Top Shelf Liquor CHEERS

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I will bet you one $30 drink that a new drink is available on the Mardi Gras for over $20 🙂

There is always the possibility of that happening, but if it did, it is always just an option to purchase, you're not obligated to make that purchase.

It would also be in alignment with the other mainstream cruise lines.  Celebrity has drinks over the limit of their premium package and so does Royal.

23 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Is it?  Is the point to get the absolute most out of a program or rather to drink responsibly and enjoy your cruise without having to worry about individual costs of drinks?

I guess that would depend on the individual, wouldn't it? 

Why not explore drinks that you're unfamiliar with when not having to worry about individual cost of drinks? 

Do you suggest not trying new drinks with the package in fear of drinking irresponsibly?

13 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I will bet you one $30 drink that a new drink is available on the Mardi Gras for over $20 🙂

There may be a new venue on the Mardi Gras that has one (I can conceptually see Alchemy doing one), but even if true, we have seen nothing yet and the trend for the VAST majority the answer is certainly no.

48 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

I guess that would depend on the individual, wouldn't it? 

Why not explore drinks that you're unfamiliar with when not having to worry about individual cost of drinks? 

Do you suggest not trying new drinks with the package in fear of drinking irresponsibly?

I agree. In my opinion if you're not using it to try drinks and liquors that you wouldn't get in a bar at home you're missing out.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

There may be a new venue on the Mardi Gras that has one (I can conceptually see Alchemy doing one), but even if true, we have seen nothing yet and the trend for the VAST majority the answer is certainly no.

While you may be right, I just don't believe it makes any sense to lower the limit to $20 for no reason. That removes a huge perception that you get "any drink up to $50 for free". 

20 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

My drink of choice is a Long Island Iced Tea (no tequila).

If I request, will they make it with Gray Goose, Bacardi rum, Bombay Sapphire Gin, and Grand Marnier ?

When we asked the bartenders said they have to use the pre-mixed Long Island Ice Tea mixture.  I'm assuming they use the rot-gut stuff for that because it was awful!  Missed not ordering my top-shelf Long Islands.  NCL had the same policy!

On 4/3/2019 at 7:25 AM, mdsgu said:

I'm a bit cynical.  Yes, the $50 limit was a marketing ploy.  But they could now introduce $25 and $30 "specialty" drinks at, say, Alchemy and the steakhouse bar.  You could buy them with Cheers, "only" paying the price difference (plus gratuity) on each.  NCL already does this -- and their drinks are all grossly over-priced.  In, fact, NCL's infuriatingly-priced all-inclusive drink package is $99pp/pd (but most people get it "free" as a promo) and only includes drinks up to $15.  Now, they have an even better package -- everything included -- for $128pp/pd plus gratuity.

If you're reading this, Carnival, don't follow in NCL's footsteps!

NCL's "Free" obligates you to pay gratuity and NCL's gratuity is higher than Carnival's.

The Grey Goose VX is awesome and we drink it all week with Cheers. It is great just with club soda and a lime. It's also amazing with a sugar free rockstar. And we even have them substitute it when we order a vodka based drink from the Alchemy Bar. Enjoy!! 🙂

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

While you may be right, I just don't believe it makes any sense to lower the limit to $20 for no reason. That removes a huge perception that you get "any drink up to $50 for free". 

Well I have been wrong before, today even.....so who really knows

57 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

What is the most expensive drink on the ship ?  I can't imagine a drink costing $20 or more.

18 minutes ago, FlaMommy75 said:

The Grey Goose VX is awesome and we drink it all week with Cheers. It is great just with club soda and a lime. It's also amazing with a sugar free rockstar. And we even have them substitute it when we order a vodka based drink from the Alchemy Bar. Enjoy!! 🙂

Based upon my first hand experience on the Horizon last August, the most expensive drink I saw was at the Alchemy Bar when Grey Goose VX was used.  I was charged 20.00 and it was covered by Cheers.

2 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

Missed not ordering my top-shelf Long Islands. 

The regular bars are manned by bartenders that have to usually follow the rules and not go off course and customize things.

There is a difference with the mixologists at the Alchemy Bar, who can customize things and since they would have all of the top shelf items for your LIT, that would be the place to go.  It would cost more than the premixed junk, but still easily covered by Cheers.

37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:
  4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

There is a reason for lowering the limit. The package only costs $52 a day and has a 15 drink limit. If someone ordered 15 $50 drinks then they would be losing money.

35 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

There is a reason for lowering the limit. The package only costs $52 a day and has a 15 drink limit. If someone ordered 15 $50 drinks then they would be losing money.

There was supposedly a 25.00 glass of wine that some of the steakhouses used to have.  There has never been something priced between 25-50 that Cheers would have covered.  Even if someone ordered 15 Grey Goose VX drinks at the Alchemy Bar, which would have a retail price of 300.00, Carnival's cost would still be covered by the 51.95 or 56.95 paid by the consumer.

Edited by SNJCruisers