LOL - Cagney's on the Gem brought us a bill for $1!!! (plus 20% gratuity)

24 minutes ago, YankeeFan4Ever said:

Huge difference, the pettiness comes from charging Platinum (loyal) cruisers $1 on a "Free" meal.

It isn't fair to compare it to paying the extra dollar on a $16 drink order. The ultimate beverage package isn't a reward for being a loyal customer... 

It's even worse than the drink example! You guys are looking a gift horse in the mouth. You're complaining that the free meal they gave you which said it was X was not the X+$1 thing you preferred! Companies are cutting their loyalty programs across the board. Go on the Royal board and there's always complaints of what they cut this time. Complaining that they won't cover more than what is explicitly offered -- because you guys KNOW you are ordering something with an upcharge -- is just asking for them to either get fed up and either get rid of the perk all together or switch it to only allowing you certain items no substitutions or upcharges. 

• Like 2

Thanks to the OP for posting their experience.  Does this mean Cagney's prices have in the last few weeks been raised again?  On a recent thread,  the porterhouse would have qualified - one menu lists it at $22 and the other $23 (kind of difficult to read) - so now it's $26?  

Doesn't take away the principle of how this was handled, but does this mean entrees are again exceeding the Platinum limit?  On Breakaway last Nov. the PH was $23 but neither my guest nor I were charged extra as we originally both ordered the ribeye but it was N/A so we were offered the porterhouse instead.  The limit at that point was $20 or under entrees but was soon after raised to $25.

Here's the link to the Cagney's menu thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2638778-cagney’s-menu/?tab=comments#comment-56881089

Does anyone have the new one with higher prices (at least for the porterhouse)?

Since the OP mentioned this to both the manager (presumably AMD at Cagney's) and Guest Services,  would have been nice if you had gotten some response to your concerns.  

Edited by snorklinbarb

Just reading "Bird Travels" current live aboard Escape.  The menu for Cagney's is post #19 and confirms PH is now $26, $1 over the Platinum limit.  Given the previous 2 menus were just recently posted (and was $23 last Nov.), looks like some more recent price hikes.  The filet on Bird's menu is $24 (though would qualify under Platinum new limit).

What's weird is the Plat. Plus packet in their cabin has out of date coupons and lists $20 limit!

We have exclusively sailed with NCL since 2010 and are now Platinum Plus, however their pettiness has put me over the top. Apparently loyalty doesn’t matter to them and between their raising their DSC every year and now limiting our Platinum meals, it’s a wonder why more of us aren’t leaving?  I have MSC and Princess now booked and have decided enough is enough with NCL. At some point in the future maybe they will care, but I doubt it. This is just MY opinion with the hope that maybe, just maybe, they will appreciate those of us who were loyal back when they cared about us, the passengers and not how much money they could make off of us. $1.20 really? How insulting. 

9 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

We have exclusively sailed with NCL since 2010 and are now Platinum Plus, however their pettiness has put me over the top. Apparently loyalty doesn’t matter to them and between their raising their DSC every year and now limiting our Platinum meals, it’s a wonder why more of us aren’t leaving?  I have MSC and Princess now booked and have decided enough is enough with NCL. At some point in the future maybe they will care, but I doubt it. This is just MY opinion with the hope that maybe, just maybe, they will appreciate those of us who were loyal back when they cared about us, the passengers and not how much money they could make off of us. $1.20 really? How insulting. 

I think many loyals have more or less silently done what you mention.

Been lots of tv ads last few months - gotta fill the ships somehow.

It's not the dollar.  It's not the $5 dollars.  It's not the limit on the items you may have with a free meal.  It's the appearance of the pettiness these issues provoke.  Do these small items of restriction justify enough revenue increase for them to off set the bad attitudes they provoke?  Personally, if I was marketing, I'd just raise the total cruise package price base $100 and lift all these petty restrictions.  None of us would actually even realize the base price increase, since they bounce up and down constantly.   And we would board with a much more NCL loving attitude.   That would be my marketing approach.    

• Like 5

16 hours ago, smplybcause said:

It's even worse than the drink example! You guys are looking a gift horse in the mouth. You're complaining that the free meal they gave you which said it was X was not the X+$1 thing you preferred! Companies are cutting their loyalty programs across the board. Go on the Royal board and there's always complaints of what they cut this time. Complaining that they won't cover more than what is explicitly offered -- because you guys KNOW you are ordering something with an upcharge -- is just asking for them to either get fed up and either get rid of the perk all together or switch it to only allowing you certain items no substitutions or upcharges. 

Except we didn't know there was a limit until we received the bill... We were under the impression that we could order one appetizer or salad, one entree and one dessert. We weren't told there was a monetary limit on the entree. I guess we should have looked more closely at the free dinner voucher however I'm not sure it was printed on it either...

Again not a complaint, more of an observation.

16 minutes ago, roger001 said:

It's not the dollar.  It's not the $5 dollars.  It's not the limit on the items you may have with a free meal.  It's the appearance of the pettiness these issues provoke.  Do these small items of restriction justify enough revenue increase for them to off set the bad attitudes they provoke?

Very well said, Thank you roger001 for explaining the intent of my thread so eloquently.

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

We're cruising the Escape in September then taking a break from NCL for awhile... Their prices for 2020 are insane and we feel the quality of cruise they provide has been going downhill for the last 3 years...

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, YankeeFan4Ever said:

Hello,

A little background info: This was our 13th cruise on Norwegian, 20th overall. My wife and I are 37 and 41. We've cruised Princess, Carnival and NCL. We are Platinum status on NCL, Gold on Carnival. We typically choose inside, OV and balcony cabins. We've never cruised in a suite or the Haven.

We recently arrived home from a nice 10 day cruise on the Gem. Everything was good, it was a nice cruise however, we did encounter an issue at Cagney's Steakhouse:

We enjoyed the food and service but at the end of the meal we were presented with a bill for $1 plus 20% gratuity. This was a Platinum rewards meal which was supposed to be free. Since I ordered the Porterhouse, I apparently went over the (new) limit by $1. To actually bring me a bill for such a small amount left a very bad taste in our mouths... Not a good way to treat your most loyal customers. Does NCL really need that measly $1 so desperately??!!!!

We were also told that we could order 1 appetizer OR a salad (not both), 1 main and 1 dessert.

For us, it's really not about the money, we added $10 to the bill (as a tip for the good service we received) and signed. We tried to bring it up with the Manager on duty and even Guest Services just to advise them that they really should rethink this strategy, however we never heard anything back.

I will admit we do feel a little burned at the fact that we've spent close to 35K cruising NCL since 2011 and they insist on getting that last dollar out of our pockets but I digress...

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Limits are set for a reason...i agree there needs to be a cut off point but why make the cutoff point a dollar less then a very popular menu item.

That seems like a bad decision on NCL part.

Isnt it funny that years from now you will forget about the great times when NCL went above and beyond on things they didnt need to...then you have a bad experience like the added $1 and you will forever remember it....for all eternity. 

You and your wife will surely have a good laugh at this 5 years from now when you are reliving the experience telling friends at the next cocktail party. (i just wish you would have gotten a response)

Best,

Mark

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, roger001 said:

It's not the dollar.  It's not the $5 dollars.  It's not the limit on the items you may have with a free meal.  It's the appearance of the pettiness these issues provoke.  Do these small items of restriction justify enough revenue increase for them to off set the bad attitudes they provoke?  Personally, if I was marketing, I'd just raise the total cruise package price base $100 and lift all these petty restrictions.  None of us would actually even realize the base price increase, since they bounce up and down constantly.   And we would board with a much more NCL loving attitude.   That would be my marketing approach.    

1000 times this!!

My plan is to go to the Cruise Next office and let them know that I will not be purchasing any further certificates and tell them exactly why.  It is these ridiculous penny pinching tactics that leave a bad taste in our mouths.  Either the "thank you for being a loyal customer" dinner should be free or don't bother having it.  They keep cutting back on service and food quality and raising prices.

I will speak with my money and maybe if enough people complain they will re-think some of this, but we need to let them know why we are upset.

1 hour ago, thetaro said:

People are surprised that NCL loves to nickel and dime? Vote with your money. I canceled 3 NCL cruise and book similar product and itinerary on MSC for half the money. 

Good for you. That is a wise thing to do. At this point, they are way above our maximum on cruise pricing, service charges, and onboard amenities. So at this point they can keep on raising them. They won't get a dollar extra from us, and if we sail, it will be sail away rate only. We'll be careful to avoid their week old, frozen shrimp cocktail, we don't want their fatty, greasy ribeye, or their pre-made, hours-old beverages served from 5 gallon pitchers. We'll take the savings from the steakhouse and enjoy an evening at Morton's, we'll use the savings from their overpriced, watery beverages to buy a few bottles here at home and make some good quality drinks. Simple cost benefit analysis for us. It's one thing when quality matches price, but in this case, not so much. Not even close.

In fact, just bought a nice bottle of wine here at home for $15. Cheers to NCL for more cash grabs!!!

You went OVER the limit,  and you were charged.   I don't see any issue.   Why do you think you should not have been charged?    Would you think the same - going into Walmart, that it "doesn't matter"  when you spent $21,  and only give them a $20??

Why would you think the cost limits don't apply to you?   

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

You went OVER the limit,  and you were charged.   I don't see any issue.   Why do you think you should not have been charged?    Would you think the same - going into Walmart, that it "doesn't matter"  when you spent $21,  and only give them a $20??

Why would you think the cost limits don't apply to you?   

Stop the apples to oranges comparisons.  Walmart has a loyalty program? 

• Haha 1

I know how you feel, OP.  Got off the Jewel 3/16 In Hong Kong and spent 4 days there.  Riding the tram costs 2.6 Hong Kong Dollars, about $.34.   But if you don't have exact change or an Octopus Card you must put 3HK$ in the till.  So every time we rode the tram it costed each of us an extra nickel.  6 tram rides total costed us $.30 US.  But it gets worse.  We both qualified age wise for the senior citizen discount, but were denied because we did not have the proper ID required.  So that was another $.17 US per ride, so now our extra payments add up to $1.32.  We also took the bus through the tunnel under the bay to the mainland.  Charge was 9.7 HK$ for each ride.  We paid 10 HK$ for each ride, so we overpaid a total of $.16 to bring our total overpayment to $1.48 US.  Of course this pails in comparison to being charged two whole dollars extra plus gratuity.

We will be returning to Hong Kong in February to take a 9 day cruise on RCI Quantum OTS, going to Okinawa, 3 stops in the Philippines ending in Singapore.  Needless to say we will not be taking any public transportation in Hong Kong, only staying one night, not gonna rip us off again.

20 hours ago, YankeeFan4Ever said:

We're cruising the Escape in September then taking a break from NCL for awhile... Their prices for 2020 are insane and we feel the quality of cruise they provide has been going downhill for the last 3 years...

Who, if anyone, you gonna cruise with instead of NCL?

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

I know how you feel, OP.  Got off the Jewel 3/16 In Hong Kong and spent 4 days there.  Riding the tram costs 2.6 Hong Kong Dollars, about $.34.   But if you don't have exact change or an Octopus Card you must put 3HK$ in the till.  So every time we rode the tram it costed each of us an extra nickel.  6 tram rides total costed us $.30 US.  But it gets worse.  We both qualified age wise for the senior citizen discount, but were denied because we did not have the proper ID required.  So that was another $.17 US per ride, so now our extra payments add up to $1.32.  We also took the bus through the tunnel under the bay to the mainland.  Charge was 9.7 HK$ for each ride.  We paid 10 HK$ for each ride, so we overpaid a total of $.16 to bring our total overpayment to $1.48 US.  Of course this pails in comparison to being charged two whole dollars extra plus gratuity.

We will be returning to Hong Kong in February to take a 9 day cruise on RCI Quantum OTS, going to Okinawa, 3 stops in the Philippines ending in Singapore.  Needless to say we will not be taking any public transportation in Hong Kong, only staying one night, not gonna rip us off again.

Nobody ripped you off.

First, the $2 senior discount fare is for people with a senior citizen card which is for Hong Kong residents only not tourists. The government pays the difference in cost.

Second, you should get an octopus card. Where in the world would a bus driver give you change? 

32 minutes ago, thetaro said:

Nobody ripped you off.

First, the $2 senior discount fare is for people with a senior citizen card which is for Hong Kong residents only not tourists. The government pays the difference in cost.

Second, you should get an octopus card. Where in the world would a bus driver give you change? 

Had to pay 150 HK$ for the octopus, and could only charge one ride per card, so we would have had to pay $40 US for 2 cards, not worth it unless doing a lot of traveling.  In the Lehigh Valley, PA, anyone 65 or older can ride the buses for free, no discrimination against tourists.

As far as some people being charged extra and some not...I think it's the time of day...we are usually one of the first couples to dine on any given evening...we have never had to pay "extra" and at times the chef has given us a "little something" for us to try.

They are not rushed and everyone will talk to you and be super friendly......😍...I'm sure it's not because we are a Sr couple LOL and we remind them of their parents 😀