sushi making class

I did this with my then 8yr old daughter and we loved it.  I can't remember exactly the rolls, pretty standard ones e.g., californian, but it was a good variety (e.g., some with seaweed, some with egg, the 'cone' one etc). We could take the instructions/recipes away with us & she got a certificate.

A tip is that when we bought it, I just paid for my daughter to do it.  I was there, and stood behind her (still aproned/gloved) and was able to listen & help her if she needed it.  There were other mum/daughter combos who had both paid for a space, and I think it looked a bit stressful, as the mum was trying to do hers, listen and help the child at the same time.  Just pay for the child and be there as support - cheaper and way more effective 🙂  There was HEAPS of sushi, enough for her & myself and she kept some to give to her favourite waiter, bless.

Do it, it's fun! We made it here at home afterwards, so was totally worthwhile.

We've done it twice, both times on the Navigator.   You get to eat what you make, and it's well worth it IMO.  Since taking the class the first time in 2016, we now make sushi pretty regularly at home as well.

Here's what the plate looked like last from a couple of weeks ago.  Both of our daughters did the class this time so we had two plates like this.  A good amount of food.  Spicy Tuna Roll, California Roll, Tempura Shrimp Roll, Shrimp Nigiri

Sushi.thumb.JPG.ef1946f5da5d64b90a71d2f98dd116c3.JPG

Dan

• Like 5

Done it on Oasis and enjoyed it.  It was $20 when we did it but I'd pay $30.  As others have said, you get about that much in food.  So if you would be willing to pay $60 for sushi for the two of you, the class is practically free.  We had so much extra sushi, we brought it back and put it in the fridge in our room to enjoy later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

We had so much extra sushi, we brought it back and put it in the fridge in our room to enjoy later.

Lucky you, they would not allow us to take it out of Izumi on Brilliance in February. We were so bummed because we wasted about a roll each since it was SO MUCH food.  We decided we would do it again but only pay for one person to roll and both of us could share the eating part 😋

30 minutes ago, Christinampl said:

Lucky you, they would not allow us to take it out of Izumi on Brilliance in February. We were so bummed because we wasted about a roll each since it was SO MUCH food.  We decided we would do it again but only pay for one person to roll and both of us could share the eating part 😋

Good idea.  We had 7 in our group and shared the two plates my daughters made.  The 5 of us just showed up towards the end of the class and then sat down and ate in Izumi once the class was over.  They were nice enough to let us eat at a couple of their tables.

Dan

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mek said:

This seems to be a hot topic lately!  I did on Allure in October and it was great fun and delicious.  Plus you get sake!

Yeah, it was one of those little known activities.  Glad more are finding out about it.  It's a fun way to have a new cruise experience.

Dan

5 hours ago, Christinampl said:

We are sailing on the Brilliance in May and have also booked the Sushi making class for the two of us.  Did the Izumi staff indicate why they would not allow you to take your creations to your room (health/sanitary reasons...not wanting people to share with those who may not have paid for the class or...)?  Seems like a lot of food to have to consume at one time.  It is curious that some ships allow it and other may not.

My husband has done it three times now: Adventure, Harmony and Serenade.  Loved it every time.  Each time has been a slightly different experience, in what and how much they made.  

He'll be doing it again on Grandeur later this month.  

2 hours ago, Zingy2 said:

We are sailing on the Brilliance in May and have also booked the Sushi making class for the two of us.  Did the Izumi staff indicate why they would not allow you to take your creations to your room (health/sanitary reasons...not wanting people to share with those who may not have paid for the class or...)?  Seems like a lot of food to have to consume at one time.  It is curious that some ships allow it and other may not.

On another thread it was mentioned that someone took  sushi back to their cabin and left it in the "fridge" for a few days and got sick.

Edited by mek

Also let us take it on anthem. Had so much left over I gave it to 3 people sitting next to us on the pool deck. My daughter was very proud of her work and the  people we met thought it was excellent  also.

35 minutes ago, mek said:

On another thread it was mentioned that someone took  sushi back to their cabin and left it in the "fridge" for a few days and got sick.

That was me and that was what we were told on Oasis in 2017.  On Independence last year, the couple next to my kids were told the same thing.  They had barely eaten any of the rolls they made as they went to the class right after breakfast.  There were initially told no.  But a box was then brought to them and they were allowed to take it.  So just beware that this may be at the discretion of the staff at the time of your sailing.

12 hours ago, Zingy2 said:

They told us due to health safety issues.  We STUFFED ourselves sick but enjoyed it 😋

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:19 PM, mek said:

It is my understanding that they aren't "true" refrigerators.  Not sure what use they are for.

13 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

It is my understanding that they aren't "true" refrigerators.  Not sure what use they are for.

This is true.  On the Navigator there was a sign on the front of every cabin "refrigerator" that stated that it was not a true refrigerator, but rather a cooler of some sort.  It does not keep food at a safe cold temperature, that's for sure.  I don't recall exactly, but I think it listed the temperature to expect of something like 40-55 Degrees F.  Wish I had taken a photo.

Dan

I did this on Anthem at Christmas with my millennial daughter. She was in her glory as sushi is her favorite and it was a wonderful bonding experience that she still talks about. Anyone considering this I can’t recommend it enough. I only wish I noticed others taking their sushi out with them. By the time I realized you could do this I had forced myself to eat all that I made and was uncomfortably stuffed for a couple hours!