Summit inside cabins...new to Celebrity.

Disfan5

So, this is my first time on Celebrity.  We have been on lots of cruises....Carnival, NCL, RCCL, and Disney (husband and Mother-in-law have been on Holland America, and Oceania)  and we are looking forward to trying something new.

Does anyone stay in the inside cabins?  I've seen lots of info about the Pent House, and all the suites, and the retreat and the special restaurants,  but what about the "regular" people?

We will have me, my husband, mother-in-law and teenage son.  I know it is going to be tight with all of us, but we have done it before.  Looking forward to the new look, even though we have nothing to compare it to.

How does everyone like the MDR?  Should we do the set time dining or anytime?  How is the buffet in the evening?  How dressy is everyone on regular nights?

What is the "not to miss" dessert?  What is your favorite entree?  What's the best pizza?

Any suggestions on cruising Celebrity style would be greatly welcomed!

• Like 2

@Disfan5, I won't be sailing until August of next year, but my family and I are booked in a pair of inside cabins. Just made the most sense at the time, given the high cost for this particular sailing (a 14-night transatlantic by way of Canada, Greenland, and Iceland) and the fact that it's so port-intensive (only 6 sea days) that we probably won't be in the room much. It was made a smidge easier when I saw that on Summit, the cabin space for interior, ocean view, and verandah rooms is exactly the same -- 170 sq ft; all you're paying extra for in terms of the cabin is the porthole or balcony space.

Full disclosure, I wanted to put all four of us in a suite or at least a Family Verandah for this sailing; it's a 50th birthday cruise and I wanted to splurge on myself, even knowing we wouldn't have that many days to enjoy the space. But the cost was soooo much higher that I figured better to go with the insides and save all that money for what I expect to be a huge excursion budget! 😅

11 hours ago, Disfan5 said:

So, this is my first time on Celebrity.  We have been on lots of cruises....Carnival, NCL, RCCL, and Disney (husband and Mother-in-law have been on Holland America, and Oceania)  and we are looking forward to trying something new.

Does anyone stay in the inside cabins?  I've seen lots of info about the Pent House, and all the suites, and the retreat and the special restaurants,  but what about the "regular" people?

We will have me, my husband, mother-in-law and teenage son.  I know it is going to be tight with all of us, but we have done it before.  Looking forward to the new look, even though we have nothing to compare it to.

How does everyone like the MDR?  Should we do the set time dining or anytime?  How is the buffet in the evening?  How dressy is everyone on regular nights?

What is the "not to miss" dessert?  What is your favorite entree?  What's the best pizza?

Can't comment on your cabin situation as there is only the two of us no matter the cabin selection. We always eat in the MDR/Select Dining. We always make early reservations (6:00 PM) for two for SD. Food is too subjective but we feel each evening offers plenty of selections to choose from and we always like what we select. But we don't consider ourselves foodies. We like Celebrity and RC. They are both alike in some areas and unique in others. Call Celebrity's Captains Club (1-800-760-0654) and provide them with your RC Crown and Anchor numbers. 

11 hours ago, Disfan5 said:

Does anyone stay in the inside cabins?  I've seen lots of info about the Pent House, and all the suites, and the retreat and the special restaurants,  but what about the "regular" people?  For some of us time on the ship is more important than the type of cabin.  We would love to stay in higher categories but many of us frugal cruisers can enjoy the sea for twice as long if we give up balconies etc. 

How does everyone like the MDR?  Should we do the set time dining or anytime?  How is the buffet in the evening?  How dressy is everyone on regular nights?  We prefer fixed dining so that we can plan our evening around our caloric intake.  On some evenings when the menu is weak, the buffet is a wonderful alternative.  There are dress code suggestions but you will find many people ignore it other than no shorts in the dining room.  Dressy night for guys means a long sleeved shirt with or without a tie.  Some wear a jacket but suits are now rare.  Women can dress pretty well anyway they want depending on how good you want to look.  My wife and I always want to show appreciation for one another by dressing the way we want to be seen at our best.

What is the "not to miss" dessert?  What is your favorite entree?  What's the best pizza?  Pizza on Summit is the best in the fleet.  However the best choice is always determined by your taste buds.

We're somebody who books the cheapest cabin that gets us the best deal.  On X that's a OV so we get the perks of classic alcohol, OBC and /gratuities (which are covered by our TA).  Other than that, we choose an inside cabin.  And years ago, we did sail on the Summit in an inside cabin.

Honestly, I don't remember ANYTHING A about it that was different than any other inside cabin.  And the only insides that I remember as *different* were HAL because they are large and RCCL because they were tiny (its been years since we did RCCL, so maybe its changed.)

We enjoy inside cabins.  But even thinking about having four people in there gives me hives.

Pizza?  I think ANY pizza that's been sitting under heat lamps is lousy pizza - and that includes all cruise ships and Costco.

My DH and I are sailing on the Summit next Sat & it will be our 1st Celebrity cruise. Also our 1st Caribbean cruise.

We are staying in a verenda cabin. 

Can you rent snorkeling gear on the ship?

Are ship leaves at 8:30 pm what time is embarkation? Are hotel check out is probably 11:00 am so I'm hoping we can get start the process 11:30-12:00.

Thanks for any info

8 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

We're somebody who books the cheapest cabin that gets us the best deal.  On X that's a OV so we get the perks of classic alcohol, OBC and /gratuities (which are covered by our TA).  Other than that, we choose an inside cabin.  And years ago, we did sail on the Summit in an inside cabin.

Honestly, I don't remember ANYTHING A about it that was different than any other inside cabin.  And the only insides that I remember as *different* were HAL because they are large and RCCL because they were tiny (its been years since we did RCCL, so maybe its changed.)

We enjoy inside cabins.  But even thinking about having four people in there gives me hives.

Pizza?  I think ANY pizza that's been sitting under heat lamps is lousy pizza - and that includes all cruise ships and Costco.

I loved the pizza on HAL

11 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My DH and I are sailing on the Summit next Sat & it will be our 1st Celebrity cruise. Also our 1st Caribbean cruise.

We are staying in a verenda cabin. 

Can you rent snorkeling gear on the ship?

Are ship leaves at 8:30 pm what time is embarkation? Are hotel check out is probably 11:00 am so I'm hoping we can get start the process 11:30-12:00.

Thanks for any info

In January we were at the Port about 10:45 and they opened the doors about 11. Had my sparkling wine in hand and first one in the buffet by 11:20. ( They opened a few minutes early) 

I saw snorkeling equipment at shore excursions on a display but don't know if they were for sale or rent. We took our own. I had invested in the new full face mask and they are THE BEST THING I ever bought. So much easier and comfortable. 

9 hours ago, youwash said:

In January we were at the Port about 10:45 and they opened the doors about 11. Had my sparkling wine in hand and first one in the buffet by 11:20. ( They opened a few minutes early) 

I saw snorkeling equipment at shore excursions on a display but don't know if they were for sale or rent. We took our own. I had invested in the new full face mask and they are THE BEST THING I ever bought. So much easier and comfortable. 

Thanks for the info. This is our first time snorkeling so I decided to use the equipment offered by the excursion companies. I was tempted to buy our own.

I just saw were going on a boat ride to a beach that has a lagoon where we can do some snorkeling. No equipment is being provided.

My husband and I stayed in an inside cabin on Equinox for our honeymoon. Neither of us felt we were missing out, and we weren’t interested in paying more. We were only really in the cabin to sleep, get ready, and...well it WAS our honeymoon. But there are plenty of people who don’t mind an inside cabin. 

I prefer fixed dining and the later time works well for me. We had a bit of a fiasco the last night when we did anytime (on Royal). 

• Like 1

We sail frequently in inside cabins.

The Summit recently went thru a renovation.

Unfortunately the closet space was reduced !!!

Definitely would NOT recommend 4 people in the same inside cabin.

There are many connecting insides at the front of the ship.

We have done that MANY times for a month or more at a time.

The other issue is the pullman berth.

Many think normal Celebrity beds are hard.

The pullman is like sleeping on the floor !!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

And years ago, we did sail on the Summit in an inside cabin.

Honestly, I don't remember ANYTHING A about it that was different than any other inside cabin.

I believe some inside cabins are "vertical" rather than "horizontal" in relation to port/starboard cabins. ie run bow to stern.

Thanks for all the replies.  It's nice to know we are not the only people that book the "cheap seats".  I would rather stay in an inside and go on more cruises.    My husband is the one that is usually in the cabin more.  He likes it cold and dark, so we call him the caveman.  

I will be sure call the Captains Club about our status on RCCL.  I know my Mother-in-law is probably up there....she is diamond on carnival, but the rest of us are only platinum. 

You probably want to check if there are inside cabin the sleeps four still available. Otherwise, you may need two cabins. When we booked the veranda 1A for 4 people originally, I regretted not adding an inside cabin instead of adding two more people in the veranda as the cost was about the same. Then we upgraded to Concierge and there is obviously no concierge inside cabin. So having all four in one room allows us to have embarkation lunch and check-in together.

We already have our cabin booked, so that's not an issue.   I think we just have a regular cabin, but I will check on it.  

Any other advise or tips about Celebrity are welcomed.  

I know on Carnival, we love the Chocolate Melting cake.  Is there any not to miss desserts?

I dont see how you can sleep 4? The sofa enough for one person, we bring our daughter with us.  The beds are fine but cant fit 3 people.  There is no floor space for the 4th person once the sofa is pulled out! Unless its 2 parents and 2 kids, 3 adults and a teenager will not work in a inside...How can celebrity not tell you this. I am very stingy with money and always book inside but there is nooo way this is possible.

All the cruise lines are able to have 4 people per room, including Celebrity.  They have upper berths that fold down from the ceiling.  Kind of like a bunk bed with a ladder at the end.  The room steward can fold it up during the day so it's out of the way.  Some cabins will use the convertible sofa bed and one upper, and some have two upper berths.  One of the NCL ships we were on had one upper and a trundle type bed that was under the regular bed and raised up to be regular height.  It was interesting.

I've seen a few pictures of the upper berths on Celebrity ships.

10 hours ago, fitlove said:

I dont see how you can sleep 4? The sofa enough for one person, we bring our daughter with us.  The beds are fine but cant fit 3 people.  There is no floor space for the 4th person once the sofa is pulled out! Unless its 2 parents and 2 kids, 3 adults and a teenager will not work in a inside...How can celebrity not tell you this. I am very stingy with money and always book inside but there is nooo way this is possible.

As @Disfan5 noted, many of the cabins have either a pair of upper berths that pull down from the ceiling, or one berth and a sofa bed.

And at least on the M class ships, you have the exact same interior cabin space on Interior, Ocean View, and Veranda cabins (170 sq ft). If you want a bigger cabin that holds four, you have to move up to Concierge, Aqua, or Suite class. This is why my family of four is booked in a pair of insides right now (well, that and the fact that I have two daughters; there is no way in Hades I'm sharing one bathroom with three ladies! 😅)

• Haha 1

I do like that the Celebrity cabins are all the same size.  On Carnival, at least on the Breeze, the insides are small (170 sq ft ),  the ocean views (220 sq ft) have more sq footage than the balcony cabins (185 sq ft plus 35 for the balcony) , because the balcony area is part of the room.  It's nice to have that extra space if you don't really need the balcony.  

On 4/7/2019 at 10:08 AM, Disfan5 said:

Thanks for all the replies.  It's nice to know we are not the only people that book the "cheap seats".  I would rather stay in an inside and go on more cruises.    My husband is the one that is usually in the cabin more.  He likes it cold and dark, so we call him the caveman.  

I will be sure call the Captains Club about our status on RCCL.  I know my Mother-in-law is probably up there....she is diamond on carnival, but the rest of us are only platinum. 

If thats the case book the reservation under your Mother-in-laws name you may get a better price.