanied this, it's easy to get details simply by searching on "Rome" or "Barcelona" on the Viking site, where links to these option descriptions are available. We did so and were able to confirm our post-cruise selection through our TA today.

extension.thumb.PNG.8cde68cea4e5adef2f450a52ad610ffe.PNG

Edited by JDincalif

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy...as usual I have no doubt you're correct. I'm vacillating by the minute on this thing. Some of the tales mentioned on threads referring to people testing positive then having to leave the ship, etc. are most unsettling. Perhaps time to just 'fall back and punt...and live to play another day' on the international stage. 

Hopefully another thought to assist in your decision making.

Although nobody is paying for the cruise, you are technically still considered as passengers, but I would prefer to describe it as a cruise aboard the Chairman's private yacht.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

OTJ,

I know I’m rather late to this discussion, but I’d encourage you to consider doing an extension on your own if Viking doesn’t offer one.  Barcelona is truly an amazing, unique place to visit and very easy to maneuver, on foot or via their subway or taxi.  If an such an extension on your own is too daunting, then I think it would be fairly easy to book a local tour company to arrange entry tickets and take you around for a few days from a hotel of your choice.

Jerry

I agree - I can always spend more time in Barcelona and not get tired of it.  Unfortunately for this trip that's not going to happen.  I'll have to return home either the day we land or the next day.

12 hours ago, JDincalif said:

We did so and were able to confirm our post-cruise selection through our TA today.

JD...thanks. I'm admittedly confused, however, in that only the one pre-extension refers to CVV port which is, of course, where the cruise departs from. The other pre-extensions refer to FLR and PEG. Are those pertinent to this cruise?  Similar question relative to post. Only one seemingly refers to availability at the Barcelona port. Can you clarify? No big deal...plenty of time on this yet...but thus far there is nothing showing up on MVJ. Checked again last night. What's REALLY interesting is that my TA got an email indicating that flight info was already available on MVJ and yet when I go on and click on 'air' info, it says nothing will be declared till (I think) 2/19. So this is all a tad confusing. I'm thinking that my best option is to book this, and then (at least I foresee) can easily cancel free of any sort of penalties. That buys time. As of yet, I have no idea what to do with US coastal cruise that overlaps with this. It's going to take some time to sort it all out. By at least accepting the invitation I have that extra time to play with and ultimately make the necessary decisions. At least that's the direction I'm leaning towards from where I sit at the moment! 

So...did you select the ones highlighted? If so, then I'm still confused as to the PEG port associatd with the "Ultimate Italy" ext.  HOPEFULLY more info wil be forthcoming fairly soon.

This'd be an easier decision (I think?) if I didn't have a conflicting cruise. There are other issues too. We've got to allow a few days in the schedule in May for our daughter's doctoral degree graduation ceremony 🙂  The conflicting cruise dates are very close to the graduation (6 hours away from us), so an advantage of the Viking offering is that the timeframe actually works better relative to the graduation. Geez......too much to think about. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I would prefer to describe it as a cruise aboard the Chairman's private yacht.

Well,  yeah, that does put a rather profound spin on it now. True enough! You're pushing pretty hard here, my friend.... (just kidding of course!)  

In all seriousness, you have conveyed some very encouraging viewpoints that are indeed most appreciated, and please know that I'm not taking this invitation lightly! I believe supporting evidence of such is how I've speckled my "musings" (DGHOC's apt description) all over CC ever since the original idea was presented LOL 😉 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1