Vero Water® purification system

shuguley

I assume that you can still get Perrier or San Pellagrino.  

In terms of filling bottles, I would not drink water from the tap.  I know that it won't kill you or even make you sick but the few times that brown water has come out of the tap made me realize that I'd have to be desperate to drink that stuff.  If you have ever had the brown water come out and hit the white washcloths, you would know how difficult it is to get out.  However, if you don't mind drinking rust, go for it.

In the suite, I have no problem drinking the "Vero Water" - as long as it is cold.

I totally support the changes that Regent is implementing. Gilly, your Vapor water bottle solves  my first question. My second question is how the water bottles themselves are cleaned. I would want mine washed  every pm after daily use. Are they switching out bottles every pm? Are you able to specifically label your bottle to avoid mixed up sips. Lastly involves refilling. I know at hospital we can not bring patients water pitcher to ice/water dispenser but instead bring ice in disposable plastic bag ( there is pesky plastic again) or fill cups with ice and transport to patients water pitcher in rooms. I bet Regent has answers to these type questions which might  put minds at ease. 

Edited by travelwell

Yes you can still get San Pellegrino and Perrier if you wish.  And yes, as someone else said, the water for going ashore is still the inventory of disposable single use bottles.  I don't know what they plan to do once they are depleted.

I'm OK with the elimination of plastic water bottles on Regent.  I lived most of my life without them and can no doubt survive on Regent going forward.  I do find it an absolute hoot, however, that Regent cruisers are so worried about the environment.  You would be hard pressed to find a lifestyle with a higher environmental/carbon footprint than meandering from port to port on a luxury cruise ship and no doubt flying business class air to get to and from the ship!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have an update on the rollout of this new system?  Specifically on Voyager.  Are plastic water bottles still used for excursions?  Have any of the issues discussed in this thread, such as washing and refilling bottles, been addressed?

I'd be very  interested in this answer as well. I bought the rollup water bottles since they seemed like a good idea for us in other situations, but I don't know how you would refill it onboard. Do I need to bring a funnel to fill it from a glass bottle. 

What I am very concerned about  is the washing and refilling of bottles. I would rather drink out of the faucet on a cruise ship than have the bottles refilled from a public source.

3 hours ago, ROLLTIDE2 said:

Does anyone have an update on the rollout of this new system?  Specifically on Voyager.  Are plastic water bottles still used for excursions?  Have any of the issues discussed in this thread, such as washing and refilling bottles, been addressed?

Having just returned from a cruise, Rome to Barcelona on Seven Seas Voyager, I can confirm that the Vero water bottles are in your suites and probably changed every time your suite is made up. Also the water bottles are used in all of the restaurants and dining areas. When going off the ship plastic water bottles are distributed, some chilled and some not.

As for cleaning the Vero bottles I wouldn’t know, but I would certainly say that they are too heavy to take ashore. 

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll be drinking out of the faucet unless our room steward can reassure me about where the water bottles come from each day, and how they're cleaned and refilled. There's too many onboard illnesses on a cruise ship that can be spread by a water bottle used by other passengers so I'm not feeling good about this. I've never been told on a cruise ship that I can't drink the water from the faucet, and I've always used it to brush my teeth, and haven't had a problem. Of course, it it's brown from the faucet, that's another problem.

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll be drinking out of the faucet unless our room steward can reassure me about where the water bottles come from each day, and how they're cleaned and refilled. I've never been told on a cruise ship that I can't drink the water from the faucet, and I've always used it to brush my teeth, and haven't had a problem. Of course, if it's brown from the faucet, that's another problem.

Just think of it as a bit of added "iron supplement" in your diet.  Another "Regent Benefit"!  😊

The brown water from the faucet won’t hurt you.  It just looks insightly and stains fabric.  Currently on Silversea Cloud and have intermittently had brown water, so it is not a problem unique to Regent.

13 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll be drinking out of the faucet unless our room steward can reassure me about where the water bottles come from each day, and how they're cleaned and refilled. There's too many onboard illnesses on a cruise ship that can be spread by a water bottle used by other passengers so I'm not feeling good about this. I've never been told on a cruise ship that I can't drink the water from the faucet, and I've always used it to brush my teeth, and haven't had a problem. Of course, it it's brown from the faucet, that's another problem.

Why do you think Regent would take less care of ensuring the water bottles are sanitary than they do to make sure the plates you eat off, the utensils you eat with and the glasses you drink out of are sanitary?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Why do you think Regent would take less care of ensuring the water bottles are sanitary than they do to make sure the plates you eat off, the utensils you eat with and the glasses you drink out of are sanitary?

Because I know that the utensils, plates, and  glasses in the restaurant are washed and sanitized by placing them in a commercial dishwasher between use by guests. They've learned how to limit the spread of illnesses onboard when it comes to the dining room.

I don't know how the water bottles are cleaned. Since this is something new for Regent, they may need to "work out the bugs" of keeping the bottles from cross contaminating guests (pun intended).

I wash the cups and glasses in my cabin with soap and water before using them, and wash any fruit that we eat from the fruit bowl in the cabin.

38 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Because I know that the utensils, plates, and  glasses in the restaurant are washed and sanitized by placing them in a commercial dishwasher between use by guests. They've learned how to limit the spread of illnesses onboard when it comes to the dining room.

I don't know how the water bottles are cleaned. Since this is something new for Regent, they may need to "work out the bugs" of keeping the bottles from cross contaminating guests (pun intended).

I wash the cups and glasses in my cabin with soap and water before using them, and wash any fruit that we eat from the fruit bowl in the cabin.

Am taken aback by your post.  We have never washed our cups, glasses or fruit on our 33 Regent cruises.  However, we also won't drink water out of the tap.

I am intrigued by a story that I assume is on the news for most of the country....... the woman that was found alive in Hawaii after many days.  She had a "straw" that took out contaminants from the water and made it safe to drink.

For anyone in an area where the water supply could become contaminated (including cruise ships), I think we should look more into these "straws" (that are really not straws).  They would be good not only on cruise ships but after tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes etc.  Anything that could save your live is a good thing! 

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Am taken aback by your post.  We have never washed our cups, glasses or fruit on our 33 Regent cruises.  However, we also won't drink water out of the tap.

I am intrigued by a story that I assume is on the news for most of the country....... the woman that was found alive in Hawaii after many days.  She had a "straw" that took out contaminants from the water and made it safe to drink.

For anyone in an area where the water supply could become contaminated (including cruise ships), I think we should look more into these "straws" (that are really not straws).  They would be good not only on cruise ships but after tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes etc.  Anything that could save your live is a good thing! 

Actually, I read that story and was planning to do some research on those for this coming hurricane season. Having a few of those for use after hurricanes here in SW Florida might be helpful We currently rely on purchased gallon bottles of purified water. After that, we fill our bathtubs with water when a storm is approaching, and bleach it a few gallons at a time using CDC guidelines as our backup. We have a brita filter to remove any residual chlorine.

Many years ago we had a small press-type water purifier with iodine laced charcoal inside. We used it in a number of places in the Caribbean where we didn't trust the tap water to brush our teeth. It tasted bad, so we drank bottled water (or anything else in a bottle if we ran out of bottled water during the night - a cold beer during the night helps you get back to sleep).

But since then, RO water is readily available, and if we hear a water maker running, we don't worry about the tap water. This has worked for us very well for quite a few years.

I'm not worried about the water from the tap. I'm worried about having a glass water bottle brought to my cabin that another passenger with the flu, or norovirus, or even a cold, has been drinking from. I'm sure the woman lost in the wilderness in Hawaii didn't have to worry about catching a virus from another person lost nearby.