Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

An online newspaper in the Bahamas has tweeted video of what seems to be a crane that has partially collapsed into the stern of Oasis in Freeport. (It seems that maybe it was there for a week-long wet dock?) It also seems she is listing slightly to starboard. Can't find any other details at the moment.

https://twitter.com/Bahamaspress/status/1112772498427441152

Edited by br111

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

Something is wrong, can't seem to see the story or video.

The article and video I posted is there, must be an issue on your side.  

Man on video says "dock two is gone, all the cranes are gone, big, big, big disaster".  He also mentions there might be people missing though other link says they can't confirm that.

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The article and video I posted is there, must be an issue on your side.  

Man on video says "dock two is gone, all the cranes are gone, big, big, big disaster".  He also mentions there might be people missing though other link says they can't confirm that.

The short video below your post shows one of the large cranes resting against Oasis, however, the other large crane to the left seems in order.  Wonder what kind of damage was suffered.

This is really unfortunate.  My thoughts and prayers are lifted up for anyone killed or injured.

A friend of mine sailed on the Oasis two weeks ago.  They had a great cruise but apparently there was a Norovirus outbreak and one of the engines went down.  This is why it went to dry dock.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes, that news report has a little more info.

Yes, it did, the internet warriors out there are already clamoring that the ship wasn't in dry dock because it was floating. This article seems to indicate the accident happened as the water was being removed?  I have no idea if there are external supports to the ship normally when the water is removed?  Has an Oasis class ever been to this dock yard yet? All the dry Oasis class photos I have seen are construction photos from the European ship yards

Edited by BillOh
typo

7 minutes ago, CruiseTeacher7 said:

This is really unfortunate.  My thoughts and prayers are lifted up for anyone killed or injured.

A friend of mine sailed on the Oasis two weeks ago.  They had a great cruise but apparently there was a Norovirus outbreak and one of the engines went down.  This is why it went to dry dock.  

While the recent Noro outbreak did happen, that's not why she was in dry dock - that was due to a mechanical problem from months back, which is why they cancelled the March 31 sailing (there was a big thread about this).  We are supposed to be boarding her on Sunday - not looking good 😖  Glad no one seems to have been seriously injured in this incident.

Edited by jdg623
add info
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Yes, it did, the internet warriors out there are already clamoring that the ship wasn't in dry dock because it was floating. This article seems to indicate the accident happened as the water was being removed?  I have no idea if there are external supports to the ship normally when the water is removed?  Has an Oasis class ever been to this dock yard yet? All the dry Oasis class photos I have seen are construction photos from the European ship yards

The ship is in wet dock. They put dams in place around the two Azipods to fix the bearing issue. The ship is still floating.

2 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I need an expert to explain this to me, I do not understand what they mean about water being removed!

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

I need an expert to explain this to me, I do not understand what they mean about water being removed!

When a ship goes into dry dock, they pull the ship into the dock and then the water is removed from the dock to take the ship out of the water.

1 minute ago, bowler15547 said:

The ship is in wet dock. They put dams in place around the two Azipods to fix the bearing issue. The ship is still floating.

I've never heard of this being done before, but I can see the logic of it.   I'd love to see pictures of the dams and how they work.