One entree or two?

LB_NJ

Oh my, that is the height of inconsideration!  We like to share but fortunately we have never been abused that way.

And while I have a large appetite and the figure to prove it, I couldn't possibly consume 5 appetizers and a main!  Did they have dessert as well?

I'm surprised they were seated after you had ordered.  I don't think they'd have done that in the GDR -- but in a specialty when you have reservations, I can see where it would be different.  Even so, they should have attempted to seat them elsewhere.

We showed up for our 7:30 reservation on Riviera last May and were told our shared reservation had been for 6:30.  It never had been but someone the records got twisted.  We offered to come back another night but they found a table for two for us.  It wasn't in the best location, but it was a table!

Mura

we  had  a table for 7 once   5 of us  sat & waited 30 minutes  but the others were  a no show 

we finally ask to be served  & if the others showed up we never knew about it

I would think once you ordered the others should be seated elsewhere

JMO

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, Rob the Cruiser said:

As shocking as it may seem, we usually drop a few pounds when we are on a cruise. The extra walking due to shore excursions, stairs and many, many laps around the track and the cabin decks does the trick. ( We also avoid Afternoon Tea and all those tasty-looking treats.)

We loved the tea on Riviera. I really recommend it. Just ask for 1 "savory" & 1 "sweet". Sit back & enjoy the tea, music & fellow guests.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, LB_NJ said:

I have a question about the MDR.  New to Oceania.

Some cruise lines are starting to charge for a second entrée in the MDR.

Every so often I would like to try a second entrée or possibly get an appetizer size of another entrée on the menu, or more than one appetizer.

What is Oceania's policy on this in the MDR?

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, LB_NJ said:

Every so often I would like to try a second entrée or possibly get an appetizer size of another entrée on the menu, or more than one appetizer.

First off we normally only do a table for 2. Being a gay couple, we've been seated with some less than sympathetic pax(nothing nasty, just the feeling of comfortableness) We'll sometimes request a second dish. My spouse calls it "for the table" uhh, huh, right! Oceania will always strive to satisfy, so there should be no trouble at all for anyone asking for more

We were sailing on Renaissance before Oceania came into being, and even there it was possible to ask for extra anythings.  It's always been the policy on any of our sailings on O.

The question is:  how much food can you eat?

Someone suggested earlier -- I'm not sure if it was on this thread or another one running at the same time -- you can also ask for appetizer sized portions if you want to sample different dishes but not have to waddle out of the restaurant!

Since Oceania doesn't charge for the specialty restaurants (except for two super-specialty restaurants on the "O" ships) I don't think they are contemplating charging for extra plates in the GDR.

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, Paulchili said:

Oceania will accommodate just about any reasonable request.

My personal opinion on this matter - order as much as you wish as long as you do not waste food.

That's one of my personal bugaboos anyway.  Bob and I share almost every meal we eat out.  It's simply too much food.  And 'Americans' certainly hold the record for wasting food.  If you take the food, then eat the dang food.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:47 PM, keithm said:

Being a gay couple, we've been seated with some less than sympathetic pax

Being a card-carrying, take no prisoners liberal I fear someone, well, you know,...someone unlike me.  

On 4/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, Waynetor said:

While I see nothing wrong with ordering an extra item, if sharing a table please be considerate of table mates.  

We had a shared table in Toscana once and the other couple showed up 15 minutes late.  We had already ordered by then. They proceeded to go over the menu in great detail and then ordered 5 starters plus a main each.  We were told that we had to wait until they were having their main until our main would be served.

I hope good conversation filled in the gaps...

2 hours ago, clo said:

Being a card-carrying, take no prisoners liberal I fear someone, well, you know,...someone unlike me.  

Actually, we're both fairly conservative. We had a lot more in common then they would think. It's just some knot heads just can't get past the "gay thing"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keithm said:

Actually, we're both fairly conservative. We had a lot more in common then they would think. It's just some knot heads just can't get past the "gay thing"

Oh, what I meant was if WE were seated with uber-conservatives.  I moved to San Francisco in the 70s while still in my 20s so the "gay thing" is one more bigotry among too many.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, LB_NJ said:

Eat as much as you can or want.   I often order 2 soups, 2-3 appetizers, 2-3 entrees, and 3-4 deserts.  Never a problem.   I eat alone, as I prefer.

Enjoy your cruise.. and you food.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

9 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Eat as much as you can or want.   I often order 2 soups, 2-3 appetizers, 2-3 entrees, and 3-4 deserts.  Never a problem.   I eat alone, as I prefer.

Enjoy your cruise.. and you food.

And you eat all of that?!?!  Wow!

40 minutes ago, clo said:

And you eat all of that?!?!  Wow!

Yes.  I usually eat all that I order.   But, sometimes  I just want to sample something on the menu that sounds interesting.  Or I order small portions of an entree.   Oceania is known for the best cuisine at sea.   No kidding, IMO it is.   I enjoy the cuisine on Oceania.  It’s that  good.   😀

Have fun on your cruise, and eat to your heart’s content!👍

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Yes.  I usually eat all that I order.   But, sometimes  I just want to sample something on the menu that sounds interesting.  Or I order small portions of an entree.   Oceania is known for the best cuisine at sea.   No kidding, IMO it is.   I enjoy the cuisine on Oceania.  It’s that  good.   😀

Have fun on your cruise, and eat to your heart’s content!👍

I was just looking at the menu for Jacques.  We'll get one res for each of the four specialty restaurants and I understand we can trade some.  We want to go to Jacques twice and just share a bunch of apps.  We're getting where we just don't want a whole lot of food at one meal...and I LOATHE waste.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/1705/Jacques-Dinner-Menu.pdf

With only one at-sea day I doubt we'll do lunch on board much if at all so buffets aren't likely in our lineup.

Thanks for your replies 🙂

The Main Dining room is frequently open on port days. Just in case you don't venture far from the ship. Occasionally it will be closed on port days. I hope that doesn't become standard practice. That would make it more like regular mass market lines. 

• Like 1

The GDR was closed on all port days except 1 on our last cruise. That one day it was open, we had a 1:00 departure.

We ate in the GDR, at lunch, on one of our two sea days. The other we ate in Waves. The GDR was near empty on that day. They had 8-10 guests scattered throughout the entire area! More staff than eaters! Extremely logical that they close on port days, if that’s all they were getting on sea days. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1