Aft Wrap or Ocean Suite?

cloudninecat

Premium Vista Balcony (aft wrap) or Ocean Suite, which would you choose and why? 

We're looking into our next cruise and I haven't tried either yet. We have an aft wrap booked for our Nov 2020 cruise and are looking at April 2021 for our next and I realized we could get a suite for around the same as what the aft wraps would cost. I'd like to knock a suite off my cruising bucket list but I'm not a big fan of the side of the ship balconies. Is the suite really worth it?                  

Edited by cloudninecat
Year correction

I am not sure of the ships you are looking at, but we always choose an aft wrap/vista view on the Spirit class of ships. They have separate rooms, whirlpool tubs, a walk in closet, a huge dressing area, double sinks, 7 floor to ceiling windows, and the best views in the fleet. For the price of a Carnival vista view on these ships, you can’t find anything comparably priced or sized on other cruise lines. That 180 degree view off the back of the ship, combined with the sound of the wake are priceless to us! To me, it seems like the big advantage to the suites would be they can sleep more people. 

• Like 1

We're looking to go to San Juan on this cruise so I'm just looking at those ships that go there. It doesn't look like any of them are Spirit Class. From the sound of it, it might be best for me to wait and book a suite when I can book on a ship that has them in the back of the ship. We're spoiled with the aft view balconies. 

My two fav types of rooms, the aft wrap is especially good if you really enjoy the balcony, seeing the churn of the props and more.  The OS is more about what is inside, does the tub and larger bath area do it for you as well as the extra space inside.  We go back and forth on these two all the time (had aft wrap on our last cruise on Breeze and have Ocean suite on next on Sunrise in July.

• Like 1

I would say it depends on where you want the space to be.  The OS is a large cabin with couch/seating area, nice large bathroom and dressing area.  Stayed in one on Glory with 2 others on a girls' trip.  We enjoyed having the space in the cabin.   9C aft wrap cabins have a regular sized (and sometimes oddly shaped) cabin.   Also, not all 9C are created equal. . . we were next to one on Carnival Dream and the balcony was smaller than on the Conquest class ships.   On the newer ships (not refits like Sunshine and Sunrise) the 9C overlooks the Havana area.

We are booked in a 9C on Sunrise very soon.   

The VS on Spirit class ships as described above are very nice too with lots of space inside and outside.   

If you're not platinum+ or buying FTTF, the OS will get you priority boarding if that is important to you.  The 9C will not get that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

I would say it depends on where you want the space to be....   

If you're not platinum+ or buying FTTF, the OS will get you priority boarding if that is important to you.  The 9C will not get that.

I'm partial to the balcony as I usually sleep out there when the weather is good. I do like the thought of more space on the inside as well but I don't know if I want to sacrifice the balcony for it. The side balconies are really skinny to me. Barely enough room to move let on sleep out there. Plus they usually don't have a lounger and that's what I sleep in. 

Not platinum yet. I'll turn gold on the next cruise. We just started cruising in Dec 2016. We do usually buy FTTF. I haven't done a cruise without it so I don't know what it's like to not have it.  Priority boarding would be a perk I'd enjoy not having to pay for but I also like having the shorter guest services line and the early room availability which I understand isn't a perk of the suite. 

4 hours ago, cloudninecat said:

The side balconies are really skinny to me. Barely enough room to move let on sleep out there. Plus they usually don't have a lounger and that's what I sleep in.

I understand the decision is hard.  Like Jimbo, these are my two favourite types of cabins (although I've only been fortunate enough to snag an AFT Wrap once, it was the BEST!). 

I just wanted to let you know, in case you weren't aware, the balcony of an OS is considerably larger than that of the typical Balcony cabin.  Although it is still "skinny", it is much longer.  There is room for a lounger in addition to two chairs out there.  If you go with the OS and don't have a lounger on your balcony upon embarkation, just ask your Room Steward to bring you one.  It has worked perfectly for me each time I did this.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cloudninecat said:

IWe do usually buy FTTF. I haven't done a cruise without it so I don't know what it's like to not have it.  Priority boarding would be a perk I'd enjoy not having to pay for but I also like having the shorter guest services line and the early room availability which I understand isn't a perk of the suite. 

Whenever I have gotten an ocean suite, the room was always ready when I boarded. I am by no means an expert, but I think suites get most, if not all of the FTTF perks. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will clarify. 

Edited by thenexus2k

19 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

The Spirit Class ships are: Spirit, Miracle, Pride, and Legend.  The Legend goes to San Juan once in awhile. I am guessing for the dates you want that you will be looking at some bigger ships. 

We're on the east coast too so that makes a difference which ships we can look at. The closer the port is to us the better since we drive to port. I haven't flown since before 911. I know someday I will fly again because a trip to Europe is on my bucket list but it's not something I'm looking forward to doing anytime soon. The Pride when it's docked in Baltimore is the closet port but I don't see any going to San Juan during the dates I'm looking at. 

It seems like an aft wrap with purchasing FTTF would be best for you.  You enjoy the balcony of the aft wrap.  Also, you get more perks with FTTF than suites.  As someone already mentioned, the lower deck the aft wrap is, the larger it is. 

• Like 1

Booked an Ocean Suite for my next cruise which I have never sailed in before but been in aft wrap balcony cabins many times. Got to say I would be more excited for my aft cabin then the ocean suite. I love the back of the ship especially the very very large balcony and the view can't be beat. Much quieter in the back With that said it is hard to say what you would like there is pluses with both cabins, you just have to decide which you want more. Which ever one you pic I'm sure you will love

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Usually the lower the floor the bigger the balcony (and room) on aft wraps.  Usually the first category to sell out.  

I never found that to be true been in all the floors and found that the higher up the longer the balcony is. We found the room bigger on Upper deck but was the smallest balcony, and the veranda deck has the biggest and longest balcony. That is the one that we always try to get plus it has a side balcony that is covered

2 hours ago, mafiadon said:

Booked an Ocean Suite for my next cruise which I have never sailed in before but been in aft wrap balcony cabins many times. Got to say I would be more excited for my aft cabin then the ocean suite. I love the back of the ship especially the very very large balcony and the view can't be beat. Much quieter in the back With that said it is hard to say what you would like there is pluses with both cabins, you just have to decide which you want more. Which ever one you pic I'm sure you will love

I'd love just being on the ocean again but yes I have to say I love those big balconies, the sound of the wake and the views. I think I'll wait and knock the OS off my list when I can get one that's also an aft balcony. 

The aft wrap on deck 4 for the Miracle has a vibration that pretty much lasts all day and night.  I will never book that again.  Not sure if it's all ships back there or just that ship but our wine glasses in the bar were clanking together many times so we just had them removed.  We loved the cabin with the separate living room from the bedroom and the larger balcony but the vibration was just so very annoying.

I would vote for the aft wrap.  Vibration might be a problem sometimes but  worth it in my opinion.  Unfortunately,  finding any of these cabins available can be a challenge.  Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:05 AM, cloudninecat said:

Premium Vista Balcony (aft wrap) or Ocean Suite, which would you choose and why? 

We're looking into our next cruise and I haven't tried either yet. We have an aft wrap booked for our Nov 2020 cruise and are looking at April 2021 for our next and I realized we could get a suite for around the same as what the aft wraps would cost. I'd like to knock a suite off my cruising bucket list but I'm not a big fan of the side of the ship balconies. Is the suite really worth it?                  

I would choose an aft extended balcony, or the wrap, over the suite.  

‘The aft extended balcony was everything for me that cruising embodies, it was almost spiritual.  Lol.  80A0818D-76EF-4F4A-9ECE-B2EEBDD788FF.thumb.jpeg.5b73ee1046b809e479a1c67dd07299e3.jpeg

A72E7181-B150-4221-B6AF-F437D5AF1E7E.thumb.jpeg.dd2fd867fd79595d5fe1b5786f7c23e4.jpeg

• Like 2