Iceland Questions v2.o

Hi!

The original Iceland Questions thread had reached up to 35 pages since the time it originated back in 2013!

It seemed like a good time to kick off a new version of "Iceland Questions" so that it will make it a bit more easier to navigate for anyone clicking around for helpful, interesting pieces of info on this mighty island nation. We tend to get some incredible photographs included in the posts too, thanks to the spectacular and incomparable natural landscapes, creatures and other memorable views captured by our members.

The previous thread remains here for you to view anytime you wish, it is only closed to future postings. For questions concerning your upcoming visits (or visits you're thinking of making!) please go ahead and start to write your posts and replies here in our soon to be as bulky Iceland thread. 

Thanks to everyone that has contributed by posting (or reading!) to the previous volume and to everyone who'll be part of the next version. You're what makes these communities the best there are anywhere 🙂

Hi, thanks for the post.

We are coming to Reykjavik and we want to visit the viking market in  Hafnarfjörður, will it be easy to do this using public transport, and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Susan

1 hour ago, lsb48154 said:

Traveling with Tauck on a Ponant vessel this June. Any advice regarding footwear/rain gear? I know layers are practical attire, but boots? Shoes? Sneakers? Suggestions are appreciated!

For shore excursions in Iceland, it's really a good idea to be prepared for wet weather.   We wore waterproof, low cut Merrell hikers, and they were perfect. (Even if it's not raining, you may very well encounter wet ground, mud, etc.)  Also have outer rain gear, certainly a rain jacket.  There was a big discussion on our Roll Call about whether to take rain pants, and at the last minute, my wife and I decided to do so.  As it happened, there was a day when we absolutely needed them, and we were glad we had them.  

And yes, layers. . . 

Enjoy your cruise!

Definitely want waterPROOF, not water Resistant in Iceland.  Expect rain every day. 

Thick soles are needed as the surfaces are cold (even in June it can be in the 40s), wet, and rarely flat, so you want protection from "pointy rocks"

• 2 months later...

We will be in Reykjavik for a one day cruise stop and are undecided what to do there. The two main tours seem to be either Golden Circle or South Coast. Since we can do only one, which would you recommend for a first time visit? Pros/cons of each?

3 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

We will be in Reykjavik for a one day cruise stop and are undecided what to do there. The two main tours seem to be either Golden Circle or South Coast. Since we can do only one, which would you recommend for a first time visit? Pros/cons of each?

We will be doing the South Coast today and the Golden Circle tomorrow . We will tell you our observations and recommendations tomorrow after the tour .

They are both amazing.  South coast will be 2 big waterfalls, black sand beach, and it might include Solheimajokull, which is a huge glacier you can walk up close to.

Golden Circle is one incredible waterfall, the Geysir, that spouts every 5-8 minutes, and the national park where democracy was invented, Þingvellir (Thingvellir)

16 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

We had two days in Reykjavik on a cruise last summer and did both of these tours.  While the Golden Circle seems to be more popular (perhaps because it's a bit shorter), it's basically about visiting three well-known sites.  I thought the South Coast was absolutely spectacular from beginning to end. 

Here are some of my reactions to each; please keep in mind that what is interesting and enjoyable to me may not be to you.   

Golden Circle: for me, the highlight was getting to walk alongside the North American tectonic plate (in Thingvellir), which you'd have to be thousands of feet under the Atlantic Ocean to do in most places on earth. Also, as others have mentioned, Thingvellir is of great historical significance as the site of the first Icelandic parliament. 

We enjoyed seeing the Geysir geothermal area, but if you've ever been to Yellowstone, it just does not compare.  The Gulfoss waterfall is quite impressive and beautiful.  

The South Coast:  where do I start?   The black sand beach (Reynisfjara) along the wild coast, with columnar basalt, was stunningly beautiful.  The two waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss, were fabulous -- and you can walk behind one, and walk right up to the other (where you WILL get wet and will love it).  And there's also walking up to Solheimajokull (the glacier).  And the drive itself (and it's a long way) was just beautiful.

Again, I would not make recommendations to you, but I would suggest you do some more reading on each and decide what is of most interest to you.

Have a great time, whatever you decide!

enhance

(Skógafoss, by turtles06)

enhance

(North American tectonic plate, by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

I agree with what Turtles06 said.  We've been to Iceland twice on cruises.  On the first one we did the Golden Circle as I had done a lot of research into the geology etc of the country and I loved being able to straddle two continents at once <g>.  On the second one we did the South Coast tour.  It's enjoyable and informative as well but can't match the GC IMHO.