Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

1 minute ago, cruisinchrissy said:

No pleasing some folks.

Somehow that doesn't seem quite fair. I don't think any of us would have expected to get an invitation for a cruise that sails in only 3 months out and only 2 weeks to decide on it. This is not what I consider being promised "plenty of time" to plan in advance. 

1 hour ago, johneb2 said:

Well done Viking!!!  Our Inaugural cruise is from May 21 to May 28.    It is from Rome to Barcelona aboard the Viking Mars, with a very nice itinerary.  Thank you Chairman Hagen for you and your organization for honoring your commitment.  We look forward to it, and hopefully if your schedule permits will look forward to seeing you onboard.     JohnE B

We haven’t had an invitation yet.

Hope we haven’t been missed. 😥

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

Somehow that doesn't seem quite fair. I don't think any of us would have expected to get an invitation for a cruise that sails in only 3 months out and only 2 weeks to decide on it. This is not what I consider being promised "plenty of time" to plan in advance. 

Well you wanted at date and now you’ve got one. I’m sure lots of people have alternative plans, myself included. Only you can decide what to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Only you can decide what to do.

Very true. A bit more convenient for folks like yourself that live in the UK or at least closer to the Mediterranean. This'd be a MUCH easier decision (for me anyway) in a non-covid world. Assuming Viking is extending their no-risk guarantee on this? My TA is going to check with them to find out what happens if we book and then cancel. Assumedly nothing.

I still like the previous offering better than this, not only in terms of the itinerary but also the way it worked out to tack on the Iberian Explorer right after the scheduled Venus sailing. There is basically nothing that works to add to this other than Trade Routes, which DOES make for a very nice trip coupled with this one. This itinerary alone, though....let's just say that if I saw it in a brochure or website I'd glance at it but wouldn't be real attracted to it. Definitely agree with John however about all appreciation due to Mr. Hagen and Viking for still committing to offering something. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 minute ago, JDincalif said:

We hope to see you and Gerard on the Mars! And we hope that your Millie is doing as well as our Chama 🐾

I hope so🤞Got to swop a family commitment but hope they don’t mind too much.
Millie is doing well and loves going to home boarding so she won’t miss us .😂

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Turns out you were right. 

I really hope you can work things out with the existing cruise and home life, as this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-unite with fellow pax from a traumatic event. While it has been a considerable time since the event, this cruise may also help pax helping pax, with additional healing. I suspect you will also have a reasonable number of the crew you know from the Sky.

Yes, it is really short notice, but I would hate to think that you may end up regretting the decision to miss the cruise, once you read the reports of your fellow pax that attend.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Have fun. Unfortunately I think I'll pass on this. Biggest thing I have to straighten out is the nearly $9k bill I'm supposed to pay for this. Has to be a mistake. Going to Rome with Viking in January, so I think I can easily wait till then. Hopefully the covid situation will be significantly lessened by then with less worry about possible quarantine, etc. Hate to pass this up but I'm not inspired for several reasons. 

I'm confused about what the $9,000 is for?

On 3/30/2019 at 7:25 AM, KyOh said:

My husband and I were on the March 2-14 Northern Lights cruise on the Sky.  We've followed the stories of the problems and rescue of the passengers and crew of the next cruise.  Because we were doing this cruise, I began following several other roll calls to get ideas and share information with others, especially since this was the first year for this route.  The way Viking has handled the aftermath is really impressive.  I wanted to start this thread because what passengers are posting on the March 14 roll call makes me love Viking even more.  The reimbursement of passengers has been total and really very prompt.  My hope is that some of you who were on the ship will share the information of the follow-up by Viking with the larger cruise community.

Glad that you are all home now and recovering from your amazing adventure.

Just saw the thread.  We were on the same cruise with you.

53 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I really hope you can work things out with the existing cruise and home life,

Andy, thanks for your kind and thoughtful words. I'm admittedly a bit dismayed over receiving some less than encouraging and amiable comments relative to some of my responses regarding the timing of this cruise. I never meant to offend anyone, and yet have received what I perceive to be some unjust criticism due to my pointing out about the short notice. I looked forward to having sufficient time - as was promised - to think about whatever emerged in the way of a rescheduled invitational cruise, but instead DW and I feel very much under pressure to make a quick decision that is somewhat complicated due to many different circumstances, but I suppose these words as well will meet with some measure of fault-finding. CC can be so nice and helpful, and yet such is not always the case. Given the positive slant that is present here with (thus far) all regular participants jumping at the chance to go, I don't think I should put my two cents in this thread any further. It has run its course. I guess I must not be very easy to please as was pointed out. One thing that is still very uncomfortable for DW and I in the face of this extensive and more complex a  trip is that covid is still very much present. I'm even leery at the thought of doing our upcoming 8-day cruise, and that's simply along the US coast, let alone the prospects of international travel at the present time. As said, I won't be adding anything further to the thread, but please know that I DO appreciate Mr. Hagen and Viking coming up with this plan. I never intended to convey otherwise. 

this cruise may also help pax helping pax, with additional healing.

This is an excellent point. Hopefully we've all 'recovered' in whatever way we each had to deal with the aftermath, but any wound leaves scars, so glad you pointed this out. 

I would hate to think that you may end up regretting the decision to miss the cruise, once you read the reports of your fellow pax that attend.

I know...believe me. This is going to be foremost at least in the back of my mind nearly every moment of every day until I arrive at a decision. Thanks again for being so understanding not to mention encouraging - especially from someone like yourself who wasn't even part of the trip. Most commendable. 

38 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

I'm confused about what the $9,000 is for?

Well, as of now, my TA received an email indicating that we need to pay for this cruise by 2/20.  However, my TA called Viking and they indicated there is no cost for the cruise which, of course, I assumed, but it was still unsettling. She is going to look into what happens if we don't go and/or cancel. I'm assuming "risk free" applies to this sailing. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, thanks for your kind and thoughtful words. I'm admittedly a bit dismayed over receiving some less than encouraging and amiable comments relative to some of my responses regarding the timing of this cruise. I never meant to offend anyone, and yet have received what I perceive to be some unjust criticism due to my pointing out about the short notice. I looked forward to having sufficient time - as was promised - to think about whatever emerged in the way of a rescheduled invitational cruise, but instead DW and I feel very much under pressure to make a quick decision that is somewhat complicated due to many different circumstances, but I suppose these words as well will meet with some measure of fault-finding. CC can be so nice and helpful, and yet such is not always the case. Given the positive slant that is present here with (thus far) all regular participants jumping at the chance to go, I don't think I should put my two cents in this thread any further. It has run its course. I guess I must not be very easy to please as was pointed out. One thing that is still very uncomfortable for DW and I in the face of this extensive and more complex a  trip is that covid is still very much present. I'm even leery at the thought of doing our upcoming 8-day cruise, and that's simply along the US coast, let alone the prospects of international travel at the present time. As said, I won't be adding anything further to the thread, but please know that I DO appreciate Mr. Hagen and Viking coming up with this plan. I never intended to convey otherwise. 

This is an excellent point. Hopefully we've all 'recovered' in whatever way we each had to deal with the aftermath, but any wound leaves scars, so glad you pointed this out. 

I know...believe me. This is going to be foremost at least in the back of my mind nearly every moment of every day until I arrive at a decision. Thanks again for being so understanding not to mention encouraging - especially from someone like yourself who wasn't even part of the trip. Most commendable. 

Well, as of now, my TA received an email indicating that we need to pay for this cruise by 2/20.  However, my TA called Viking and they indicated there is no cost for the cruise which, of course, I assumed, but it was still unsettling. She is going to look into what happens if we don't go and/or cancel. I'm assuming "risk free" applies to this sailing. 

I, like Andy, hope that you manage to be able to go, but I also totally 100% understand your hesitation. We are booked on March 23 Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver, after canceling 3 cruises, and we are still kind of leery. We have been so so so careful and quarantining and so far we've not been sick. We booked this cruise because it's close to the US. Hopefully nothing happens and we can go. On the other hand, I think that our friends and family will think that we are crazy because we skipped a Christmas get together that we deemed too large with a few unvaccinated people, we don't eat inside of restaurants, and do all of our shopping online except groceries. So cruising kind of negates all of our policies. There are a few other reasons for us wanting to go now. So we'll see. But I understand. I, also, would never fly to Europe for 8 days. I think that the least amount of days we've gone there has been 2 weeks. It's a long trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Another couple of points to consider. After an incident, such as you experienced, the pax are also a very tight knit group that have experienced a unique traumatic event. This tends to create a bond, between the participants/survivors.

A classic example that you may want to consider is the group of pax on the aircraft that landed in the Hudson River. The Viking Sky has the potential for similar ongoing relationships between pax. By not going, I'll suggest that you could be giving up an exceptional opportunity to participate in this group, if it forms on board. This is so much more than a free cruise, it really is a unique opportunity for all pax to share their experiences and develop a bond with your fellow survivors.

Having followed the initial incident, provided some technical comments and also followed the ongoing chatter, I really do hope that you decide to go. As a survivor, you deserve to be aboard with your fellow survivors and I have no doubt Viking will do it right.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

So cruising kind of negates all of our policies. There are a few other reasons for us wanting to go now. So we'll see. But I understand. I, also, would never fly to Europe for 8 days. I think that the least amount of days we've gone there has been 2 weeks. It's a long trip.

Absolutely agree. Same here. We've been playing it extremely close to the vest, so to speak. No restaurants (save for a few exceptions when visiting my aunt over the last year).

Definitely won't do this for only 8 nights. That's about the only thing I'm certain of at the moment. The notice from Viking says pre and post-cruise extensions will be offered, which is different than the previous offer. So that might sweeten the pot a bit.  It is a long trip, especially in economy (which I promised myself I'd never do again for any long haul) - that thought doesn't thrill me either (but...ooops...guess I'm being ungrateful again..). Eating in a cruise ship dining room, if we go on our March cruise, will be a heck of a mental paradigm shift. THIS trip, is a few steps up yet in complexity. Except for our few road trips where we did all take-out, we've cooked at home the entire pandemic.

It would have been SO much better, in many ways I'm thinking, if this had been scheduled for next year. I have no doubt other 'survivors' may be thinking the same. Hate to decide to go solely on the premise that I think I should, or else will be missing something really important and of a great opportunity, etc.if I don't. Much of what Andy points out. While some of these latter points (and his) are indeed valid, If we arrive at the place where we feel we should but yet just aren't comfortable with it, then somehow it just doesn't seem like the right decision. Peace of mind is worth something. Every situation has opportunity costs of one sort or another. OK...I think I've more than taken up my share of cyberspace here. Time to just step back and become more of an observer. See how a few others react to this (I feel rather unexpected) yet quite crucial announcement. 

Wish I were of the kind that can make the quick decisions, of a more spontaneous nature, instead of deliberating and dithering. Unfortunately the latter as opposed to the former is more of my nature. So someone telling me that I have two weeks to decide on a European trip that leaves in only 3 months is pretty heavy. 

27 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I really do hope that you decide to go. As a survivor, you deserve to be aboars with your fellow survivors and I have no doubt Viking will do it right.

Once again, such kind and thoughtful words. SO much appreciated. 😉

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

The last cruise that we were on was in 2019-Auckland to Bali. On March 23 (my birthday) I remembered following your saga the best that I could. And now we are booked for our next cruise on March 23. We'll see. It would be really hard to plan to go on a cruise in 3 months in the midst of a pandemic. Especially if you were still working (I was, in 2019, I'm retired now). I can imagine that a few of your fellow passengers may still be working and unable to get time off on such short notice. I used to have to put in at least 6 months in advance. Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a great gesture on Viking's part, for sure. 

6 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

It's a great gesture on Viking's part, for sure. 

It truly is. Thanks for sharing all your views!  

6 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

It would be really hard to plan to go on a cruise in 3 months in the midst of a pandemic.

It is....hence my significant hesitation. 

A bit off topic for a minute (though not really)......

Copying this post in from a thread about quarantining with Viking...."It never crossed my mind that a Covid positive person would need to leave the ship and quarantine in whatever foreign country port was next.  I can only imagine what new levels of anxiety that must conjure."  

If I think about this too much I'll quickly talk myself out of ANY possible chance of going on this trip. Is Viking still doing this? You don't get to stay on the ship if testing positive (being that I presume Viking is still testing pax daily?)  I'd be TOTALLY bummed to be taken off the ship. At that point I'll be wishing I was home. What happens to those folks? Do they ever wind up back on the ship or is their cruise kaput?  

Geez...I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to muster up the courage to do this trip. At least I wish I could get at least one cruise under my belt (like the upcoming March) prior to having to make this decision. RSVP by 2/21 is really tough...for me anyway. I'm thinking the best course of action might be to book it and then perhaps cancel - have to find out exactly what is involved. I want to see all the 'fine print', and also the economy flights they scheduled.

Edited by OnTheJourney

My daughter and I are looking forward to it - looks to be a great cruise.  We'll have to do some schedule shifting to make it - but we can do that (hopefully).  I'll actually already be in Europe for another tour then (if things work out right).  We've already done another Viking cruise in Aug. to Iceland - on the Sky.  One of the bartenders that was on that cruise was also on our previous Sky voyage. The cruise was very well planned and I felt very safe the whole time.  I also have 2 European cruises planned for next month.  I'm doing what I can to keep myself safe - vacced, boosted, distanced (as much as possible) and masked.  Can't pass on this opportunity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, map70065 said:

Can't pass on this opportunity.

Well, yeah, actually I can...though certainly shouldn't for reasons already stated.  You have the advantage of having cruised during covid. I haven't done anything other than a few car trips. Yet another thing here is that booking business class flights is much more expensive only 3 months out than say, 6-7 months. Just checked. Viking probably wasn't thinking about that in terms of people upgrading, or well....maybe they were. 🤔

Edited by OnTheJourney

Whoop whoop!

Thanks Cruzzinma, we hadn't received the email but when I read your post I immediately rang the London office and have moved our Baltic Cruise (same dates!!) to 2023. 

Hoorah, it'll be great for us all to finally get together again, meet up with old pals and meet new ones too.

I'm so pleased. I felt sure that the Chairman would honour his promise to us all despite the fact that this pandemic must have been truly devastating for the business. I send my thanks to him.

My diary is fit to explode leading up to this, we have six weeks in Paris before we go, but we couldn't possibly miss this experience.

If CC won't allow us to officially organise a Meet and Greet, let us organise an unofficial meet-up somewhere on the ship!

All good wishes to you all!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DGHOC said:

we couldn't possibly miss this experience.

Darn, looks like I'm odd man out....and yet probably made more noise as to what will happen with this trip, etc. over the past year or so than anyone on CC!!! 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Darn, looks like I'm odd man out....and yet probably made more noise as to what will happen with this trip, etc. over the past year or so than anyone on CC!!! 

Mmm that didn’t go unnoticed . Perhaps you made too much noise and forced a rushed decision?

• Like 3