Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule

CharTrav

Ok . .the effort didn't take as long as I thought it would.  Took the chance that since I checked over everything for 2021 and 2022 last week when I posted the update for Mars, all I needed to do was add new stuff.  Checked things over again anyway a little just to be sure.  And yes .. even tho now the point is moot .. discovered I had changed the name of the file for the 2020 to 2022 version when I posted its update last week.  So.. apologies to those who already have the sheet and were surprised when they couldn't download the latest version using the link provided. Anyway -- the new version is for 2021 to 2023. The direct link to it in DropBox is https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk0llty8bgubssk/Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm?dl=0. Instructions for how to use it along with the link to download updated version of it are provided in the ReadMe tab.

In terms of ship schedules:  Sun is still only scheduled through Sept 2021; Mars & Star through September 2022; Jupiter, Sea & Sky through July 2023; and Orion & Venus through August 2023.  Referring to the discussion underway elsewhere regarding the Venus (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743308-viking-venus-what-is-the-status-of-her-build/), we are booked on the Venus next Summer for Into the Midnight Sun departing 12 July (at the urging of some folks here in CCForum, shifted our booking from the Star departing 1 July 2021).  So .. we too .. are making some assumptions about the readiness of Venus (and other things).  Oh well.. 

Thanks for the great work you have done but unfortunately it’s mostly over my head.  Have been pretty much lost with computer anything since I bought a Mac about 3 years ago.  I don’t see our British Isle Explorer cruise on April 5, 2021 for the Venus or on any other ship.  Is that cruise on the spreadsheet?

Wish I were more savvy with this stuff.  Thanks. 

Valerie

Yes it is in the spreadsheet. My authoritative (and only) source is the Viking web site. In fact here is the listing for British Isles Explorer (https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/british-isles-explorer/pricing.html). Filter it to April 2021 and you see this:

90D22D5B-496F-4592-9CDB-2A568EB3DAEF.thumb.png.3e05d80cea795f4ac8969f07ac1b3792.png

On a related topic, forgive me for laughing over your comment about becoming a Mac user. I'm married to a "Mac bigot" and have a bunch of "helpful" like-minded friends who, every time I share a lament about a bad (but not insurmountable) issue with my Windoz machine, can be counted on like clockwork to sing the "get a Mac!" song to me.  😁

By the way, I find working with spreadsheets like this a balm for my soul. Especially now. 

8 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Yes it is in the spreadsheet. My authoritative (and only) source is the Viking web site. In fact here is the listing for British Isles Explorer (https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/british-isles-explorer/pricing.html). Filter it to April 2021 and you see this:

90D22D5B-496F-4592-9CDB-2A568EB3DAEF.thumb.png.3e05d80cea795f4ac8969f07ac1b3792.png

On a related topic, forgive me for laughing over your comment about becoming a Mac user. I'm married to a "Mac bigot" and have a bunch of "helpful" like-minded friends who, every time I share a lament about a bad (but not insurmountable) issue with my Windoz machine, can be counted on like clockwork to sing the "get a Mac!" song to me.  😁

By the way, I find working with spreadsheets like this a balm for my soul. Especially now. 

CharTrav -  I totally understand you!

I also enjoy spreadsheets - use them all the time for everything now, even though retired!   I also have many well meaning friends who have the Apple Mac religion, but I've spent so many years with Windows, just feel comfortable with it!

Ok . .the effort didn't take as long as I thought it would.  Took the chance that since I checked over everything for 2021 and 2022 last week when I posted the update for Mars, all I needed to do was add new stuff.  Checked things over again anyway a little just to be sure.  And yes .. even tho now the point is moot .. discovered I had changed the name of the file for the 2020 to 2022 version when I posted its update last week.  So.. apologies to those who already have the sheet and were surprised when they couldn't download the latest version using the link provided. Anyway -- the new version is for 2021 to 2023. The direct link to it in DropBox is https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk0llty8bgubssk/Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm?dl=0. Instructions for how to use it along with the link to download updated version of it are provided in the ReadMe tab.

In terms of ship schedules:  Sun is still only scheduled through Sept 2021; Mars & Star through September 2022; Jupiter, Sea & Sky through July 2023; and Orion & Venus through August 2023.  Referring to the discussion underway elsewhere regarding the Venus (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743308-viking-venus-what-is-the-status-of-her-build/), we are booked on the Venus next Summer for Into the Midnight Sun departing 12 July (at the urging of some folks here in CCForum, shifted our booking from the Star departing 1 July 2021).  So .. we too .. are making some assumptions about the readiness of Venus (and other things).  Oh well.. 

Great work! Thank you for doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

CharTrav -  I totally understand you!

I also enjoy spreadsheets - use them all the time for everything now, even though retired!   I also have many well meaning friends who have the Apple Mac religion, but I've spent so many years with Windows, just feel comfortable with it!

I'm retired too. I used Macs back when I had a MacIIci but then I went back to the Windows world and never went back. 😊

7 hours ago, flashman69 said:

Just wondering why our trip on Sept 6 (Venus), 2021 Viking Homelands isn't displayed? Is that why the "scattered" comment?

that's not what what "scattered" means -- it was a word I chose to characterize the wide differences in how fully each of the ships are scheduled (some all the way to August '23; one only thru September '21). 

Regarding your trip -- yes -- it is in the spreadsheet and also on the VO web site; however, it's nearly sold out.  Only 2 cabins left.  When you search VO schedules online (mobile or desktop) make sure not to set any filters on cabin class availability; otherwise trips that are fully or nearly booked are hidden. 

1928949474_VHVenus2021.thumb.PNG.6015b7594a8277a6807458994c60e210.PNG

Hope this helps.

Edited by CharTrav

Thank you, @CharTrav, for sharing your excellent spreadsheet!

As a Mac user, without Excel for the Mac, I am presented with the following warning when I open the spreadsheet on my MacBook Pro.  The warning notwithstanding, the spreadsheet appears to present the data properly.

C5A7C49F-1563-4C9D-AA15-5E5DBF72AD3C.png.0abf1a85500201c0912ea73ab3c1df68.png

A better approach for Mac users is to upload the spreadsheet to Google Sheets where it is rendered properly with no warnings.  There are also open source spreadsheet that will likely do a good job.

Edited by -Lew-

24 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Thank you, @CharTrav, for sharing your excellent spreadsheet!

As a Mac user, without Excel for the Mac, I am presented with the following warning when I open the spreadsheet on my MacBook Pro.  The warning notwithstanding, the spreadsheet appears to present the data properly.

C5A7C49F-1563-4C9D-AA15-5E5DBF72AD3C.png.0abf1a85500201c0912ea73ab3c1df68.png

A better approach for Mac users is to upload the spreadsheet to Google Sheets where it is rendered properly with no warnings.  There are also open source spreadsheet that will likely do a good job.

Sorry about that .. I take advantage of all kinds of things in that MS Office 2016 for Windows Excel sheet -- macros, fairly complex formulas, conditional formatting .. the works.  Thanks for the advice to Mac users not running Excel for the Mac.

• 1 month later...

Have just posted an update -- which includes the cancellation of all Viking Expedition Galapagos trips and the addition of two  new cruises: one for Venus, Iconic Mediterranean Treasures from Barcelona to Istanbul in 21 Oct 2022 and one for Orion, Secrets of Southeast Asia from Bali to Singapore on 18 Mar 2023.  Note that the schedule posted on the VO site for Iconic Mediterranean Treasures indicates that the 21 Oct 22 sailing starts from Istanbul.  This is incorrect and I have informed my contact in Viking Customer Relations about this error.  Venus is scheduled to start Iconic Western Mediterranean and Mediterranean Antiquities on 21 Oct 22 from Barcelona. Clearly, Venus can't be in two different places on the same day and since these two (shorter segments of the 22 day Iconic Mediterranean Treasures) were already scheduled, my conclusion is the start port for Iconic Mediterranean Treasures was entered in error.  Anyway -- if you already have a copy of the schedule spreadsheet, simply download a fresh copy using the link in the ReadMe tab or download it directly from DropBox using this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk0llty8bgubssk/Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm?dl=0. If you never used it before, instructions for how to use it are provided in the ReadMe tab.  If you're a Mac user,  per the advice shared by @-Lew- above in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/?do=findComment&comment=60334575 open this Excel file in Google Sheets.

30 minutes ago, What was that? said:

First time user of your spreadsheet - very interesting and helpful. It sure seems like a fulltime J-O-B!

Thanks for taking the time to create and maintain this tool.

Thanks! And no it's not a full time job. It's an effort that's evolved over the years. The big thing was to make it easy to update; lay out a structure along with procedures so I can build a new 3 yr schedule every Fall from the old. That was something I did at the beginning. And then added on tweaks as I went along. If you have any advice to offer to improve the helps on the Readme tab, send me a note using my email address provided there. 

On 10/15/2020 at 5:07 PM, CharTrav said:

If you're a Mac user,  per the advice shared by @-Lew- above in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/?do=findComment&comment=60334575 open this Excel file in Google Sheets.

For some reason known only to Google their Sheets app is no longer working well with the spreadsheet.  I've found the free LibreOffice app for macOS works very well.  I ran into a few macro issues, but nothing that really hinders its usefulness.

Edited by -Lew-

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

For some reason known only to Google their Sheets app is no longer working well with the spreadsheet.  I've found the free LibreOffice app for macOS works very well.  I ran into a few macro issues, but nothing that really hinders its usefulness.

Thanks for the update. I hadn't realized that LibreOffice works in both Windows and MacOS. 

• 1 month later...

Have just posted an updated copy of the Consolidated Cruise Schedule that reflects the changes I was seeing a day or two before the "Updates to Current Sailings" was posted by Viking on 19 Nov,  confirming the changes I was seeing.  One evening about 2 weeks ago I witnessed a lot of thrashing going on with the schedule -- sailings canceled from Jan through March 2021 - only to be restored to their previous state an hour or two later.  Thus, when I noticed last week that all of January was gone -- I held back on making any kind of posting until I knew for sure what I was seeing was real.  It's been uploaded into its  usual place in DropBox. 

To repeat an earlier posting -- if you already have a copy of the spreadsheet, simply download a fresh copy using the link in the ReadMe tab or download it directly from DropBox using this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk0llty8bgubssk/Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm?dl=0. If you never used it before, instructions for how to use it are provided in the ReadMe tab.  If you're a Mac user,  per the advice shared by @-Lew- above in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/?do=findComment&comment=60334575 open this Excel file in Google Sheets.

Fyi - after I read the news about Viking Sun's departure from the Viking fleet to be the seed of a joint venture between Viking and China (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2765972-viking-sun-joins-new-chinese-company-in-2021/) decided to recheck everything. Corrected three oversights on my part. Except for that, no changes since last week.  To download the updated version use the links provided in my post last week or, if you have it already, use the link provided in the ReadMe tab. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted an updated version of the spreadsheet.  It incorporates the latest batch of cancellations announced 8 Dec, which affected not just everything through March 31 but also .. especially in the case of Orion .. through April.  Thanks to @Heidi13 and others in the Virtual Explorers Lounge (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743248-the-virtual-explorers-lounge/), I learned that Viking's newest ship -- the Neptune - has been added to the schedule starting in Dec 2022.  Guess she will replace the Sun as the World Cruise ship? And added her to the spreadsheet.

To save you having to look for and read earlier postings, if you already have a copy of the spreadsheet, simply download a fresh copy using the link in the ReadMe tab or download it directly from DropBox using this link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk0llty8bgubssk/Viking Ocean Cruises (2021 to 2023).xlsm?dl=0. If you've never used it before, instructions are provided in the ReadMe tab.  If you're a Mac user,  per the advice shared by @-Lew-  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2651194-viking-ocean-combined-cruise-schedule/?do=findComment&comment=60334575 open this Excel file in Google Sheets.

• Like 1

More changes!  Star is now fully scheduled into February 2023.  Did a complete re-check of all cruise schedules so feel fairly confident I haven't missed anything. As I keep saying -- if you already have a copy, just use the link provided in the ReadMe tab to get the updated copy; otherwise use the links provided in my previous post or in my signature to download a copy.   Enjoy!

Edited by CharTrav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the Viking Ocean Schedule and noted that all sailings except in Europe and the Baltic Area are not listed or marked "Sold Out" between now and September 1st.   On September 1st "In the Wake of the Vikings" is still listed from Bergen to Montreal and on September 19th "Far Eastern Horizons" is still listed as the only two cruises in September listed that are not in Europe or the Baltic. But since the "Eastern Seaboard Explorer" from Montreal to New York on September 15th is listed as "Sold Out" it calls into question if the September 1st cruise to Montreal from Bergen will really happen.  It is beginning to look as if Vikings' Plan is to start back in the Baltic and Europe for most of 2021.

4 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I was looking at the Viking Ocean Schedule and noted that all sailings except in Europe and the Baltic Area are not listed or marked "Sold Out" between now and September 1st.   On September 1st "In the Wake of the Vikings" is still listed from Bergen to Montreal and on September 19th "Far Eastern Horizons" is still listed as the only two cruises in September listed that are not in Europe or the Baltic. But since the "Eastern Seaboard Explorer" from Montreal to New York on September 15th is listed as "Sold Out" it calls into question if the September 1st cruise to Montreal from Bergen will really happen.  It is beginning to look as if Vikings' Plan is to start back in the Baltic and Europe for most of 2021.

Mmmm. Thanks for the heads up. Will check the VO sked today altho I checked it just a few days ago and it looked like nothing had changed since my last posted update. We are booked on into the Midnight Sun for July. Just sent the final payment last Friday even tho had not received the usual email reminding me that the final payment was due today. Normally receive starting about a week before. Curious! 🤔

6 hours ago, Dukefan said:

?? I'm looking at the VO site right now. In the Wake of the Vikings on Sept 1 is still available but with limited availability. Don't know why one would conclude that because the Eastern Seaboard Explorer is sold out on both Sept sailings the  Wake of the Vikings sailing would be in doubt. The two are not logically connected. As far as I can tell, Viking is following its typical seasonal pattern of sailing. The usual pattern of doing Caribbean sailings from October to March got blown to pieces this year and last. So I don't see anything odd at all. The season for Northern Europe/Baltic cruises is April to Sept with the notable exception of In Search of the Northern Lights.

Bottom line - IMHO no need to worry. 

Edited by CharTrav