Why I understand when new cruisers have DSC issues

Peachypooh

I was taken back when I was on my first cruise and saw the charge when I checked the account. The TA never mentioned it, and I did not understand what it was for, so we marched down the the service desk and inquired, where they told me it is a "Discretionary Service Charge".....I said "So it's at my discretion ?"....she said yes and explained why the charge existed, so it was fine by me, left it in place and still tipped those I interacted with.

I do understand the typical new cruiser who books and cruise like they would book a hotel and doesn’t dive deeply into any additional research being blindsided by the DSC, (when is the last time you read a hotel’s FAQ?). But that person also doesn’t post on cruise critic. The people who post on cruise critic should have seen numerous threads about the DSC so not sure how they could be surprised by it. This is why I use cruisecritic and TripAdvisor. To get my ‘surprises’ Out of the way way before my trip.

Edited by sanger727

Seems like I am one of the few advocating for honesty and full disclosure?  DSC may have been in place for 17 years, but I'm sure there are many first time cruisers who haven't been following cruising or cruise boards.  I stand behind the DSC should show up as a line item on all cruise quotes/bookings, with the info about it and when it should be paid by.  It's the responsibility of the seller to disclose all costs, not of the buyer to read through faqs, boards, reviews and other resources to find out on their own what the final cost will be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, erdoran said:

Seems like I am one of the few advocating for honesty and full disclosure?  DSC may have been in place for 17 years, but I'm sure there are many first time cruisers who haven't been following cruising or cruise boards.  I stand behind the DSC should show up as a line item on all cruise quotes/bookings, with the info about it and when it should be paid by.  It's the responsibility of the seller to disclose all costs, not of the buyer to read through faqs, boards, reviews and other resources to find out on their own what the final cost will be.

I agree with you.

• Like 1