What camera has the best built-in zoom?

I don't want to bring my good Canon DSLR  a cruise; what camera has the best built-in zoom? The Nikon Coolpix B600 has 60x zoom.  I'd rathr bring something like that which is easier to haul around than a camera and multiple lenses.

What are you defining as the best zoom?

the widest angle or the most telephoto?

the bigger range?

Highest image quality? (Typically, the longer telephoto zoo s have the worst Image quality, far worse than phones, which is why the market for them is dying)

I’d say the best telephoto zoom P&S on the market is the Sony Rx10iv

I would agree about the RX10iv being the current ‘best’ in its category - but that comes at a high price. The Panasonic FZ1000 is a credible alternative, with recent prices of about $500 or so for the first generation.

Small and tiny sensor cameras can provide a ludicrous zoom range. The current example in this category is the Nikon P1000. Over on DPreview there is a recent write up showing both capabilities and limitations.

The best pocketable camera on the market today that combines image quality and a wide zoom range is the Sony RX100 Mark VI. Pricey, but fast with great autofocus, image quality and it really will fit in your pocket. Does excellent video as well.

Dave

Edited by pierces

2 hours ago, fla gang said:

We are thinking about getting the Nikon P900 with 83X zoom. Does anyone have this model?

I’ve seen and tried it. Unless you’re hauling around a tripod and always shooting in bright light, don’t expect to get usable images beyond the first quarter of the range. If you stick to the 1-10x region, you’ll be able to get photos almost as good as a phone. 

On 4/7/2019 at 9:55 PM, donaldsc said:

Until you define your parameters for "best", any answers that we can give you are meaningless.

DONI

🤩I am more concerned with zooming in close, than I am about getting a "wide" perspective.  and I want to spend $500 or less.  I love my dslr but would prefer to not have to switch lenses all the time.  .

Edited by michelletrue

On 4/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, pierces said:

The best pocketable camera on the market today that combines image quality and a wide zoom range is the Sony RX100 Mark VI. Pricey, but fast with great autofocus, image quality and it really will fit in your pocket. Does excellent video as well.

Dave

Thanks Dave, but that's way out of my budget

20 minutes ago, pierces said:

Good - Small - Cheap

Pick any two. 🙂

A sad truth. Good luck in your search.

Dave

For cameras, you can always add 'small' to the list of things that are mutually exclusive. 

If pocketable [small] is not an absolute requirement, I would still recommend taking a look at the Panasonic FZ cameras. Just checked Amazon, and the FZ1000 mark 1 is still available for under $500.

Its smaller sensor cousin the FZ-300 is available for under 400 [longer zoom range; smaller overall size; splash/weatherproof, constant f/2.8 aperture ]. 

Edited by TheOldBear
oops

On 4/7/2019 at 10:16 AM, michelletrue said:

I don't want to bring my good Canon DSLR  a cruise; what camera has the best built-in zoom? The Nikon Coolpix B600 has 60x zoom.  I'd rathr bring something like that which is easier to haul around than a camera and multiple lenses.

I decided I will bring my Canon Rebel T5 and my regular and 70x300 mm lenses after all.  I would ultimately hate myself if I had such a good camera but didn't bring it along to get the best possible photos, including closeups, on a cruise.  I have two 32gig memory cards and I just bought an SD card reader so I can copy all my photos to my iphone (128 gig hard drive), so plenty of room to use it as a backup

I would take a bunch more cards with me. Never wipe them while away.  They are cheap compared to everything else. If you are shooting RAW or video of the whales, more space required.

I would also have a couple of spare batteries, always cycling through the charger. Remember, the charge does not last as long in the cold. 

Yes thanks I’m probably going to get a couple of more memory cards - and I actually do have six batteries and two chargers.If I’m ever out and have gone through all of my batteries in  a day, that I using my iPhone  to take  pictures and videos  ..   I have a couple of backup chargers for it that I always carry with me when I travel