Cheap options from IAH to Galveston

jbethel11

On 3/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, jbethel11 said:

A family of 4, sailing late August, may have 6 pieces of Luggage.

Check out https://www.galvestonlimo.com/.  We use them from IAH to the cruise terminal quite often.  Looks like they charge about $200 roundtrip. Their website is very user friendly.  And you can see before you book. 

Edited by LuckyStar

On 3/30/2019 at 4:14 PM, jbethel11 said:

A family of 4, sailing late August, may have 6 pieces of Luggage.

Galveston Express has a Discount code (SUMMER) that will get you 20% off Monday through Saturday.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:57 PM, MoCowBell said:

Galveston Express has a Discount code (SUMMER) that will get you 20% off Monday through Saturday.

Ive just tried to book using that code for next Wednesday (one-way trip) but doesn't seem to work so ive emailed them.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, LuckyStar said:

Check out https://www.galvestonlimo.com/.  We use them from IAH to the cruise terminal quite often.  Looks like they charge about $200 roundtrip. Their website is very user friendly.  And you can see before you book. 

I personally do not like these  multi- consumer transfers.  They are just as bad as the cruise line transfers.

anyone have any actual experience with an Uber either from airport of local Houston hotel??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fdthird said:

IAH to Galveston only. 

Yes, people just don't seem to get that is over 70 miles. Too many people book cruises out of Galveston with the illusion that the airport will be like the one at Fort Lauderdale and the port.

And also for those that don’t know , Houston Hobby Airport is 40 miles away from Galveston and is a Southwest Airline major hub and has other airlines . This is same distance as Port Canaveral is to Orlando . 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ssb said:

And also for those that don’t know , Houston Hobby Airport is 40 miles away from Galveston and is a Southwest Airline major hub and has other airlines . This is same distance as Port Canaveral is to Orlando . 

The "others" are Delta from Atlanta, American from Dallas and Jet Blue from JFK.

23 minutes ago, ssb said:

Texas Tillie - thanks for your long time help with information on Galveston Island 

Bet I first went to Galveston before you were even born. We used to stay at the Jack Tar Motel!! Wonder when it was torn down??

My family arrived in Galveston in 1851 and stayed . Many ancestors died in 1900 Great Storm . After the storm the remaining ones stayed and died of old age or went to mainland and Houston . I was born in Houston and have been on the mid coast and Galveston all my life. My age is 75 and live on island full time now in a home built in 1867. Family also lost house in Carla on mid coast, and our present home mid town on island had foot of water in Ike where it was about 5 feet.  We like living behind the Seawall and are comfortable being able to run from a hurricane as needed. Love our community and island in spite of everything.   

Edited by ssb

27 minutes ago, ssb said:

My family arrived in Galveston in 1851 and stayed . Many ancestors died in 1900 Great Storm . After the storm the remaining ones stayed and died of old age or went to mainland and Houston . I was born in Houston and have been on the mid coast and Galveston all my life. My age is 75 and live on island full time now in a home built in 1867. Family also lost house in Carla on mid coast, and our present home mid town on island had foot of water in Ike where it was about 5 feet.  We like living behind the Seawall and are comfortable being able to run from a hurricane as needed. Love our community and island in spite of everything.   

Didn't think you were that "old". Had some relatives come into Galveston about 1850 with the German "invasion", but they moved closer to San Antonio to claim the free land. We had a beach house at Surfside built on a foundation of a house blown away by Carla. Personally, I'm not a beach person. 😎

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CoW mAn said:

For a single person Galveston Express is the cheapest way to go but the math changes when the group is larger - here's the price breakdown of the various options based on a single traveler...

One problem, you didn't say which airport in Houston. Since you are in Vancouver, I'd guess IAH (aka the big airport) which is 70 miles from Galveston. Many fly into HOU on Southwest which is only 40 miles from Galveston and therefore, cheaper on the transportation. Nice try, however.