New Elevator System?

CruzerDeb

CruzerDeb- the new elevator system on the newest ships are buttonless on the interior. Apparently what happens is on the panel in front of the elevator, you select what floor you want to go to, and how many riders. Then the system tells you which elevator to get on, to take you directly to your destination floor.

The complaint I've heard from most is that the process is slow, people don't understand how it works and get on the first elevator they see with an open door, then have issues when they can't press a button to stop at the floor they want.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll see for myself how hard/slow/irritating it really is in 72 days when we sail on the Vista. From what I heard, they've replaced the glass elevators in the atrium with these new 'automated' elevators. I'm not sure exactly where they're located on Vista and Horizon- I don't think they're in the atrium like the glass ones were.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

JennyB1977 great video! Thanks for posting!

Does anyone know if this new process is in place for all the elevators on Vista & Horizon, or just certain ones?

Every elevator on Horizon is part of the new system.  It worked quite well for me, and I used the elevators a lot to get from my cove balcony on deck 2 up to Lido or higher to Serenity (and vice versa).

We were just on the Horizon and we know how to use the elevators. There was much frustration as many people did not. Nowhere did we see outside the elevators any instruction to tell them to press the button for each person.

46 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

CruzerDeb- the new elevator system on the newest ships are buttonless on the interior. Apparently what happens is on the panel in front of the elevator, you select what floor you want to go to, and how many riders. Then the system tells you which elevator to get on, to take you directly to your destination floor.

The complaint I've heard from most is that the process is slow, people don't understand how it works and get on the first elevator they see with an open door, then have issues when they can't press a button to stop at the floor they want.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll see for myself how hard/slow/irritating it really is in 72 days when we sail on the Vista. From what I heard, they've replaced the glass elevators in the atrium with these new 'automated' elevators. I'm not sure exactly where they're located on Vista and Horizon- I don't think they're in the atrium like the glass ones were.

They haven't "replaced" the glass elevators in the atrium...they just shrunk the atrium all together.   There are no elevators that go all the way up to the top floors there anymore because there is a ceiling now.

I very much dislike the new elevator system--was just on the horizon with them.  The elevators took forever to arrive.   Kids still messed with the system by pushing the outside panels that made the elevators stop at many floors that had nobody waiting.   This I assume contributed to the fact that the took forever to arrive when you are waiting for one.     We only had it arrive once in a timely fashion.   Many people gave up waiting and decided to take the stairs (which I also think caused the elevators to open to nobody standing there).

You also have no idea if they are coming and from what floor, since there is no indicator anymore either as to where the elevator is.

Just booked our next cruise on the Breeze---sticking to that category as I love the Atrium, glass elevators and large theater.

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ddloml said:

Every elevator on Horizon is part of the new system.  It worked quite well for me, and I used the elevators a lot to get from my cove balcony on deck 2 up to Lido or higher to Serenity (and vice versa).

Great- anyone know if every elevator on Vista is part of the system? Based on Erikup's post saying he's been on Vista twice and never saw these elevators, I'm guessing not?

1 minute ago, bingomamma19 said:

They haven't "replaced" the glass elevators in the atrium...they just shrunk the atrium all together.   There are no elevators that go up there anymore because there is a ceiling now.

Understood. That's why I said 'I'm not sure exactly where they're located on Vista and Horizon- I don't think they're in the atrium like the glass ones were.'

4 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Understood. That's why I said 'I'm not sure exactly where they're located on Vista and Horizon- I don't think they're in the atrium like the glass ones were.'

They are every elevator on both the vista and horizon.   There are no traditional elevators on those ships

sorry about misunderstanding your post...this is what it said..

"From what I heard, they've replaced the glass elevators in the atrium with these new 'automated' elevators."

Edited by bingomamma19

1 minute ago, bingomamma19 said:

They are every elevator on both the vista and horizon.   There are no traditional elevators on those ships

Good to know- thanks! Probably a good thing, so I can walk off a few more Guys Burgers on the stairs!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

That's not what's happening on Vista. That's what I remember reading they installed but if so they've changed it since then. Now what they have is certain elevators that go to certain floors. Instead of glass elevators they just have an extra set of elevators in the forward elevator lobby. The problem is if I'm on a floor that all elevators go to..and I'm going to another floor that all elevators go to....I have to press three buttons to have a chance at all possible elevators. The elevators frequently stop on floors where nobody is waiting for one because a person hit all three buttons, got on one elevator, and now an elevator from each of the other two sets will need to stop on that floor.

They need to go back to the system that was originally installed in vista. I've used it in hotels and it works great.

453AC0EF-96BE-4D54-9C59-D03F4A293ECA.thumb.jpeg.1d27df58d3c92cd613b53e4c6b8423a4.jpegFF88536E-70D2-4CA2-9E7A-8685E3E5EC2B.thumb.jpeg.37ce554894f5e7fc209ad0458d4ba33c.jpeg5DAED214-A355-40F8-A5F2-695518178C69.thumb.jpeg.7a626071c1e89b47b04266f79af01d46.jpegB50E2E16-E04F-49E2-A9A2-AA4BCDA47CFE.thumb.jpeg.8144604b9bf0030b1b3571f5656bbd68.jpeg67C75409-4B42-41F8-BC67-AB34ABAC65D0.thumb.jpeg.a6b1c1008d6032e7632a00e811b9eb7c.jpegB5D56F6B-3E79-46BA-A6E6-022BAA59BBF9.thumb.jpeg.3484f9c55b5f08fbbca85c3fe3e29478.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Thanks Greg- I remembered this from your Vista review as soon as I saw your post... (I have a great memory, it's just short!)

And I believe that's only on the forward. I believe mid and aft were just regular. My room was forward so that's primarily what I used.

1 hour ago, crusinpsychRN said:

Sounds odd to me.

I quite agree. And UN-necessary too

What was so broken with the old regular system?

So you have to wait while you're on your hurried cruise??

I can't believe this rigmarole(below) as quoted above! LOL!

Is this a leftover April Fools Joke? -seriously!

This is just hi-tech bollox for the sake of hi-tech bollox, isn't it!

Apparently what happens is ...

on the panel in front of the elevator,

you select what floor you want to go to, and how many riders.

Then the system tells you which elevator to get on,

to take you directly to your destination floor.

The complaint I've heard from most is that the process is slow,

people don't understand how it works

and get on the first elevator they see with an open door,

then have issues when they can't press a button to stop at the floor they want.

Just now, Saint Greg said:

And I believe that's only on the forward. I believe mid and aft were just regular. My room was forward so that's primarily what I used.

Oh well, that is different than the horizon then...I had read the vista was the same as horizon.

We just got off the Horizon last week...no buttons outside or inside...just a panel outside that looks like an ipad..you push it to light it up and pick your floor.  Then you wait...and wait...and wait  LOL     All elevators on the Horizon are this way.  

Anything to keep us guessing :):) 

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

The elevator system works great,,, unless your the one whos internal elevator doesn't go to the top.

Not for us it didn't on the horizon....and by the amount of complaints we heard every day by other cruisers...not for them either.

But I wont book on that class anymore..so no worries here.   Just switched next years cruise to the Breeze--my favorite class of ship on  Carnival.