Inside Cabin Question

ak1004

Well said cruise kitty.  👍I can think of a dozen reasons why we prefer to sail in a balcony cabin. The main ones being that we like them, use it a lot, and we can afford it. Insulting people for "wasting their money"  just because this isn't a personal priority is simply rude and thoughtless. As for an inside cabin - I'm claustrophobic. I'd stay home rather than have to stay in one of those.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

Well said cruise kitty.  👍I can think of a dozen reasons why we prefer to sail in a balcony cabin. The main ones being that we like them, use it a lot, and we can afford it. Insulting people for "wasting their money"  just because this isn't a personal priority is simply rude and thoughtless. As for an inside cabin - I'm claustrophobic. I'd stay home rather than have to stay in one of those.

What is wasting money for one person is a smart spending for someone else. As you said, matter of personal priority. Nothing rude or insulting about it. You rather stay home than saying in inside cabin, I couldn't care less which cabin I sleep in as long as it has a comfortable bed and bedding.

Again, I understand people's reasoning, but yes, to me it's a waste of money. I could afford to book a suite, just don't consider it smart. In the same way as many people would consider flying business class a complete waste of money, and yet we do it every time we fly over 6-7 hours.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

What is wasting money for one person is a smart spending for someone else. As you said, matter of personal priority

Indeed. And yet in your previous posting you made a blanket statement that a balcony cabin was a waste of money. Period. Full stop. If you had bothered to qualify this as being YOUR priority in the first instance,  it wouldn't have raised my hackles. 

Enough said. There's a reason why modern cruise ships provide a fairly wide range of accommodations. There is usually something to fit most people's preferences and budgets.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mom says said:

As for an inside cabin - I'm claustrophobic. I'd stay home rather than have to stay in one of those.

Exactly!! We've never cruised in anything but a balcony cabin and, to me, it wouldn't feel like a cruise vacation without being able to hear the ship move through the water in my own piece of paradise; watch the sun rise or pull into port in my PJ's,  enjoy a glass of wine in a robe after a nice shower after a busy port day or just enjoy the peace and quiet, with a good book, on a sea day.

To each their own but we would rather cruise less and enjoy our time aboard in the manner we choose. My vacation time is precious and a balcony is worth the extra $. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We always book inside cabin because we spend very little time in the cabin

If we had an inside cabin, we wouldn’t spend much time there either, but we LOVE our verandah. We have breakfast there, read there, watch sunrise,sunset, look for flying fish, dolphins, or whales. The sound of the waves against the ship is enchanting like the surf at the beach it’s our favorite place to be, AND can be affordable, on our 13 night cruise a balcony guarantee was the same or less than inside and oceanview.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for responding. Definitely some interesting responses, and yes, it's all about choice.

On a related subject, why some cabins are considered to have a "better location" and are more expensive than others, all other factors equal? I understand that you might not want a cabin near elevator due to potential noise from the elevator. Or some veranda cabins might have an obstructed view. But those are cabin specific issues. Why in general higher deck is considered better? Why mid ship is priced differently that alt or forward?

We almost always take an inside and usually it is the same cabin (or one nearby).

We like the 8th deck midship.  When others complain about motion, we are oblivious!

We are probably the only couple we know who still does inside cabins. The size is the same and in the morning, no light seeps through. We have found places around the ship where we like to sit. When my DH is in the cabin, he watches CNBC ad nauseum!

Recently we took some family on a cruise and they wanted a balcony because they were 4 in a room. So, we got them the balcony and we still got the inside for ourselves. If we jump ship to a line that has smaller inside cabins, we will have to spring for a balcony, but so far on Celebrity, an inside suits us fine!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

We almost always take an inside and usually it is the same cabin (or one nearby).

We like the 8th deck midship.  When others complain about motion, we are oblivious!

We are probably the only couple we know who still does inside cabins. The size is the same and in the morning, no light seeps through. We have found places around the ship where we like to sit. When my DH is in the cabin, he watches CNBC ad nauseum!

Recently we took some family on a cruise and they wanted a balcony because they were 4 in a room. So, we got them the balcony and we still got the inside for ourselves. If we jump ship to a line that has smaller inside cabins, we will have to spring for a balcony, but so far on Celebrity, an inside suits us fine!

Well, now you found another couple - us!

Completely agree about the size, and about the morning light. And yes, everything that people mentioned doing on the veranda we do on the deck..

Do you really feel less motion on midship on a 120 ton ship? Or are you sailing on the older and smaller ships?

We took balcony on our upcoming cruise in June, and the only reason was very small price difference (which is very uncommon), plus we are travelling with our daughter. So if she doesn't behave, we put her on the balcony and lock the door..

53 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you everyone for responding. Definitely some interesting responses, and yes, it's all about choice.

On a related subject, why some cabins are considered to have a "better location" and are more expensive than others, all other factors equal? I understand that you might not want a cabin near elevator due to potential noise from the elevator. Or some veranda cabins might have an obstructed view. But those are cabin specific issues. Why in general higher deck is considered better? Why mid ship is priced differently that alt or forward?

Noise from elevator is not a real problem but there may be more traffic in the hallways around it. You should look up the cabin review database and you would see the feedbacks from passengers stayed in different cabins. The higher deck usually have better and less obstructed views. Mid ship is more stable. At the end, it is supply and demand that determines the market value.

3 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

Noise from elevator is not a real problem but there may be more traffic in the hallways around it. You should look up the cabin review database and you would see the feedbacks from passengers stayed in different cabins. The higher deck usually have better and less obstructed views. Mid ship is more stable. At the end, it is supply and demand that determines the market value.

Reviews from passengers will be about specific cabins, and some specific issues related to those cabins. But there are some general guidelines. I understand about the views, but inside cabins on higher decks are also often priced higher (although the difference is usually pretty small).

Are you planning to book again on X?

After your recent multi post thread  indicating  how  unhappy you are  with the Cust Svc, ships, prices etc on X,   it  would surprise  many folks to hear you were still  planning to cruise  on Celebrity or its related brands!

This is an interesting gen  cruise question ( many reasons, many options).   But if you are not going to book on X, if you  post for a cruise line   you  do enjoy ,  you would get more helpful specific info to help your decison making . 

Inside cabins on various ships, pricing , and perks differ from cruise line to cruiseline.. profile indicates Oceania is your preferred.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

The point about motion is a good one. We had an inside cabin on three princess cruises, one Royal, and one Thomson cruise and they were all lower deck, midships, and of course being inside also centre of the ship rather than the outside edge you have with a balcony. They were great in less than great sea conditions with next to no movement felt. 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Are you planning to book again on X?

After your recent multi post thread  indicating  how  unhappy you are  with the Cust Svc, ships, prices etc on X,   it  would surprise  many folks to hear you were still  planning to cruise  on Celebrity or its related brands!

This is an interesting gen  cruise question ( many reasons, many options).   But if you are not going to book on X, if you  post for a cruise line   you  do enjoy ,  you would get more helpful specific info to help your decison making . 

Inside cabins on various ships, pricing , and perks differ from cruise line to cruiseline.. profile indicates Oceania is your preferred.

I'm not sure how my dissatisfaction with per cruise customer service is related to my questions here. We sailed with X twice and are booked on two cruises this June and September. We wouldn't book X if we didn't like it. Currently we started looking for cruises for the next year.

Our decision is based mostly on the itinerary,  then on ship and pricing. Yes, our first choice would be Oceania, or Azamara, but X, Princess, HAL and Cunard are all on the list. And when we travel with our daughters, X and Princess are the only options as I believe Oceania and Azamara are less suited for them.

The bottom line is that I have zero loyalty to any cruise line. I do what is best for me and my family. 

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Well, now you found another couple - us!

Completely agree about the size, and about the morning light. And yes, everything that people mentioned doing on the veranda we do on the deck..

Do you really feel less motion on midship on a 120 ton ship? Or are you sailing on the older and smaller ships?

We took balcony on our upcoming cruise in June, and the only reason was very small price difference (which is very uncommon), plus we are travelling with our daughter. So if she doesn't behave, we put her on the balcony and lock the door..

On the Solstice class, we chose 8th deck midship, rather than 9th forward or aft. On the old ships, we liked the 3rd deck behind the front desk area.

Definitely lower and midship is best.

Or if you don't behave, your daughter can lock the door while you are on the balcony!

Edited by cantstopingcruising

6 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Or if you don't behave, your daughter can lock the door while you are on the balcony!

I doubt it. She is smart and knows who has the credit card..

• Haha 1