Unsold Staterooms

OKCowboy

We have an upcoming Viking Ocean cruise and I note there are some unsold PV and higher staterooms above our DV level. We're two weeks away and I wonder if anyone has had experience in getting a stateroom upgrade by paying Viking. While I understand Viking might hold off hoping to sell the stateroom until sailing, it would make financial sense to offer higher staterooms at a cost significant less than the advertised difference between the two stateroom categories.

We were offered a relatively last-minute upgrade from a PV1 to a PS1 at a discounted price but declined because we preferred the location of our PV1 cabin.  Of course, if you're really lucky, the upgrade fairly will favor you with a free upgrade.  Hasn't happened to me but if the posts here are to be believed, they do happen.

17 hours ago, cocopico said:

We were offered a relatively last-minute upgrade from a PV1 to a PS1 at a discounted price but declined because we preferred the location of our PV1 cabin.  Of course, if you're really lucky, the upgrade fairly will favor you with a free upgrade.  Hasn't happened to me but if the posts here are to be believed, they do happen.

When are upgrades offered?  A few weeks before the cruise, I suppose?  Did Viking email you?

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When are upgrades offered?  A few weeks before the cruise, I suppose?  Did Viking email you?

As I recall, it was about two to three weeks before the cruise and they had more than one cabin in the upgrade category available so there was some choice.  Viking did email me with the offer.

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways and conventional wisdom has yet to figure out his/her modus operandi. We keep trying but, alas, to no avail. :classic_ninja:(sorry, I wanted something with a magic wand but has to settle for a ninja).

• Like 1

I wouldn't give up hope. We were offered an upgrade from PV to PS for $399 per person (15 day cruise) at about 10 days prior.

Sometimes folks get free upgrades.

I would recommend reviewing the ship deck plans to see where the next category of cabins are located.

We did this and were prepared to specify which deck and which side of the ship we wanted for the PS.

Good luck!

21 hours ago, OKCowboy said:

We have an upcoming Viking Ocean cruise and I note there are some unsold PV and higher staterooms above our DV level. We're two weeks away and I wonder if anyone has had experience in getting a stateroom upgrade by paying Viking. While I understand Viking might hold off hoping to sell the stateroom until sailing, it would make financial sense to offer higher staterooms at a cost significant less than the advertised difference between the two stateroom categories.

Hi OKCowboy - I think we are on the same Jupiter W.Europe cruise - and I also checked and was wondering the same thing!

Have not received anything from Viking, so not sure what gives.  Was thinking of sending them an email and seeing what happens.  Couldn't hurt I guess.  Although we have a nicely positioned DV2 room midships - not sure I'd want to give that up for a PV room that is at the front of the ship!

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Although we have a nicely positioned DV2 room midships - not sure I'd want to give that up for a PV room that is at the front of the ship!

Exactly! My DV4 may be smaller than the PV but at least it is amidship. I would have to think really hard about accepting the upgrade, even if it were complimentary.

We have been in a PV1 (6008) which is high and far forward.  Skirted Hurricane Michael last Oct on Eastern Seaboard Explorer with 65 knot winds and 20 foot seas with no problems.  Didn't really have that much more movement than when we were out and about midships.  We really enjoyed that cabin, little to no traffic and very quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just some advice gained from our TA which we disembarked yesterday. We were in a DV4 midship (4066) and had unexpected noise presumably from the lifeboats located at deck three level just below us.  Nothing terrible but we did notice it and recalled how much more w enjoyed the sound of the bow wave.  We agreed that if we are lucky enough to cruise Viking again that we will stay away from mid-ship staterooms near the lifeboats. 

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just some advice gained from our TA which we disembarked yesterday. We were in a DV4 midship (4066) and had unexpected noise presumably from the lifeboats located at deck three level just below us.  Nothing terrible but we did notice it and recalled how much more w enjoyed the sound of the bow wave.  We agreed that if we are lucky enough to cruise Viking again that we will stay away from mid-ship staterooms near the lifeboats. 

On the other hand, we were in same cabin on the Sky in December and heard nothing. We had had the noise thing in 4082, like a chain slapping, unpredicatable, too. However, what did bother me about both 4066 and 4082 was the little jut out at the foot of the bed, the one I had to remember was there so I wouldn't stub a toe or bang a hip. It runs floor to ceiling so it must be something structural. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, ropomo said:

We have been in a PV1 (6008) which is high and far forward.  Skirted Hurricane Michael last Oct on Eastern Seaboard Explorer with 65 knot winds and 20 foot seas with no problems.  Didn't really have that much more movement than when we were out and about midships.  We really enjoyed that cabin, little to no traffic and very quiet.

We’ve been in that same area (but on the starboard side) on four cruises.  I second your comments — deck six forward is a great location!