EQ Drydock Affected By Oasis Accident?

helen haywood

I have been following the accident at the shipyard in Freeport with the Oasis.  I know Oasis was only scheduled to be there briefly as her next cruise was April 7.  The accident has resulted in Royal canceling her next three cruises.  Now it seems the dock facility she was at may be damaged in addition to her perhaps not vacating on the original schedule.

I wondered if that could affect Equinox’s scheduled refurb in May?  I have no idea what dock in Freeport Equinox was to use.  I just wondered as I’m assuming the dock was scheduled with a full schedule and if Oasis knocked that out of whack and things get postponed in order of precedence how things will transpire.

6 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I have been following the accident at the shipyard in Freeport with the Oasis.  I know Oasis was only scheduled to be there briefly as her next cruise was April 7.  The accident has resulted in Royal canceling her next three cruises.  Now it seems the dock facility she was at may be damaged in addition to her perhaps not vacating on the original schedule.

I wondered if that could affect Equinox’s scheduled refurb in May?  I have no idea what dock in Freeport Equinox was to use.  I just wondered as I’m assuming the dock was scheduled with a full schedule and if Oasis knocked that out of whack and things get postponed in order of precedence how things will transpire.

This is a really good question.  I keep hoping someone can access the schedule for the shipyard or confirm if the other large dry dock has the lifting capacity for the Equinox.

Oasis is traveling to Spain to get the remaining work done then will resume sailings from Barcelona.  I'm hoping that this extensive drydock for Equinox would have some priority at the shipyard since I'm sure a lot of the materials are already being staged there.

• Like 3

A poster on the huge thread on the RCI board, that I gather was a ship's engineer (or something similar) back in the day, said he thought with the other docks available, some commercial ships might be moved elsewhere at the port and Equinox should be able to go on as planned with the dry dock.

We are on the June 1st sailing so I hope X lets us know ASAP if anything changes with the schedule.

32 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Wondering about this too.  Is the dock itself damaged?  If not other ships shouldn't be affected.  

Yes the dry dock sustained some damage, at least one wall appears to be bent inward and they are missing a crane.

• Thanks 1

It looks like Oasis moved out of the dry dock, to another berth at the shipyard.  At least it showed speed and a position change on marine traffic website.

They probably needed to get it out of there to assess the damage to the dock, and also to see if Oasis had the azipods damaged.

Grand Bahama Shipyard has 25 cruise ship dry docks scheduled this year, with three of them scheduled to last a month.

i would be a little nervous if I had the first cruise scheduled on Equinox after dry dock.

With 6-7 more Oasis size or larger cruise ships on order plus the many large container ships it would seem it is time for this shipyard or some ship yard on the east coast to build a dry dock large enough to properly service The ships.  Nit is crazy there is none on this side of the pond.  

7 hours ago, volk904 said:

With 6-7 more Oasis size or larger cruise ships on order plus the many large container ships it would seem it is time for this shipyard or some ship yard on the east coast to build a dry dock large enough to properly service The ships.  Nit is crazy there is none on this side of the pond.  

There will never be a new drydock, or even much increase in commercial ship repair facilities on the East Coast of the US for the simple reason that costs would double, at a minimum, over doing the job anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere, and significantly cheaper even in Europe than in the US.  I believe that there are only two floating drydocks in the world that could handle the Oasis class, and both of these are in South Korea.  This means that any new dock would be a graving dock, with the financial costs of buying land to dig a big hole in the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There will never be a new drydock, or even much increase in commercial ship repair facilities on the East Coast of the US for the simple reason that costs would double, at a minimum, over doing the job anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere, and significantly cheaper even in Europe than in the US.  I believe that there are only two floating drydocks in the world that could handle the Oasis class, and both of these are in South Korea.  This means that any new dock would be a graving dock, with the financial costs of buying land to dig a big hole in the ground.

So, what do you think the chances are that the EQ will be affected by this? I'm on the June 1 sailing too.

12 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

So, what do you think the chances are that the EQ will be affected by this? I'm on the June 1 sailing too.

It's hard to say.  I think dock #3 can handle Equinox, but I don't know the shipyards schedule for that dock in the upcoming months, and if there is sufficient pushback of cargo ship dockings they may look to go elsewhere since the container lines and tanker companies are not part owners of the yard, and there are statutory time limits on when a ship needs to be docked.  The cruise lines, in addition to being owners of GBSY, are the top revenue, so I would think the yard will prioritize for these ships.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It's hard to say.  I think dock #3 can handle Equinox, but I don't know the shipyards schedule for that dock in the upcoming months, and if there is sufficient pushback of cargo ship dockings they may look to go elsewhere since the container lines and tanker companies are not part owners of the yard, and there are statutory time limits on when a ship needs to be docked.  The cruise lines, in addition to being owners of GBSY, are the top revenue, so I would think the yard will prioritize for these ships.

Thank you for coming over and posting here--as you probably realized, you are very knowledgeable person I was referring to in my earlier post (and I hope I conveyed your information correctly--that was such a long thread on RCI!) 🙂  I  learn a lot from your posts on the various boards!