Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

5 hours ago, DGHOC said:

the Chairman's invite cruise will be from somewhere in Italy to Barcelona where the ship then starts its first paid passenger cruise to London. Therefore mid Jan for about a week ending in Barcelona.

I have a feeling this is probably the more likely...otherwise how to control the Sky / general public booking out of Barcelona? 

Been looking at this further. Noticed that the shortest Venice to Barcelona (or reverse) is 13 days so will be interesting to see how they do this for us. One has to sail around Italy, but then can continue in a basically northwesterly path right to Barcelona rather than taking the Strait of Messina and adding ports such as Naples, Rome, etc. Would LOVE It if they'd do all of this, having never been in the Mediterranean, but hardly think it likely a complimentary cruise such as is being offered would be that extensive. Either way, would at least be cool if Corfu would be one of the ports before changing to a southwest heading in the Ionian Sea. Really anxious to see how this plays out. 

The Fincantieri website states that the Viking Venus is being constructed at its Ancona shipyard, considerably south of Venice,  so it will be interesting to see where our voyage will actually begin.

https://www.fincantieri.com/en/media/press-releases/2019/fincantieri-works-start-in-ancona-on-the-new-ship-for-viking/

The Sea, Sky, Sun, Orion, and Jupiter were all built at Ancona and had a variety of 'maiden voyages' as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Star and Sea did Istanbul to Venice, Sky and Orion did Rome to Barcelona. Jupiter did Athens to Rome but collided with a pier in Greece. 

5 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

The Sea, Sky, Sun, Orion, and Jupiter were all built at Ancona and had a variety of 'maiden voyages' as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Star and Sea did Istanbul to Venice, Sky and Orion did Rome to Barcelona. Jupiter did Athens to Rome but collided with a pier in Greece. 

Just makes the anticipation even more intriguing!

5 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Edited by JDincalif

Definitely.....   Just heard again from folks who have recently done Celebrity (we have one in October) as to how much of a "joke" the muster drill is. I swear I'm gonna go off on someone if I see them not paying attention. I know you "get it"...but those who have not been through an emergency situation truly don't. It's a "let's get this over with" routine. I must admit to probably feeling like that at times pre-Sky. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

18 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Apologies for the duplicate post - some days my fingers shouldn`t be let loose.

Edited by JDincalif

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

The Fincantieri website states that the Viking Venus is being constructed at its Ancona shipyard, considerably south of Venice,  so it will be interesting to see where our voyage will actually begin.

https://www.fincantieri.com/en/media/press-releases/2019/fincantieri-works-start-in-ancona-on-the-new-ship-for-viking/

Although it is being constructed at Ancona S/Y, after completion it will head out for builder's trials and acceptance trials, before heading to a dock where the S/Y formerly hands the ship over to Viking. After trials, they don't always return to the construction yard for hand-over.

Best guess would be one of the existing TAR ports, as Viking will have existing infrastructure and contacts. Based on that I would think Venice, with Piraeus a 2nd option.

16 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Definitely.....   Just heard again from folks who have recently done Celebrity (we have one in October) as to how much of a "joke" the muster drill is. I swear I'm gonna go off on someone if I see them not paying attention. I know you "get it"...but those who have not been through an emergency situation truly don't. It's a "let's get this over with" routine. I must admit to probably feeling like that at times pre-Sky. 

Princess has a song to the Love Boat theme as part of their muster drill.  I did not find it amusing!

Were we the only ones on Viking Sky who noticed that one of the movies being offered on Viking Sky during our cruise was .... Titanic??? We think perhaps they should remove that movie from their offerings.

16 minutes ago, Snowsranch said:

Were we the only ones on Viking Sky who noticed that one of the movies being offered on Viking Sky during our cruise was .... Titanic??? We think perhaps they should remove that movie from their offerings.

Why remove Titanic? It’s just a movie. Certainly not predictive of anything. We often watch it before cruises.😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm with you Jim, it's only a film, don't see any problem showing it onboard the ship. Haven't watched it before and wouldn't watch it board either, but don't see any point in not showing the film Titanic, if others are interested.

Even on a plane, I would have no problem watching episodes of Mayday.😀

On our first Renaissance cruise back in October '99 the library had a book by a crew-member survivor of the Titanic (and also the Brittanic).  I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book on board and never worried about the possibility of our hitting an iceberg on our Lisbon-Barcelona itinerary.

Ren didn't remove that book from the various ships' libraries but I've never checked to see if Oceania kept them ...

Mura

Near, far, wherever you are, I believe that the heart does go ooooonnnnn...........(will never hear this song the same way again ever since the guitarist on the Sky was playing it that Saturday afternoon during lunch LOL)  

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

4 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Raise a glass to our safe return and to all those who made it possible!

Thank you both, never occurred to us, perhaps we have been confused by the heat wave in South England, here’s to many more chances to remember and thank

On 7/24/2019 at 1:18 AM, Haworth said:

Thank you both, never occurred to us, perhaps we have been confused by the heat wave in South England, here’s to many more chances to remember and thank

I don't make no excuses.....hot weather or cold...sometimes I'm just plain confused!   lol :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

I don't make no excuses.....hot weather or cold...sometimes I'm just plain confused!   lol :)

I realize you give great credit to the ship's personnel and those of the rescue services, with which I agree, but I'm inspired by your unflappable spirit. Thanks for continuing to post here, and the other "survivors."