Sign before sauna/salt room says not to wear eyeglasses, jewelry, or watches. Why?

slugg

I was watching a video tour of the thermal spa on the Breakaway. It said in front of the spa, steam room, and salt room, that you shouldn’t wear eye glasses, jewelry, or watches. What is the reasoning? I can somewhat understand glasses, but not jewelry and watches. Is it more of a suggestion, or is it a rule?

On board now and we have the Thermal Spa pass. The salt room is corrosive to metal if exposed for long repeated amounts of time. I wear my watches that are stainless divers into everything and nothing has happened. Just rinse everything off in fresh water after the thermal spa area. Just a suggestion or at your own risk. 

Edited by tallnthensome

Ok. Yea, the watch I plan on wearing (and don’t intend on removing) is absolutely over-engineered and can withstand heavy salt, steam, and general harshness without any issues. Sounds like you have something similar. My ring is made of 904L steel, just like my watch. My wife’s jewelry is also platinum. Never been an issue in hot tubs or the ocean, so I figured it’s okay. 

Sounds like this is a “covering our behinds” situation so they’re not liable for corrosion or water intrusion in someone’s jewelry. Does that sound about right?

I was forced to remove my dive watch for the wave simulator thing on Royal Caribbean. It wasn’t a suggestion! So that’s why I asked. 

15 hours ago, slugg said:

I was watching a video tour of the thermal spa on the Breakaway. It said in front of the spa, steam room, and salt room, that you shouldn’t wear eye glasses, jewelry, or watches. What is the reasoning? I can somewhat understand glasses, but not jewelry and watches. Is it more of a suggestion, or is it a rule?

Jewelry and watches tend to get hot and cause burns, that is why not to use them in the spa or sauna. Glasses are the same. As far as the salt room lengthy exposure to the "salt" air might cause corrosion or damage and NCL doesn't want to be liable.

• Thanks 1