Evening room service

crompton21

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The biscuits were a real disappointment. My husband and I tried one bite out of one packet and then no more, they were like sawdust. I liked the ginger ones which were good in rough weather. 

They are indeed.  The packet gives promise that they will be lovely galette-style french biscuits but the reality is far from that.  Its been all down-hill since the demise of the Priory Crumble... 😢😏

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

So that is two of us on the same ship in different cabin grades being told the same thing by two different cabin stewards then - no turn down on day 1.

Thinking about this it is clearly not fleet wide. We were serviced on the first day of both of our back to back cruises, last month on Ventura. I did ask the butler if there had been any change and he said no. In October on Oriana it was exactly the same.

So there appears to be differences between ships.

Having said that, I can see that if it means the cabin steward gets an hour or so off on a changeover day it would be a good thing.

45 minutes ago, daiB said:

Thinking about this it is clearly not fleet wide. We were serviced on the first day of both of our back to back cruises, last month on Ventura. I did ask the butler if there had been any change and he said no. In October on Oriana it was exactly the same.

So there appears to be differences between ships.

Having said that, I can see that if it means the cabin steward gets an hour or so off on a changeover day it would be a good thing.

Either a difference between ships or onboard management decisions when the hotel manager changes perhaps.

I don’t think most people will notice if it happens (and they will of course have to make provision for any cabins with 3rd or 4th berths).

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Either a difference between ships or onboard management decisions when the hotel manager changes perhaps.

I don’t think most people will notice if it happens (and they will of course have to make provision for any cabins with 3rd or 4th berths).

To be honest that was my first thought as some cabins have to be serviced for night time use. We are on Britannia in July so I shall find out then. 

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Why because after May gratuities are included in your cruise fare so there is no need to give gratuities unless you receive exceptional service.

As I said less tips, no turn down first evening will be seen as poor service, no extras.

4 hours ago, daiB said:

To be honest that was my first thought as some cabins have to be serviced for night time use. We are on Britannia in July so I shall find out then. 

The trouble is that if nobody notices for one night, then I assume that they could maybe see a way to extend that to all nights.  That is what you would get in a U.K. hotel (or at least the ones I stay in).

My view, first night unpack, luggage mat on the bed, bits of suitcase lying around from the beating they have had, I would like to have the room made up.  Backward step.

14 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

The trouble is that if nobody notices for one night, then I assume that they could maybe see a way to extend that to all nights.  That is what you would get in a U.K. hotel (or at least the ones I stay in).

My view, first night unpack, luggage mat on the bed, bits of suitcase lying around from the beating they have had, I would like to have the room made up.  Backward step.

While I am ambivalent myself about day one,  I completely get your point. Just one more small cut to the service and (potentially) a slippery slope.

I would kick up a fuss if it stopped for more than the first night.  At present it seems to be limited to the very odd cruise so no sense in worrying about it.  I will watch this space however.

Many 5 star hotels in the UK (and Europe) are cutting back on this type of service  and only the realty high end ones still do it. For me it is a nice part of cruising.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

While I am ambivalent myself about day one,  I completely get your point. Just one more small cut to the service and (potentially) a slippery slope.

I would kick up a fuss if it stopped for more than the first night.  At present it seems to be limited to the very odd cruise so no sense in worrying about it.  I will watch this space however.

Many 5 star hotels in the UK (and Europe) are cutting back on this type of service  and only the realty high end ones still do it. For me it is a nice part of cruising.

I wonder if after May when autogratuities stop we will see more cutbacks in the housekeeping,bar and waiters departments?.

1 hour ago, docco said:

Still very much alive on Ventura last week.  Wouldn't be at all bothered if it went, but it is still there.  And yes, the rather nice biscuits have now gone the way of everything else that can be cut back on by the accountants.

????????

I thought you were on Azura.

9 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

One of our cabins is for 3 of us and we sail on Friday.

Does this mean we’ll get the service?

4 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

One of our cabins is for 3 of us and we sail on Friday.

Does this mean we’ll get the service?

Yes don't worry.

The cabin steward usually leave a card with their name and number on or you could ring housekeeping from your cabin phone if you need anything.

Graham

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes don't worry.

The cabin steward usually leave a card with their name and number on or you could ring housekeeping from your cabin phone if you need anything.

Graham

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Just to lay the ghost of this one, the whole thing seems to have been based on a misconception.  The evening room service lives on, as do the tiny chocolate squares.

The biscuits, though, as mentioned above, are now very plain and boring indeed.  Take your own if you're a biscuit lover.

6 minutes ago, Jim Cox said:

Just to lay the ghost of this one, the whole thing seems to have been based on a misconception.  The evening room service lives on, as do the tiny chocolate squares.

The biscuits, though, as mentioned above, are now very plain and boring indeed.  Take your own if you're a biscuit lover.

Great, that's good to know.

As the originator of this thread, there was no misconception. If you read through you will see that different room grades on different decks did not get a room tidy on the first night with numerous people stating it as fact.

The cabin stewards in unison appear to have told the occupants that it would not happen on the first night, which it didn’t.

We were fortunate to have been in a suite and for the first time ever we did not meet the butler until the second day. Again a fact and not a misconception.

As the originator of this thread, there was no misconception. If you read through you will see that different room grades on different decks did not get a room tidy on the first night with numerous people stating it as fact.

The cabin stewards in unison appear to have told the occupants that it would not happen on the first night, which it didn’t.

We were fortunate to have been in a suite and for the first time ever we did not meet the butler until the second day. Again a fact and not a misconception.

7 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

My apologies - I wasn't intending in any way to suggest that what you posted was incorrect. Merely that a misconception had arisen that it reflected a general policy change.

12 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

I agree with you.

I started a similar thread a while back because our cabin steward in a suite on Oceana in November on a 2 night cruise insisted when we first saw her that there was no service that night so we asked for more towels which we got.

Our Butler said he had just started a new contract that day and wasn't aware of this.

After our cruise we rang P&O and were specifically told this was a trial.

We believed this although I thought later they were covering their employee(CS) as the supposed trial never materialised as others have reported although 1 or 2 have reported being told the same by their CS which suggests lazy CS.

Someone on here said these things are false and I agree with you what some of us have experienced is true not a misconception.