Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule

CharTrav

3 hours ago, CharTrav said:

?? I'm looking at the VO site right now. In the Wake of the Vikings on Sept 1 is still available but with limited availability. Don't know why one would conclude that because the Eastern Seaboard Explorer is sold out on both Sept sailings the  Wake of the Vikings sailing would be in doubt. The two are not logically connected. As far as I can tell, Viking is following its typical seasonal pattern of sailing. The usual pattern of doing Caribbean sailings from October to March got blown to pieces this year and last. So I don't see anything odd at all. The season for Northern Europe/Baltic cruises is April to Sept with the notable exception of In Search of the Northern Lights.

Bottom line - IMHO no need to worry. 

CharTrav  after the Viking Star sailed from Bergen to Montreal on the "In Wake of the Vikings" from September 1st to September 15th it is scheduled to sail from Montreal to New York on "Eastern Seaboard Explorer" from September 15th.   When I checked the Eastern Seaboard Explorer sailing it was sold out.   Since that is sometimes Viking Code for getting ready to cancel I felt that if the Eastern Seaboard Explorer sailing is canceled then it makes little sense to sail Bergen to Montreal.  Of course, the other possibility is that the Eastern Seaboard Explorer sailing from Montreal to New York is in fact really sold out.  Since you are sailing on the In Wake of the Vikings Cruise, I hope for the latter.

It’s the Canada connection that accounts for the sold out eastern seaboard cruises.  You can’t sail in the US without a foreign port.  If Canada still isn’t open for cruises in September, then the two Eastern Seaboard cruises will cancel.  But that is a long way out, so Viking has just marked them sold out, i.e.  not open to book right now, just like the Alaska cruises.  However, the In the Wake of the Vikings cruise is the repositioning cruise for the Star, which is to do Caribbean cruises and the the WC next fall.  It will have started in Norway, so could conclude in US if necessary, and skip the Canadian section if need be.  That’s what it is still open, I think.  We are booked on both these Star cruises, so I may be overly optimistic.

Viking uses SOLD OUT as place holder any time that they stop taking reservations on a particular sail date, whether it is actually sold out or not. However, given the demographic, last minute cancellations are not unusual and a cruise that market sold out on Monday may have limited availability Tuesday.

40 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Since you are sailing on the In Wake of the Vikings Cruise, I hope for the latter.

Sorry for the confusion - I'm not on Wake of the Vikings. We're doing Into the Midnight Sun in July. You may be right that "SOLD OUT" is code for "cancellation imminent". But I doubt it given that the Star is still scheduled to start it's World Cruise in December from Ft Lauderdale. I just checked Star's cruises after Montreal to Ft Lauderdale which is totally sold out. Except for the Oct 23 sailing of Panama Canal & Central America & Panama Canal & Coastal Holiday (first segment of Star's World Cruise), none of Star's cruises after Nov 6 are totally sold out. Does that help?

Clearly, I spend too much time studying VO's schedules! 😉

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As noted earlier today on another thread (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2770372-next-announcement-of-cancellations/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-60790679 -- per Viking's online schedule -- all cruises in April & May 2021 have been removed.  Nothing has appeared yet on the "Update on current sailings" site and no updates (yet) from Tor's Corner so .. things might change (don't know).  In any case, I've updated the Combined Cruise Schedule spreadsheet using what is posted on the VO site as of today, 15 Feb 21.  The direct link to it in DropBox is https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk0llty8bgubssk/Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm?dl=0. Instructions for how to use it along with the link to download an updated version of it are provided in the ReadMe tab (if yo u already have a copy of it).

• Like 1

FYI -- not specifically related to the schedules but indeed related to Viking's ships and cabin classes.  I decided a while ago I wanted my own reference for all of Viking's ships (Ocean, River & Expedition) and features associated with each of its cabin classes (particularly significant with the river ship classes).  So.. I created two spreadsheets -- one for the physical configurations of each of the many ship classes and one dedicated to the cabin class features.  These two sheets have been posted in my DropBox for a while now (may even have told you all about them a while ago too.. can't remember) but anyway, decided to update the two yesterday to (a) remove VE's Santa Cruz II and (b) to add VR's new Viking Saigon.  The link to the DropBox folder containing these two files is provided in my signature. For mobile users who can't see it --  here's the link to the folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0.  No DropBox account is required.

• Thanks 1

FYI -- have not only updated the spreadsheet to include the official date for this last batch of cruise cancellations but also adds helps in the ReadMe tab explaining better how to view the latest and previous cruise cancellations. If you already have a copy of it, use the link in the ReadMe tab to get a new copy or use the links provided above. 

I really do hope this is the LAST time I'll have to update the spreadsheet to note cancellations.  Updating the spreadsheet to capture new cruises (like for the Mars, Venus, & Neptune) is fun and gives me joy.  No more cancellations -- please🙂!!!!

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to check to see if the schedule has been extended beyond August 2023 and the answer is no. Did decide to address an oversight on my part - maintaining a complete record of all the cancellations. Had forgotten to indicate the effects of canceling the world cruise 2020/21. So I fixed it. And uploaded it to DropBox. Keep hoping to see the Viking schedule move beyond August 2023. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Was alerted elsewhere in this forum that the VO schedule for June and July is now empty.  Had already noticed last week that Orion's Alaska & the Inside Passage was no longer scheduled this Summer and its two Trans-Pacific cruises starting in Vancouver on Aug 27 were flagged with "SOLD OUT" (a good sign a cancellation is imminent).  Thus -- have updated and posted the spreadsheet to DropBox.  As an FYI -- the British Isles Explorer sailing on Aug 9th is also flagged with "SOLD OUT" -- a reliable harbinger that it too will be cancelled along with its 2 sailings in June & July.  When the official notice of these cancellations are posted to Updates on Current Sailings, will adjust the cancellation date used in the spreadsheet and repost to DropBox.   As always, the link to the spreadsheet is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0, no DropBox account required to access and download. If you already have it .. just use the link provided in the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy.

It be official today! All previously scheduled cruises in June & July canceled plus Orion's entire summer schedule.  Have added two Welcome Back cruises for this Summer for vaccinated passengers only. Updated the schedule to include them plus the one for UK citizens only. If you already have a copy of the spreadsheet, just use the link provided in the ReadMe tab.  If not, download a copy from DropBox (no account required): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0.

Thanks for the heads up, CharTrav! I booked the 20 July Bermuda Escape for us this morning, adding on our own pre-cruise since Viking didn't have any. We have been wanting to go back there ever since HAL pulled the cruise we had just booked in 2018 on our Panama Canal transit cruise, to send the ship to the Med. I was amazed at how quickly the new cruises have filled up. Our TA said the new Iceland cruises were already sold out, and the Bermuda ones were almost gone.

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Thanks for the heads up, CharTrav! I booked the 20 July Bermuda Escape for us this morning, adding on our own pre-cruise since Viking didn't have any. We have been wanting to go back there ever since HAL pulled the cruise we had just booked in 2018 on our Panama Canal transit cruise, to send the ship to the Med. I was amazed at how quickly the new cruises have filled up. Our TA said the new Iceland cruises were already sold out, and the Bermuda ones were almost gone.

Good for you!  We'll be on the June 29 Bermuda cruise.  Will try to post how it goes. 

You are right - Viking didn't have any pre-cruises.   We fly out of SFO and the flights on Viking are horrible.  Wanting to go in a bit early, but we are worried about the risks of doing our own air - which is both much cheaper and better schedules.   Not sure at this point what to do.  Risks vs costs.

Have you decided how you are getting there?  Have you found a place to stay?

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Have you decided how you are getting there?  Have you found a place to stay?

I booked us on American for a slight premium over what Viking offered ($799), plus I get miles and the potential for upgrade. We are now booked into the Coco Reef Bermuda (third night "free"). We wanted Elbow Beach but it is closed now - but I am hopeful that it will reopen in time for us. Not finding a hotel on the south shore that has easier access to the beach, and is a bit more up-to-date and has more dining options. Suggestions welcome (and you can email me).

• 4 weeks later...

Changes to the schedule were posted at the VO site today. Have updated the spreadsheet but haven't posted it to DropBox yet. Waiting for the formal announcement of  cancellations on Viking's Update on Current Sailings page (https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html).  Hopefully tomorrow. But let me summarize what I saw: all of August and most of September is gone. A few sailings have been added including two extra sailings of Iceland's Natural Beauty Welcome Back cruise (there are now 6 sailings of each of the Welcome Back cruises this June & July). I can't help but think about the effort it will take to get all their ships back to their normal operating area esp Jupiter and Orion. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

maybe so. They've already added two. August is empty. 🙃

The first 6 sold out within 24 hours of being posted. If they post more, I expect the same reaction.

Anyone who is thinking about it should be ready to book just as soon as new sailings are announced.

New sailings added to Iceland employing both Jupiter and Sky. Two additional Bermuda sailings and two new cruises on the Sea doing roundtrips out of Malta. One does Athens and the Greek Isles, the other ports in Croatia and Montenegro. Will post updated spreadsheet later today.  

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2

Uploaded the updated spreadsheet to DropBox.  It looks like all ships but Star will be doing  Welcome Back cruises during the period from May (England's Scenic Shores) through early October.  Jupiter and Sky will be handling Iceland's Natural Beauty, which will be doing 19 sailings until early September.  After Venus finishes England's Scenic Shores, she will join the Sea on Malta & Adriatic Jewels (one of the two new Welcome Back vaxpax only cruises added today).  As always -- if you already have a copy of the spreadsheet, just use the links provided in the ReadMe tab to get the updated copy.  If not, download a copy from DropBox (no account required): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0. Look for Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm.  Signed up to get emails from Viking whenever a new cruise is added today. Don't know why I didn't do that earlier!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Uploaded the updated spreadsheet to DropBox.  It looks like all ships but Star will be doing  Welcome Back cruises during the period from May (England's Scenic Shores) through early October.  Jupiter and Sky will be handling Iceland's Natural Beauty, which will be doing 19 sailings until early September.  After Venus finishes England's Scenic Shores, she will join the Sea on Malta & Adriatic Jewels (one of the two new Welcome Back vaxpax only cruises added today).  As always -- if you already have a copy of the spreadsheet, just use the links provided in the ReadMe tab to get the updated copy.  If not, download a copy from DropBox (no account required): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0. Look for Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm.  Signed up to get emails from Viking whenever a new cruise is added today. Don't know why I didn't do that earlier!!!

What is the email address to sign up whenever a new cruise is added! Thanks and great work as usual in the Spreadsheet!

Bob

43 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

What is the email address to sign up whenever a new cruise is added! Thanks and great work as usual in the Spreadsheet!

Bob

You're welcome. It may be limited to the new welcome back cruises but here it is: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/special-offers/interest-form.html

It's on the bottom of the Welcome Back main page 

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/welcome-back.html

Edited by CharTrav

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the addition of three new Viking Expedition cruises between New York and three destinations -- Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, and Ushuaia: Antarctica & the Americas Sojourn (BA to NY), Caribbean & Brazil's Coastal Jewels (Rio <-> NY), and From New York to Antarctica (NY to Ushuaia).   Posted updated schedule.

• Like 1

Posted another update today.  Three new Malta based cruises added:  one assigned to the Star, one representing back-to-back iterations of Malta & Adriatic Jewels with Malta & Greek Isles Discovery for the Sea; and the third for Venus' transit from Portsmouth to Valletta.  Cancellations (no longer on the VO schedule): Star's sailings of Eastern Seaboard Explorer, Canada & New England Scenic Shores, and the Oct sailing of Panama Canal & Central America.  Given the state of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand's borders  -- not sure what Orion will do after it finishes its sailings of Bermuda Escape in August. Based on what I learned today -- Canada's border remains closed to cruise ships thru Feb 2022; Australia is barring entry to all non-essential travel by non-citizens thru mid 2022; New Zealand is doing the same thru at least the end of 2021 (may follow whatever Australia does in order to preserve the "corridor" for travel between NZ and Australia). And what of the situation in South America esp Brazil? Frankly, I had expected I could stop having to track all these changes by the end of the year but.. I don't think so.  Sigh...😢

Posted in the usual place if you don't have a copy already (link in my signature). If you do, use the link on the Read Me tab to download a fresh copy.

Edited by CharTrav

4 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Posted another update today.  Three new Malta based cruises added:  one assigned to the Star, one representing back-to-back iterations of Malta & Adriatic Jewels with Malta & Greek Isles Discovery for the Sea; and the third for Venus' transit from Portsmouth to Valletta.  Cancellations (no longer on the VO schedule): Star's sailings of Eastern Seaboard Explorer, Canada & New England Scenic Shores, and the Oct sailing of Panama Canal & Central America.  Given the state of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand's borders  -- not sure what Orion will do after it finishes its sailings of Bermuda Escape in August. Based on what I learned today -- Canada's border remains closed to cruise ships thru Feb 2022; Australia is barring entry to all non-essential travel by non-citizens thru mid 2022; New Zealand is doing the same thru at least the end of 2021 (may follow whatever Australia does in order to preserve the "corridor" for travel between NZ and Australia). And what of the situation in South America esp Brazil? Frankly, I had expected I could stop having to track all these changes by the end of the year but.. I don't think so.  Sigh...😢

Posted in the usual place if you don't have a copy already (link in my signature). If you do, use the link on the Read Me tab to download a fresh copy.

Just curious where you read the information regarding Australia barring entry to non essential travel through mid 22?  We pulled out of a February cruise because I was afraid New Zealand would be very slow to open.  We have friends still booked however.  It's a lot of money to keep tied up with viking which is the main reason I pulled out.  I regret it at times.... Not sure how easy it will be in the coming years to jump back into a good deal cruising Australia and New Zealand.